: The Baseball Thread!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Dr.G.
Aug 26th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Iím wondering if any of the readers of this thread would be interested in some of the history of MLB. I know that you and I , Mark, talk quite a bit about baseball, just wondering if any other ehMacers are interested. Iíve been doing some research on the Browns lately and would be willing to post some of my stuff on the MLB if there are those interested in its history. My Braves would be a good example as would the Orioles,

I know that I would love to talk about baseball history ........... although I am Marc with a "c" .................. and not CubaMark. :D

Rps
Aug 26th, 2018, 05:28 PM
I know that I would love to talk about baseball history ........... although I am Marc with a "c" .................. and not CubaMark. :D

Sorry about that Marc! My iPad seems to auto correct between posts, it is frustrating. It also drops whole posts for some unknown reason. Guess I will have to use my laptop . Might be time to give my grandson the iPad.

Dr.G.
Aug 26th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Sorry about that Marc! My iPad seems to auto correct between posts, it is frustrating. It also drops whole posts for some unknown reason. Guess I will have to use my laptop . Might be time to give my grandson the iPad.

No problem. While I lived in Athens, GA I saw many an Atlanta Braves game, especially when they went up against the NY Mets or SF Giants.

Rps
Aug 28th, 2018, 02:18 PM
So now we know where Joeybats is going. Nice pickup and a signal the Mets are done.

Dr.G.
Aug 28th, 2018, 02:41 PM
So now we know where Joeybats is going. Nice pickup and a signal the Mets are done.

Sad, but all too true for the Mets. Just saw the headlines "Mets trade veteran slugger Jose Bautista to Phillies in time for playoff push" ............... a push for the Phillies and NOT the Mets. :(

Dr.G.
Aug 28th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Speaking of the Phillies, a great matchup this evening.

Scherzer WAS SP 16-6, 2.13 ERA, 0.89 WHIP

Nola PHI SP 15-3, 2.13 ERA, 0.97 WHIP

Rps
Aug 29th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Speaking of the Phillies, a great matchup this evening.

Scherzer WAS SP 16-6, 2.13 ERA, 0.89 WHIP

Nola PHI SP 15-3, 2.13 ERA, 0.97 WHIP

Cy Young determiner?

Excellent article in the Washington Post....well worth the read and I wish I wrote it.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/baseball-cliches/?noredirect=on

Dr.G.
Aug 29th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Cy Young determiner?

Excellent article in the Washington Post....well worth the read and I wish I wrote it.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/baseball-cliches/?noredirect=on

Only Nola pitched well. Cry Young or Cy Young???????? Remember, only the good "cry young". :D

Dr.G.
Aug 29th, 2018, 03:41 PM

A very interesting article. Where are Yogi and Casey Stengel when we need them???

Rps
Aug 29th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Marc if I voted it would be deGromm. There are 5 in the NL who would all be good choices and each leading in a different segment. Iím an ERA guy, deGromm has it for ERA but his win record will probably kill his chances. As wins are everything, Nola would be my choice if you take ERA out and judge by the rest of the criteria. Donít the stars aligne that Sherz and Nola will pitch against each other again?

Rps
Aug 29th, 2018, 03:48 PM
A very interesting article. Where are Yogi and Casey Stengel when we need them???

Wouldnít Yogi and Casey be a cliche..........no, they are originals 😁😁😁

Dr.G.
Aug 29th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Wouldnít Yogi and Casey be a cliche..........no, they are originals 😁😁😁

:lmao::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

True. As Casey would say "You could look it up." :D

Dr.G.
Aug 29th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Marc if I voted it would be deGromm. There are 5 in the NL who would all be good choices and each leading in a different segment. Iím an ERA guy, deGromm has it for ERA but his win record will probably kill his chances. As wins are everything, Nola would be my choice if you take ERA out and judge by the rest of the criteria. Donít the stars aligne that Sherz and Nola will pitch against each other again?

We are in agreement here, Rp. He pitched another strong game yesterday ..... which the Mets lost today. :(

Dr.G.
Aug 29th, 2018, 08:56 PM
Why is it when there is a discussion at the mound, everyone covers their mouth with their glove?????

Rps
Aug 30th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Why is it when there is a discussion at the mound, everyone covers their mouth with their glove?????

Itís to prevent opposition players from ďseeingĒ hat is being said. All dugouts have TV screens today so the manager can pick up the discussion, and players on the field maybe able to lip read from talks on the mound. Iím not sure what series started this but Iíll check. Rumour has it that an opponent lip read the discussion and turned that to his advantage.

Dr.G.
Aug 30th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Itís to prevent opposition players from ďseeingĒ hat is being said. All dugouts have TV screens today so the manager can pick up the discussion, and players on the field maybe able to lip read from talks on the mound. Iím not sure what series started this but Iíll check. Rumour has it that an opponent lip read the discussion and turned that to his advantage.

That is a reasonable explanation but still a bit useless in my opinion.

The manager tells his pitcher "Hang in there" ............ the catcher then tells the pitcher "strike him out" ........... the other infielders all say in unison "we are behind you". Can't have anyone know those thoughts, can they????????? :D

Rps
Aug 30th, 2018, 02:07 PM
More likely it would be, ďyou havenít thrown your breaking ball yetĒ, or ď if player X has a 10 ft lead toss over to firstĒ, or my favourite was Williams order ď you have two strikes but this guy hits you all the time, so, fake a walk...toss 3 pitches then on the fourth fast ball down the pipeĒ. It worked and thus a famous strike out.

Dr.G.
Aug 30th, 2018, 04:16 PM
More likely it would be, ďyou havenít thrown your breaking ball yetĒ, or ď if player X has a 10 ft lead toss over to firstĒ, or my favourite was Williams order ď you have two strikes but this guy hits you all the time, so, fake a walk...toss 3 pitches then on the fourth fast ball down the pipeĒ. It worked and thus a famous strike out.

Logical. :clap:

Happ is pitching for the Yanks tonight. We shall see if he can continue his winning ways.

Dr.G.
Aug 31st, 2018, 12:19 PM
Well, the Yankees traded with the Giants to get Andrew McCutchen. This may actually help them. We shall see.

Rps
Aug 31st, 2018, 01:42 PM
Well, the Yankees traded with the Giants to get Andrew McCutchen. This may actually help them. We shall see.

Well I knew Cutch was going just had the wrong NY team. The Giants have conceded the season and are only 8 out ... when you consider they have 3 series with. WC holders they caved too early. Also, that management by committee of the Mets has to go.....Iím sure my sources were correct that the Mets could have had him. The Yanks certainly have nerve....havenít read what it will cost them as yet.

Dr.G.
Aug 31st, 2018, 02:04 PM
Well I knew Cutch was going just had the wrong NY team. The Giants have conceded the season and are only 8 out ... when you consider they have 3 series with. WC holders they caved too early. Also, that management by committee of the Mets has to go.....Iím sure my sources were correct that the Mets could have had him. The Yanks certainly have nerve....havenít read what it will cost them as yet.

The Yankees gave up two minor league players and some cash. I have NOT given up on the Giants yet.

Dr.G.
Aug 31st, 2018, 10:07 PM
https://www.mlb.com/news/josh-donaldson-traded-to-indians/c-292746468

Sad. :( JD was one of my favorite Jays.

Dr.G.
Aug 31st, 2018, 11:09 PM
The Milwaukee Brewers just acquired Curtis Granderson from the Toronto Blue Jays. Gone is another one of my favorite Jays. :(

Rps
Sep 1st, 2018, 01:45 PM
The Milwaukee Brewers just acquired Curtis Granderson from the Toronto Blue Jays. Gone is another one of my favorite Jays. :(

CG was a lock to be moved. JD was a harder call. But, my spidey sense tells me that the Jays management was not exactly forth coming with the issue with him. I also wouldnít trade to a contender in my league if possible. There is more to this than meets the eye. Again they need to say goodbye to the Pres and GM committee. They Jays are in trouble and it starts at the top.

Dr.G.
Sep 1st, 2018, 03:27 PM
CG was a lock to be moved. JD was a harder call. But, my spidey sense tells me that the Jays management was not exactly forth coming with the issue with him. I also wouldnít trade to a contender in my league if possible. There is more to this than meets the eye. Again they need to say goodbye to the Pres and GM committee. They Jays are in trouble and it starts at the top.

" They Jays are in trouble and it starts at the top." Sad, but all too true, mon ami. Still, yesterday's game had a great 9th inning if you were a Jays fan. :clap::clap::clap:

Dr.G.
Sep 1st, 2018, 06:58 PM
Sept. 28th, 1941, Ted Williams goes 6 for 8 in a season ending double header to finish the year with a .406 . Then, on Sept. 28th, 1960, Ted Williams, on his last at bat, hits a home run at Fenway Park in Boston.

Dr.G.
Sep 2nd, 2018, 06:38 PM
Sadly, Syndergaard did this against my SF Giants. :(
9.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 11 SO, 1 BB

Dr.G.
Sep 4th, 2018, 10:55 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2793941-how-the-nationals-completely-ruined-the-bryce-harper-era?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

An interesting article about the Washington Nats.

Dr.G.
Sep 4th, 2018, 01:33 PM
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-the-blue-jays-awfulness-is-now-a-matter-of-fact/

Another interesting and sad article.

Rps
Sep 4th, 2018, 02:24 PM
To me the unwritten gist of the two articles is the strength of the farm system. Letís face it the Red Sox and Yanks have depth. Two teams with an outstanding farm system are Atlanta and, it was also the reason I picked them as my contending teams, the Padres. The Padres didnít workout this year but wait till next year and beyond by one or so...lookout. The Braves never worried about brining guys up last year and look where they are...way ahead of schedule.

The Nats just donít gel as a team....as for the Jays....itís the front office. They are like the Leafs in some ways....no team can be successful I. The NHL without having an ex Leaf.....the Jays are going down that road.

Dr.G.
Sep 4th, 2018, 02:30 PM
To me the unwritten gist of the two articles is the strength of the farm system. Letís face it the Red Sox and Yanks have depth. Two teams with an outstanding farm system are Atlanta and, it was also the reason I picked them as my contending teams, the Padres. The Padres didnít workout this year but wait till next year and beyond by one or so...lookout. The Braves never worried about brining guys up last year and look where they are...way ahead of schedule.

The Nats just donít gel as a team....as for the Jays....itís the front office. They are like the Leafs in some ways....no team can be successful I. The NHL without having an ex Leaf.....the Jays are going down that road.

A valid point re the front office. It helped the SF Giants win the 2010/12/14 World Series.

Dr.G.
Sep 5th, 2018, 04:23 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/heres-what-mets-jacob-degrom-needs-in-order-to-break-doc-goodens-modern-day-era-record/

I remember Doc Gooden's 1985 ERA year. Amazing.

SINC
Sep 5th, 2018, 09:43 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Abbott

On September 4, 1993 while pitching for the New York Yankees, Jim Abbott pitched a no-hitter against the Cleveland Indians.

https://i.imgur.com/r0hdnxy.gifv

Dr.G.
Sep 5th, 2018, 01:54 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Abbott

On September 4, 1993 while pitching for the New York Yankees, Jim Abbott pitched a no-hitter against the Cleveland Indians.

https://i.imgur.com/r0hdnxy.gifv

And he did this all the while missing one hand. :eek::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I also recall that he had a 2Ė18 record in 1996, in that I was wondering if he would do worse than Roger Craig did when he pitched for the NY Mets in 1963 when he went 5 and 22 for the hapless Mets (he was 10 and 24 in the previous season).

An interesting baseball trivia question is who had the most loses in a season? The answer is Paul Derringer who was 0 and 2 with the Cards and then 7 and 25 with the Reds in the same year.

Then, of course, is Don Larsen.

Larsenís .125 winning percentage (3Ė21) in the 1954 season is the lowest mark registered for the period from 1920 forward, and eighth lowest all-time.

Larsen would be traded to the New York Yankees at the conclusion of the 1954 season. Of course, his perfect game in the 1956 World Series is what Don Larsen is most remembered for in the world of baseball trivia. :clap::clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPfWZe2T74M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roZUjcYj95k

Dr.G.
Sep 5th, 2018, 01:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mz3fRg_crE

Rps
Sep 6th, 2018, 10:43 AM
In my view, deGrom has it as it is certainly a different era than when Gooden pitched. But you could put an asterisk on every number really.

Dr.G.
Sep 6th, 2018, 02:53 PM
In my view, deGrom has it as it is certainly a different era than when Gooden pitched. But you could put an asterisk on every number really.

Well, this is an issue that has been debated for many, many years. Talk of the "dead ball" era, talk of the changes to the balls, the bats, the mounds, the field dimensions, the length of the season, the designated hitter ................... and of course, steroids ( :ptptptptp ) , etc, have always raised these sorts of issues/discussions.

Still, it is interesting to discuss who should or should not get an asterisk. Paix, mon ami.

Dr.G.
Sep 6th, 2018, 09:02 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/blue-jays-reportedly-parting-ways-with-manager-john-gibbons-after-this-season/

Rp, you called this correctly. Kudos.

Dr.G.
Sep 16th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Mets vs Boston with both pitchers having an under 2.00 ERA and under 1.00 WHIP.

J. deGrom NYM SP
8-9, 1.71 ERA, 0.95 WHIP

C. Sale BOS SP
12-4, 1.96 ERA, 0.85 WHIP

Rps
Sep 16th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Morning Marc, will be watching that one. My money will be on the Sox for this one. The Mets donít score for DeGrom....it is a trend that I see continuing.

Dr.G.
Sep 16th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Morning Marc, will be watching that one. My money will be on the Sox for this one. The Mets donít score for DeGrom....it is a trend that I see continuing.

Sadly, all too true. :(

Dr.G.
Sep 16th, 2018, 02:00 PM

Well, the Mets are certainly not hitting/scoring for him today. :(

Dr.G.
Sep 16th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Well, deGrom did his part.

J. deGrom NYM P
7.0 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 12 SO, 1 BB

Rps
Sep 17th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Well, deGrom did his part.

J. deGrom NYM P
7.0 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 12 SO, 1 BB

It is strange isnít it. The Synder can walk 8 guys, get whacked for 10 hits and win, but DeGrom he gets zip. Cy Young winners usually have wins.....that might be his drawback to winning....the best pitcher in the MLB canít steal a win.

Dr.G.
Sep 17th, 2018, 12:09 PM
It is strange isnít it. The Synder can walk 8 guys, get whacked for 10 hits and win, but DeGrom he gets zip. Cy Young winners usually have wins.....that might be his drawback to winning....the best pitcher in the MLB canít steal a win.

Again, sad, but all too true. :(

Rps
Sep 17th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Little whispers has it that the Jays may be getting a huge break. The rumble is that Shapiro will be moving to the Mets. Sorry Met fans, but if you are a Jay fan you should be dancing in the streets if this comes to pass.

Dr.G.
Sep 17th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Little whispers has it that the Jays may be getting a huge break. The rumble is that Shapiro will be moving to the Mets. Sorry Met fans, but if you are a Jay fan you should be dancing in the streets if this comes to pass.

Yes, I heard of that rumor last week. We shall see.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-talk-mets-interest-blue-jays-president-shapiro-continues/

Dr.G.
Sep 19th, 2018, 10:11 PM
Not a good night for my teams -- the Giants, the Mets and the Jays. :(

Dr.G.
Sep 20th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Wow. Quite the blowout.

Angels 3 5 1
Athletics 21 22 0

Dr.G.
Sep 20th, 2018, 08:04 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bryce-harper-odds-cubs-favorite-to-sign-soon-to-be-free-agent-slugger-this-offseason-oddsmakers-have-nationals-fifth/

An interesting possibility.

Dr.G.
Sep 21st, 2018, 03:06 PM
Jeff Banister is out as the manager of the Texas Rangers after four seasons and two AL West pennants. Of course, Texas currently sits in last place in the American League West with a 64-88 record. Still, a manager does not bat, field or pitch.

Dr.G.
Sep 21st, 2018, 03:08 PM
Sadly, my SF Giants were eliminated yesterday. So much for the luck of the even year, after winning the World Series in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Such is Life.

Rps
Sep 21st, 2018, 04:06 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bryce-harper-odds-cubs-favorite-to-sign-soon-to-be-free-agent-slugger-this-offseason-oddsmakers-have-nationals-fifth/

An interesting possibility.

I havenít checked the Nats payroll but I think it is more likely Harper is gone and the Nats might not put up too much of a fuss.

What is interesting is that the Giants would be a nice fit for him....but the Giants payroll at about 200 million needs some work. They could swing it but they would have to dump some salary and not sure who would be going. The Cubs have room and Harper is in The NL. Now a long shot would be the Mets....they have some dead salary but could use his bat. So who would go.....Conforto, Jackson and a few pitchers, maybe Bruce. Nimmo would be hands off. Then thereís Syndergaard......his name keeps cropping up.

Rps
Sep 21st, 2018, 04:11 PM
Jeff Banister is out as the manager of the Texas Rangers after four seasons and two AL West pennants. Of course, Texas currently sits in last place in the American League West with a 64-88 record. Still, a manager does not bat, field or pitch.

He wonít be alone....Baltimore, Toronto, Royals, and maybe even the Giants. Managers on the cusp are in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati. Detroit will be an interesting situation as well.

Dr.G.
Sep 21st, 2018, 06:19 PM
I havenít checked the Nats payroll but I think it is more likely Harper is gone and the Nats might not put up too much of a fuss.

What is interesting is that the Giants would be a nice fit for him....but the Giants payroll at about 200 million needs some work. They could swing it but they would have to dump some salary and not sure who would be going. The Cubs have room and Harper is in The NL. Now a long shot would be the Mets....they have some dead salary but could use his bat. So who would go.....Conforto, Jackson and a few pitchers, maybe Bruce. Nimmo would be hands off. Then thereís Syndergaard......his name keeps cropping up.

Interesting speculations, Rp. The Giants need to be healthy next year.

As for Harper ............... https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bryce-harper-odds-cubs-favorite-to-sign-soon-to-be-free-agent-slugger-this-offseason-oddsmakers-have-nationals-fifth/

Dr.G.
Sep 21st, 2018, 06:20 PM
He wonít be alone....Baltimore, Toronto, Royals, and maybe even the Giants. Managers on the cusp are in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati. Detroit will be an interesting situation as well.

No, the Giants will keep BB ................ he took them to the "big dance" three times this decade.

Dr.G.
Sep 22nd, 2018, 07:08 PM
Jays win :) ............... Giants lose :( .............. Mets lose ........ with only one hit. :(

Dr.G.
Sep 22nd, 2018, 09:17 PM
An interesting record was set tonight. Cleveland became the first team to have four pitchers on the team with 200 or more strikeouts in the same season.

Kluber , Clevinger, Carrasco & Bauer

Dr.G.
Sep 25th, 2018, 01:36 PM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/bobby-evans-steps-down-as-giants-gm/c-295863468

Such is Life. Hopefully, they will keep Bruce Bochy, the manager of the San Francisco Giants. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Sep 25th, 2018, 01:40 PM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/each-mlb-teams-all-time-ace-pitcher/c-295642832

Interesting, if you like stats as I do.

Rps
Sep 25th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Well I think we could see the GM done. But Bochy is next...new GMs have a habit of replacing managers.

Dr.G.
Sep 25th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Well I think we could see the GM done. But Bochy is next...new GMs have a habit of replacing managers.

No!!!!!!! Say it ain't so, Rp. Say it ain't so. :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQveng3Wxz8

Rps
Sep 25th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Virtually all of those pitchers were in the era of complete games. Todayís pitchers hit 6 innings and done.

There is some talk that the Cubs may be thinking about a manager change........go figure that one.....it would be right up there with the Yanks .

Dr.G.
Sep 25th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Virtually all of those pitchers were in the era of complete games. Todayís pitchers hit 6 innings and done.

There is some talk that the Cubs may be thinking about a manager change........go figure that one.....it would be right up there with the Yanks .

So true. Now, a complete game is a rare situation. :(

Dr.G.
Sep 26th, 2018, 04:49 PM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/madison-bumgarner-lifts-giants-in-12th-inning/c-296055958

In the 1950s, the Brooklyn Dodgers used to use Don Newcomb as a pinch hitter .............. and even batted him cleanup when he was pitching one day.

Dr.G.
Sep 26th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jays beat Houston, 3-1

Dr.G.
Sep 27th, 2018, 11:53 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/john-gibbons-blue-jays-1.4839158

I always liked him as the manager of the Jays.

Rps
Sep 27th, 2018, 12:46 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/john-gibbons-blue-jays-1.4839158

I always liked him as the manager of the Jays.

Well I never really had him on my wish list. I always found him too conservative for my tastes. While he did manage them to an almost WS appearance ( a bit of bad luck vs a good team prevented it. ) I think he did a very good job this year. It would seem 2018 is the year of the injury and he put a credible team together and they played well under the circumstances.....if I were the GM ( and a new one is coming ) I would keep him another year or so but itís not to be.

Dr.G.
Sep 27th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Well I never really had him on my wish list. I always found him too conservative for my tastes. While he did manage them to an almost WS appearance ( a bit of bad luck vs a good team prevented it. ) I think he did a very good job this year. It would seem 2018 is the year of the injury and he put a credible team together and they played well under the circumstances.....if I were the GM ( and a new one is coming ) I would keep him another year or so but itís not to be.

Good points, Rp. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Sep 27th, 2018, 06:23 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/why-mets-jacob-degrom-has-taken-over-the-nl-cy-young-race-and-deserves-to-win-the-award/

I agree.

Dr.G.
Sep 27th, 2018, 06:48 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/john-gibbons-blue-jays-houston-astros-1.4840000?cmp=FB_Post_News

Dr.G.
Sep 29th, 2018, 01:20 PM
On this day in baseball history -- In 1954 during Game 1 of the World Series at the Polo Ground in NYC. THE CATCH, by Willie Mays .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dK6zPbkFnE

Dr.G.
Sep 29th, 2018, 03:15 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-set-new-single-season-mlb-record-with-265th-home-run-of-2018-thanks-to-gleyber-torres/

And this is with Judge out for nearly two months.

Dr.G.
Sep 30th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Going down to the wire in the NL West. Hopefully the Giants can spoil it for the LA Dodgers. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Sep 30th, 2018, 04:42 PM
My SF Giants are getting pounded by the LA Dodgers. :( :( :(

Dr.G.
Sep 30th, 2018, 05:57 PM
The NY Mets gave him one run, but that was all he needed.

N. Syndergaard NYM P 9.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 6 SO, 0 BB

Dr.G.
Oct 3rd, 2018, 03:49 AM
The Rockies are heading to the NLDS after a marathon win over the Cubs at Wrigley Field. :(

eMacMan
Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:01 AM
The Rockies are heading to the NLDS after a marathon win over the Cubs at Wrigley Field. :(

As a Colorado Springs sports writer said: 'The Rox are incapable of doing it the easy way.'

Dr.G.
Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:16 AM
As a Colorado Springs sports writer said: 'The Rox are incapable of doing it the easy way.'

True.

Rps
Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:22 AM

Well, in another thread I mentioned be afraid of the Rockies.....now we will see if that is true. Secretly or not so, MLB is wishing for a Yanks/Sox ALCS and a Dodger/donít care NLCS.

As a Braves fan would love to see them and my season start choice Cleveland in the WS.

Chicago will be interesting to watch in the off season. Jays might be able to pickup a manager.

Dr.G.
Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:36 AM
Well, in another thread I mentioned be afraid of the Rockies.....now we will see if that is true. Secretly or not so, MLB is wishing for a Yanks/Sox ALCS and a Dodger/donít care NLCS.

As a Braves fan would love to see them and my season start choice Cleveland in the WS.

Chicago will be interesting to watch in the off season. Jays might be able to pickup a manager.

Also, true, Rp. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 3rd, 2018, 07:09 PM
Triple plays are real rally killers. I have seen one live at Shea Stadium in NYC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4GicZ9Tjf0

Rps
Oct 3rd, 2018, 07:24 PM
Triple plays are real rally killers. I have seen one live at Shea Stadium in NYC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4GicZ9Tjf0

I saw that Nats/Giants triple on MLB. I havenít seen one live. The line out at first as a double is a killer, but to get 3 is unusual as in that game.

Dr.G.
Oct 3rd, 2018, 07:31 PM
I saw that Nats/Giants triple on MLB. I havenít seen one live. The line out at first as a double is a killer, but to get 3 is unusual as in that game.

True.

I saw the NY Mets pull off a triple play against the SF Giants ............... bases loaded with Willie Mays on deck. Boom, boom, boom and it was over and Mays had to lead off the next inning as the hitter (for the record, he did get a single at this at bat).

Dr.G.
Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:32 PM
Watching the Yankees-A's game, with the Yanks blowing it open in the 6th inning.

SINC
Oct 7th, 2018, 03:27 AM
Quite the catch!

Young Dodgers fan has perfect birthday after catching Manny Machado NLDS homer

https://sports.yahoo.com/young-dodgers-fan-makes-great-catch-manny-machados-nlds-homer-022031581.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Dr.G.
Oct 7th, 2018, 04:59 AM
Quite the catch!

Young Dodgers fan has perfect birthday after catching Manny Machado NLDS homer

https://sports.yahoo.com/young-dodgers-fan-makes-great-catch-manny-machados-nlds-homer-022031581.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

:clap::clap::clap:

Rps
Oct 7th, 2018, 09:43 AM
That was a nice catch. But I like this one.....

https://youtu.be/fxxGgv3cI5U

Dr.G.
Oct 7th, 2018, 10:10 AM
That was a nice catch. But I like this one.....

https://youtu.be/fxxGgv3cI5U

I like the catch where the ball girl in left field literally climbs up the wall in foul territory to make the catch.

Dr.G.
Oct 9th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Do or die for the Yankees tonight. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 9th, 2018, 06:09 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-vs-red-sox-four-things-new-york-must-do-to-force-an-alds-game-5/

We shall see.

Rps
Oct 9th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Marc, there is an old adage in hockey that states when you blowout a team today, you might need some of those goals tomorrow. Baseball might be the same. I think the Yanks are done.

I actually had to watch that Cleveland game twice to get my head around the wheels falling off so quickly........as for my Braves, never thought this was their year.

Dr.G.
Oct 9th, 2018, 06:30 PM
Marc, there is an old adage in hockey that states when you blowout a team today, you might need some of those goals tomorrow. Baseball might be the same. I think the Yanks are done.

I actually had to watch that Cleveland game twice to get my head around the wheels falling off so quickly........as for my Braves, never thought this was their year.

Re the Yanks, we shall see.

As for the Braves, I root for any team against the Dodgers. Go Brewers!!!!!!!

Dr.G.
Oct 14th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Interesting. Mookie Betts walks ............ goes to second on a wild pitch .............. goes to third on a wild pitch ............ scores on a passed ball.

Dr.G.
Oct 17th, 2018, 06:07 PM
A good game shaping up in LA. Should be a battle of the pitchers. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 17th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Well, the LA Dodgers got their pitching on track ............ sort of ......... :(

Dr.G.
Oct 18th, 2018, 07:24 AM
Well, at least Boston won. I hope that they go all the way. We shall see.

Rps
Oct 18th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Donít think Iíd wager on any of the teams going forward...been to strange a series so far. But MLB would love a Dodger/Red Sox final. The ratings would be huge in those markets. That said, Houston isnít really that small a market I think. Should be fun to watch.

Dr.G.
Oct 18th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Donít think Iíd wager on any of the teams going forward...been to strange a series so far. But MLB would love a Dodger/Red Sox final. The ratings would be huge in those markets. That said, Houston isnít really that small a market I think. Should be fun to watch.

Well, I have a $2 bet in ProLine on Boston.

Rps
Oct 18th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Well, I have a $2 bet in ProLine on Boston.

Hope it pays.

Dr.G.
Oct 18th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Hope it pays.

We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 18th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Great pitching matchup tonight -- Verlander vs Price.

Dr.G.
Oct 19th, 2018, 07:26 AM
The Boston Red Sox defeated the Houston Astros 4-1 on Thursday night in Game 5 of the American League Championship Series to advance to the 2018 World Series. I hope that if they meet the Dodgers they crush them in four games. We shall see.

Rps
Oct 19th, 2018, 10:05 AM
A lot of ďwhat ifíersĒ will be talking about the West/Altuve no home run which tainted this series. The Sox are pretty formidable right now.

SINC
Oct 19th, 2018, 01:32 PM
I normally watch the ALCS and the NLCS, then the Series. Not so this year for unknown reasons. Don't even know what teams are involved so I hope I can break out of this slump and watch the WS.

BReligion
Oct 19th, 2018, 02:38 PM
I normally watch the ALCS and the NLCS, then the Series. Not so this year for unknown reasons. Don't even know what teams are involved so I hope I can break out of this slump and watch the WS.

AL: Red Sox
NL: Dodgers or Brewers

..go Sox :D

BReligion

Dr.G.
Oct 19th, 2018, 05:19 PM

:eek::eek::eek:

Dr.G.
Oct 19th, 2018, 05:20 PM
AL: Red Sox
NL: Dodgers or Brewers

..go Sox :D

BReligion

:clap::clap::clap:

Dr.G.
Oct 20th, 2018, 04:09 AM
Well, the Brewers power their way to a game 7. I hope that they win. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 22nd, 2018, 09:28 AM
Should be an interesting World Series this year. We shall see.

Rps
Oct 22nd, 2018, 09:38 AM
Should be an interesting World Series this year. We shall see.

I think what will determine this series is actually the ball park the clinching game is played in.......

Dr.G.
Oct 22nd, 2018, 09:39 AM
I think what will determine this series is actually the ball park the clinching game is played in.......

Well, let's hope for a celebration at Fenway in Boston.

Dr.G.
Oct 23rd, 2018, 01:29 PM
The World Series starts tonight. Sadly, none of my teams are in the Fall Classic. Such is Life. Still, as a Giants fan, I shall be rooting for Boston to crush LA.

Rps
Oct 23rd, 2018, 01:53 PM
The World Series starts tonight. Sadly, none of my teams are in the Fall Classic. Such is Life. Still, as a Giants fan, I shall be rooting for Boston to crush LA.

Well the first game will be a pitchers duel that is for sure.....so that means an 8-1 game right?:lmao::lmao:

I would like to see the Dodgers win over Boston....its been awhile. As a Braves fan I don't have that born in hatred of the Dodgers that a Giants fan would have. New York must have seemed like Baseball Heaven in the late 40s and early 50s with the Giants, Dodgers, and the Yanks. I read somewhere that every WS from the 40s to the 60s I think had a New York Team in it.....impressive.

Dr.G.
Oct 23rd, 2018, 02:04 PM
Well the first game will be a pitchers duel that is for sure.....so that means an 8-1 game right?:lmao::lmao:

I would like to see the Dodgers win over Boston....its been awhile. As a Braves fan I don't have that born in hatred of the Dodgers that a Giants fan would have. New York must have seemed like Baseball Heaven in the late 40s and early 50s with the Giants, Dodgers, and the Yanks. I read somewhere that every WS from the 40s to the 60s I think had a New York Team in it.....impressive.

We shall see who wins tonight.

Yes, when I was growing up, there always seemed to have a NYC team in the World Series.

Dr.G.
Oct 23rd, 2018, 07:00 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/world-series-102-years-before-red-sox-vs-dodgers-it-was-babe-ruth-and-boston-vs-brooklyn/

A bit of baseball trivia.

Dr.G.
Oct 24th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Go Boston!!!!!!!!! One down and three to go.

Dr.G.
Oct 25th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Blue Jays hire Charlie Montoyo as new manager. Who???

Rps
Oct 25th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Blue Jays hire Charlie Montoyo as new manager. Who???

He is Carlos Montoyo Diaz, he was with Tampa Bay in their AAA club, and their 3rd base coach and finally bench coach. He is an ďold schoolĒ guy who might be a good choice for them. I think he should have been TBs manager...I like teams that promote from within, but the Jays grabbed him....I think heíll be okay....not my choice but a good one.

p.s. maybe they should have waited until after the WS.....much rumbles on the Dodger management fumbles in the 2 games so far.

Dr.G.
Oct 25th, 2018, 04:58 PM
He is Carlos Montoyo Diaz, he was with Tampa Bay in their AAA club, and their 3rd base coach and finally bench coach. He is an ďold schoolĒ guy who might be a good choice for them. I think he should have been TBs manager...I like teams that promote from within, but the Jays grabbed him....I think heíll be okay....not my choice but a good one.

p.s. maybe they should have waited until after the WS.....much rumbles on the Dodger management fumbles in the 2 games so far.

Well, we shall see. If the players do not perform well, it does not matter who is at the helm.

Dr.G.
Oct 26th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Would love to see Boston crush the Dodgers tonight. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 27th, 2018, 04:32 AM
2018 Game 3: Dodgers beat Red Sox 3-2 in 18 innings.
1916 Game 2: (Brooklyn) Dodgers beat Red Sox 2-1 in 14 innings.

Bug humbar. :(

Rps
Oct 27th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Morning Marc.....a bit tired after watching some of the game...could use double coffee this morning. Fox must be pulling their hair out over the length of the game.....not a game for those who only watch baseball during the Series I think.

Wouldnít want to manage todayís game......Iím surprised they didnít have the hot dog vendors pitching last night.

SINC
Oct 27th, 2018, 10:23 AM
That wasn't a game. It was two games.

Dr.G.
Oct 27th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Morning Marc.....a bit tired after watching some of the game...could use double coffee this morning. Fox must be pulling their hair out over the length of the game.....not a game for those who only watch baseball during the Series I think.

Wouldnít want to manage todayís game......Iím surprised they didnít have the hot dog vendors pitching last night.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Dr.G.
Oct 27th, 2018, 12:47 PM
That wasn't a game. It was two games.

True. :)

Dr.G.
Oct 28th, 2018, 04:19 AM
Quite the exciting last few innings of the game last night. Stayed up until 115AM to see it all. Three down and one to go for Boston.

Dr.G.
Oct 28th, 2018, 11:20 PM
BOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rps
Oct 29th, 2018, 09:42 AM
BOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

One would wonder if Roberts is in trouble.....I know he had a good record but many think he mismanaged the pitching in a couple of the games. Which brings us to Clayton K......going into a contract year he doesnít have a great post season record...which is key to big money.

Now that they have a new manager, the Jays will be interesting to watch .... will they be more like Astros or more like the Yanks.........

Dr.G.
Oct 29th, 2018, 09:58 AM
One would wonder if Roberts is in trouble.....I know he had a good record but many think he mismanaged the pitching in a couple of the games. Which brings us to Clayton K......going into a contract year he doesnít have a great post season record...which is key to big money.

Now that they have a new manager, the Jays will be interesting to watch .... will they be more like Astros or more like the Yanks.........

Re Roberts, his bullpen failed him, but I don't see him being fired.

Rps
Oct 29th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Re Roberts, his bullpen failed him, but I don't see him being fired.

Interesting article on baseball from The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/10/red-sox-world-series-2018-mlb/574162/

Dr.G.
Oct 29th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Interesting article on baseball from The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/10/red-sox-world-series-2018-mlb/574162/

Interesting points re the slow pace of play and metrics. Add to this baseball pools that look for a player stats over who wins/loses. :(

Personally, I only watched the last game in total.

Dr.G.
Oct 31st, 2018, 08:06 PM
San Francisco Giants Legend and Hall of Famer Willie McCovey passed away peacefully this afternoon at the age of 80 after losing his battle with ongoing health issues. Sad, he was one of my favorite Giants players.

Rps
Nov 1st, 2018, 11:02 AM
San Francisco Giants Legend and Hall of Famer Willie McCovey passed away peacefully this afternoon at the age of 80 after losing his battle with ongoing health issues. Sad, he was one of my favorite Giants players.

Sad indeed. He was a ďgreat playerĒ who was actually a great player. While I never watched much of the Giants in his hallmark years, they must have been a fabulous team with the two Willies.......

Dr.G.
Nov 1st, 2018, 11:52 AM
Sad indeed. He was a ďgreat playerĒ who was actually a great player. While I never watched much of the Giants in his hallmark years, they must have been a fabulous team with the two Willies.......

Yes, and add Orlando Cepeda to that lineup and it was awesome.

Dr.G.
Nov 1st, 2018, 03:14 PM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/what-willie-mccovey-meant-to-san-francisco/c-300082670

Some interesting video clips of Big Mac.

Dr.G.
Nov 2nd, 2018, 05:51 PM
Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers reach new contract to keep three-time Cy Young winner in Los Angeles through 2021

Dr.G.
Nov 2nd, 2018, 05:53 PM
MLB trade rumor buy or sell: Indians shopping veterans, including Corey Kluber -- Would the Indians really part with the likes of Kluber, Carrasco and Encarnacion?

Rps
Nov 2nd, 2018, 06:09 PM
MLB trade rumor buy or sell: Indians shopping veterans, including Corey Kluber -- Would the Indians really part with the likes of Kluber, Carrasco and Encarnacion?

Yup! Iím thinking they are in rebuild mode....watch for more movements in Cleveland.

Dr.G.
Nov 2nd, 2018, 06:29 PM
Yup! Iím thinking they are in rebuild mode....watch for more movements in Cleveland.

We shall see.

Rps
Nov 2nd, 2018, 06:41 PM
Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers reach new contract to keep three-time Cy Young winner in Los Angeles through 2021

Keyshaw would be a tough call. Huge money but ......... on the plus side he does influence the younger Giants pitchers....so....but toooooo much money for limited output over the last two years.

Dr.G.
Nov 2nd, 2018, 06:45 PM
Keyshaw would be a tough call. Huge money but ......... on the plus side he does influence the younger Giants pitchers....so....but toooooo much money for limited output over the last two years.

Not sure of his influence over the younger Giants pitchers. Did you mean Dodgers?

Rps
Nov 2nd, 2018, 08:44 PM
Not sure of his influence over the younger Giants pitchers. Did you mean Dodgers?

Mea Culpa, I meant Dodgers. In my mind I had him traded to the Giants...

Dr.G.
Nov 2nd, 2018, 09:41 PM
Mea Culpa, I meant Dodgers. In my mind I had him traded to the Giants...

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Dr.G.
Nov 6th, 2018, 06:03 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-yankees-have-cast-a-wide-net-for-pitching-and-theyre-already-discussing-kluber-other-big-names/

Interesting speculations.

Rps
Nov 7th, 2018, 09:38 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-yankees-have-cast-a-wide-net-for-pitching-and-theyre-already-discussing-kluber-other-big-names/

Interesting speculations.

Well the Jays want Happ.....NY was a good fit for him.....I donít get why the Yanks signed Sabathia for another year.....must have tonnes of money in the vault if they would want Happ as well.

Dr.G.
Nov 7th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Well the Jays want Happ.....NY was a good fit for him.....I donít get why the Yanks signed Sabathia for another year.....must have tonnes of money in the vault if they would want Happ as well.

I think that they are hoping to squeeze one more good year out of CC. We shall see.

Rps
Nov 7th, 2018, 10:58 AM
I think that they are hoping to squeeze one more good year out of CC. We shall see.

So the question is....if you could only have one leftie (between the two ) which would you take?

Dr.G.
Nov 7th, 2018, 12:35 PM
So the question is....if you could only have one leftie (between the two ) which would you take?

I would go with Happ.

Dr.G.
Nov 10th, 2018, 07:44 PM
https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/mays-willie?fbclid=IwAR335dyxXMQ62tCBVlKDp7JI1eX2olzKk6 OKWhJDvz1vGFkt0FzYRHRJw8g

My all time favorite baseball player.

Rps
Nov 11th, 2018, 12:03 PM
https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/mays-willie?fbclid=IwAR335dyxXMQ62tCBVlKDp7JI1eX2olzKk6 OKWhJDvz1vGFkt0FzYRHRJw8g

My all time favorite baseball player.

I don't think you could have chosen a better player to have as your favourite. Mine would seem kind of obscure when compared to Mays.... my fav has and will always be the Wizard of Oz! Loved seeing him play and the skill he had....not to mention the back flips.

Dr.G.
Nov 11th, 2018, 12:15 PM
I don't think you could have chosen a better player to have as your favourite. Mine would seem kind of obscure when compared to Mays.... my fav has and will always be the Wizard of Oz! Loved seeing him play and the skill he had....not to mention the back flips.

He was a good player, Rp ................. just not a truly great player. Paix, mon ami.

Rps
Nov 11th, 2018, 12:29 PM
He was a good player, Rp ................. just not a truly great player. Paix, mon ami.

Canít argue with that. While I didnít get to see him play until later in his career ( where we lived we didnít get many games on TV.....mostly Yankee games on CBS ) it would be fair to say he might have been the greatest player in my life time.

Dr.G.
Nov 11th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Canít argue with that. While I didnít get to see him play until later in his career ( where we lived we didnít get many games on TV.....mostly Yankee games on CBS ) it would be fair to say he might have been the greatest player in my life time.

Interesting. Joe Dimagio was a bit before my time, but I was able to see Ted Williams play in Yankee Stadium, along with Micky Mantle, and Stan Musial play against the Giants in the Polo Grounds. Saw Jackie Robinson play once against the Giants at Ebbets Field. Saw Hank Aaron play against the NY Mets a few times in Atlanta. As for hitters, I would have to say that they were the best I ever saw play in live action and not on TV.

SINC
Nov 12th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Ran across this interesting shot of Ty Cobb of the Detroit Tigers in 1911.

Quite the uniforms back in the day.

Dr.G.
Nov 12th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Ran across this interesting shot of Ty Cobb of the Detroit Tigers in 1911.

Quite the uniforms back in the day.

Cool. Notice his hand grip on the bat .............. up a couple of inches, which he used to his advantage by using a heavier bat than normal but slapping at the ball ..... thus getting his record setting hits ........... until Pete Rose broke his record.

Dr.G.
Nov 14th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Blake Snell of the Tampa Bay Rays and Jacob deGrom of the New York Mets were named the best pitcher in their respective league when they were announced as the 2018 Cy Young Award winners on Wednesday.

Snell won the vote ahead of Justin Verlander of the Houston Astros and Corey Kluber of the Cleveland Indians to win the American League trophy.

DeGrom beat out Max Scherzer of the Washington Nationals and Aaron Nola of the Philadelphia Phillies on the National League side.

Rps
Nov 15th, 2018, 10:21 AM
I would have voted for DeGrom. I think I might have stayed with Verlander, Kluber would have been my AL second choice.

Got to say, although the kiss of death, I was happy for Snitker as Manager of the Year. He was a long term team guy and I applaud the Braves for their loyalty from within......few are going that way today.

Rps
Nov 15th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Sinc, Cobb would have made a mockery of the shift ..... the only goal a hitter should have is getting on base...I Don care if it is a slap, walk, or hit batsman...you donít win if you donít get on. Today we have too much emphasis on the home run and not enough on base movement.

Dr.G.
Nov 15th, 2018, 10:45 AM
I would have voted for DeGrom. I think I might have stayed with Verlander, Kluber would have been my AL second choice.

Got to say, although the kiss of death, I was happy for Snitker as Manager of the Year. He was a long term team guy and I applaud the Braves for their loyalty from within......few are going that way today.

Same here re the Cy Young awards. Great minds think alike. :D:clap:

Dr.G.
Nov 15th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Sinc, Cobb would have made a mockery of the shift ..... the only goal a hitter should have is getting on base...I Don care if it is a slap, walk, or hit batsman...you donít win if you donít get on. Today we have too much emphasis on the home run and not enough on base movement.

All too true, Rp. As Wee Willie Keeler once said "Hit em where they ain't". :clap:

Dr.G.
Nov 15th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Brewers' star Christian Yelich wins 2018 NL MVP honors

Dr.G.
Nov 15th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Red Sox's Mookie Betts, Brewers' Christian Yelich win 2018 MLB MVP honors

pm-r
Nov 17th, 2018, 07:51 PM
I don't do baseball but just came across an older Apple related mishap some might be interested in if not already mentioned:
Arizona Diamondbacks coach fined for wearing Apple Watch in dugout
https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/08/apple-watch-diamondbacks/

I wonder what the fine would be for a battery operated (electronic) Timex watch, or are they allowed???

- Patrick
======

Dr.G.
Nov 17th, 2018, 07:55 PM
I don't do baseball but just came across an older Apple related mishap some might be interested in if not already mentioned:

I wonder what the fine would be for a battery operated (electronic) Timex watch, or are they allowed???

- Patrick
======

:eek::eek::eek:

Dr.G.
Nov 18th, 2018, 06:14 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/noah-syndergaard-reportedly-receiving-significant-trade-interest-but-mets-say-the-cost-would-be-steep/

BReligion
Nov 19th, 2018, 12:39 PM

- Patrick
======

MLB has a list of allowed devices in the dugouts to try to prevent cheating (high tech "sign stealing" i guess you could call it.). Apple watch isn't on the allowed list so the Diamondbacks coach was fined. Smartphones and most tech are banned from the dugout.

Sign stealing is part of the game... if you can decode the signals a catcher is passing to the pitcher because you are a base runner on second watching, that's perfectly fine. What you aren't allowed to do is have the guy in the press box or someone in the stands watching, getting the signals the signals then using an electronic device to pass them to the dugout then relay on to the players.

BReligion

pm-r
Nov 19th, 2018, 02:22 PM
Sign stealing is part of the game...

That reminds me of the old Disney cartoon films series: "Goofy Plays Baseball", "Goofy Plays Football" etc, all of which highlighted and made fun of some electronic gadgets and other signaling devices and methods. I guess it was a cat and mouse game whether they got caught or not.

- Patrick
======

Dr.G.
Nov 19th, 2018, 04:21 PM
That reminds me of the old Disney cartoon films series: "Goofy Plays Baseball", "Goofy Plays Football" etc, all of which highlighted and made fun of some electronic gadgets and other signaling devices and methods. I guess it was a cat and mouse game whether they got caught or not.

- Patrick
======

What I don't understand is why everyone covers their mouth with their glove when there is a meeting on the mound. :confused:

Dr.G.
Nov 19th, 2018, 05:20 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/cardinals-in-position-to-make-mega-offer-to-bryce-harper-or-manny-machado-team-president-says/

An interesting speculation.

pm-r
Nov 19th, 2018, 05:37 PM
What I don't understand is why everyone covers their mouth with their glove when there is a meeting on the mound.

Maybe to prevent anyone from lip-reading what they are saying????

Or they might have really bad breath from all the crap they chew and they are protecting the listener???

- Patrick
======

Dr.G.
Nov 19th, 2018, 05:39 PM
Maybe to prevent anyone from lip-reading what they are saying????

Or they might have really bad breath from all the crap they chew and they are protecting the listener???

- Patrick
======

:clap::lmao:

Strike this guy out ................ big secret. :D

Dr.G.
Nov 19th, 2018, 08:25 PM
"The Yankees have acquired left-handed starting pitcher James Paxton from the Mariners, the team announced on Monday. Top pitching prospect Justus Sheffield, outfielder Don Thompson-Williams and right-handed pitcher Erik Swanson were shipped back to the Mariners in the deal

Paxton, 30, is a very talented pitcher with a history of injury issues. Since 2014, Paxton has made 13, 13, 20, 24 and 28 starts, respectively, per season. Last season was close to his first full-time campaign, at least. He pitched to a 3.76 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 208 strikeouts in 160 1/3 innings. He also had two complete games and a shutout, which was a no-hitter.
The Yankees have acquired left-handed starting pitcher James Paxton from the Mariners, the team announced on Monday. Top pitching prospect Justus Sheffield, outfielder Don Thompson-Williams and right-handed pitcher Erik Swanson were shipped back to the Mariners in the deal

Paxton, 30, is a very talented pitcher with a history of injury issues. Since 2014, Paxton has made 13, 13, 20, 24 and 28 starts, respectively, per season. Last season was close to his first full-time campaign, at least. He pitched to a 3.76 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 208 strikeouts in 160 1/3 innings. He also had two complete games and a shutout, which was a no-hitter. "

Rps
Nov 20th, 2018, 10:14 AM
"The Yankees have acquired left-handed starting pitcher James Paxton from the Mariners, the team announced on Monday. Top pitching prospect Justus Sheffield, outfielder Don Thompson-Williams and right-handed pitcher Erik Swanson were shipped back to the Mariners in the deal

Paxton, 30, is a very talented pitcher with a history of injury issues. Since 2014, Paxton has made 13, 13, 20, 24 and 28 starts, respectively, per season. Last season was close to his first full-time campaign, at least. He pitched to a 3.76 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 208 strikeouts in 160 1/3 innings. He also had two complete games and a shutout, which was a no-hitter.
The Yankees have acquired left-handed starting pitcher James Paxton from the Mariners, the team announced on Monday. Top pitching prospect Justus Sheffield, outfielder Don Thompson-Williams and right-handed pitcher Erik Swanson were shipped back to the Mariners in the deal

Paxton, 30, is a very talented pitcher with a history of injury issues. Since 2014, Paxton has made 13, 13, 20, 24 and 28 starts, respectively, per season. Last season was close to his first full-time campaign, at least. He pitched to a 3.76 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 208 strikeouts in 160 1/3 innings. He also had two complete games and a shutout, which was a no-hitter. "

So, I wonder if the Yanks have given up on signing Happ?

BReligion
Nov 20th, 2018, 10:27 AM
:clap::lmao:

Strike this guy out ................ big secret. :D

No secrets here (Language warning for those offended by the F word)Ö

W9665weLclE

But in all seriousness with only 6 visits per game now, they relay a lot more in those mound visits then they used to.

BReligion

Rps
Nov 20th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Man, have theses guys never seen a football game....they teal from each other all the time. Next thing you know they will have radio ear pieces to communicate with each other.....

Dr.G.
Nov 20th, 2018, 10:47 AM
So, I wonder if the Yanks have given up on signing Happ?

I hope not. I like Happ.

Dr.G.
Nov 20th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Man, have theses guys never seen a football game....they teal from each other all the time. Next thing you know they will have radio ear pieces to communicate with each other.....

They already do. The QBs have a small head set under their helmets to hear plays sent in from the coach.

Rps
Nov 20th, 2018, 01:29 PM
They already do. The QBs have a small head set under their helmets to hear plays sent in from the coach.

I was meaning there use in baseball.

Dr.G.
Nov 20th, 2018, 02:12 PM
I was meaning there use in baseball.

:confused::o Oops. No head phones that I know of, Rp. Still, I think that covering one's mouth is silly.

BReligion
Nov 20th, 2018, 02:34 PM

I heard rumor of MLB considering just that sadly. Putting an earpiece on the pitcher and have the dugout relay the call straight to the pitcher. Really Really hope they don't ever do that. That will completely kill the role of the backcather to that simply of the a glorified backstop.

BReligion

Dr.G.
Nov 20th, 2018, 08:36 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-bryce-harper-at-first-base-the-yankees-have-discussed-the-possibility-of-signing-the-star-free-agent-slugger/

Another interesting rumor.

Dr.G.
Nov 21st, 2018, 09:02 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-reportedly-seriously-considering-noah-syndergaard-trade-will-they-pull-off-a-deal/

More rumors.

Rps
Nov 22nd, 2018, 10:17 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-reportedly-seriously-considering-noah-syndergaard-trade-will-they-pull-off-a-deal/

More rumors.

I still say he will become a Giant!

Dr.G.
Nov 22nd, 2018, 02:09 PM
I still say he will become a Giant!

Hope so. :clap::clap::clap:

Dr.G.
Nov 26th, 2018, 09:12 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agency-braves-josh-donaldson-agree-to-one-year-23-million-deal/

Rp, what do you think of this signing? I wish he was back with the Jays, or have been signed by the Giants or Mets.

Rps
Nov 26th, 2018, 09:21 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agency-braves-josh-donaldson-agree-to-one-year-23-million-deal/

Rp, what do you think of this signing? I wish he was back with the Jays, or have been signed by the Giants or Mets.

Well, I wonder where their GM came from.......... all kidding aside it isnít a contract Iíd offer. The Braves will have some money issues in the very near future. Somebody there is moving and they donít know it yet.

Dr.G.
Nov 27th, 2018, 04:57 AM
Well, I wonder where their GM came from.......... all kidding aside it isnít a contract Iíd offer. The Braves will have some money issues in the very near future. Somebody there is moving and they donít know it yet.

A good estimate of the situation, Rp. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Nov 27th, 2018, 06:20 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/giants-reportedly-are-willing-to-discuss-a-madison-bumgarner-trade-brewers-and-phillies-are-interested/

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rps
Nov 27th, 2018, 06:27 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/giants-reportedly-are-willing-to-discuss-a-madison-bumgarner-trade-brewers-and-phillies-are-interested/

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Their farm system may not be worth the price of trading him.....they arenít Atlanta nor are they the Padres......I think itís a poor opportunity cost.

Dr.G.
Nov 27th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Their farm system may not be worth the price of trading him.....they arenít Atlanta nor are they the Padres......I think itís a poor opportunity cost.

So very true.

Dr.G.
Dec 7th, 2018, 05:36 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/nationals-sound-like-theyve-moved-on-from-bryce-harper-mark-lerner-calls-300m-offer-best-we-can-do/

Interesting. Wonder who will want him???

Rps
Dec 8th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Not many teams can eat that much money. I think the Dodgers are likely.....Yanks could but not sure they want to go there. Heís young but at $350 million you could own a team....... he may just stay with the Nationals ...... what impacts this is Machado...... both those guys are big money but we have to look at need. The Yanks would probably lean toward Machado over Harper......also the Yanks need a leftie, Happ wonít be cheap, sooooooo.

Harper, might be on the Phillies radar, but I still think the Dodgers or...........the Giants. He is a big market guy.

Dr.G.
Dec 8th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Not many teams can eat that much money. I think the Dodgers are likely.....Yanks could but not sure they want to go there. Heís young but at $350 million you could own a team....... he may just stay with the Nationals ...... what impacts this is Machado...... both those guys are big money but we have to look at need. The Yanks would probably lean toward Machado over Harper......also the Yanks need a leftie, Happ wonít be cheap, sooooooo.

Harper, might be on the Phillies radar, but I still think the Dodgers or...........the Giants. He is a big market guy.

Rp, the winter meetings are going to be interesting. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Dec 10th, 2018, 04:18 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/why-trading-madison-bumgarner-and-other-massive-contracts-would-make-sense-for-the-giants/

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not Mad Bum ...................

Rps
Dec 10th, 2018, 05:12 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/why-trading-madison-bumgarner-and-other-massive-contracts-would-make-sense-for-the-giants/

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not Mad Bum ...................

This is interesting. Heís not that old and he is still a good pitcher but because he is in the NL he can hit......and heís not a bad hitter. This would be tough if I was the GM of the Giants....... I donít think Iíd trade him.

Dr.G.
Dec 10th, 2018, 06:44 PM
This is interesting. Heís not that old and he is still a good pitcher but because he is in the NL he can hit......and heís not a bad hitter. This would be tough if I was the GM of the Giants....... I donít think Iíd trade him.

I agree. Build around him. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Dec 10th, 2018, 07:35 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/corey-kluber-trade-rumors-dodgers-indians-talks-intensifying-at-mlb-winter-meetings/

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-winter-meetings-rumors-updates-yankees-cashman-seem-uninterested-in-harper-phillies-braves-eyeing-happ/

Dr.G.
Dec 11th, 2018, 07:27 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-winter-meetings-rumors-updates-dodgers-talking-yasiel-puig-trade-rays-twins-vying-for-nelson-cruz/

More interesting rumors.

Dr.G.
Dec 11th, 2018, 07:31 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/blue-jays-release-troy-tulowitzki-with-two-years-and-38-million-remaining-on-his-contract/

Sad, I liked him.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/andrew-mccutchen-phillies-agree-to-three-year-50-million-deal-reports-say/

I liked him as well, but he did not produce for my Giants.

Dr.G.
Jan 11th, 2019, 05:05 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/jays-trade-russell-martin-to-dodgers-1.4975126?fbclid=IwAR21gbinV_W-knXrjAkbooPAd39qTt8RbA9SHWEuciqjpil5gCqxtfLn7w8

Sadly, yet another one of my favorite Jays is gone.

Rps
Jan 12th, 2019, 09:25 AM
Or is it because the Dodgers got him. Actually it was a great pick up for them as the Jays will eat most of his salary. Almost as good as the Tut deal.

Not sure Iíd keep Stroman if I was the Jays brain trust.....

Dr.G.
Jan 12th, 2019, 05:22 PM
Or is it because the Dodgers got him. Actually it was a great pick up for them as the Jays will eat most of his salary. Almost as good as the Tut deal.

Not sure Iíd keep Stroman if I was the Jays brain trust.....

Crappy for the Jays ............. they pay for someone who is on another team. :confused::confused::eek::ptptptptp

Rps
Jan 13th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Marc, they are becoming the Mets....

Dr.G.
Jan 13th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Marc, they are becoming the Mets....

:confused::eek::-(:-(:-(

Dr.G.
Jan 22nd, 2019, 07:26 PM
Yankees legend Mariano Rivera, MLB's all-time leader in saves, voted baseball's first unanimous Hall of Fame inductee

Rivera, a 13-time all-star who recorded 652 career saves for New York, was selected by all 425 Baseball Writers' Association of America members who cast ballots in this year's voting. Rivera appeared in 96 postseason games, recording 42 more saves across 19 years and helping the Yankees to World Series titles in 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2009.

Edgar Martinez, Mike Mussina and Roy Halladay were also voted in Tuesday.

Rps
Jan 23rd, 2019, 10:01 AM
Good for Halliday, Rivera was a no brainer. However you could build a serial winning team from those not in the HOF. That said MLBís is pretty tough to get in. Personally I think Belle, Garvey and Rose should be in.

I find HOFs in general are too easy to get in if your team wins but great players are ignored if they havenít won a championship. What I always wanted to see is a fixed number of players in....say 100. If you want to add a player in someone has to come out. You could increase the number per era. So one a year in each decade. So for this decade that number would be 110.... recognizing that some years no one deserves to get in. That would be interesting....

Dr.G.
Jan 23rd, 2019, 11:10 AM
Good for Halliday, Rivera was a no brainer. However you could build a serial winning team from those not in the HOF. That said MLBís is pretty tough to get in. Personally I think Belle, Garvey and Rose should be in.

I find HOFs in general are too easy to get in if your team wins but great players are ignored if they havenít won a championship. What I always wanted to see is a fixed number of players in....say 100. If you want to add a player in someone has to come out. You could increase the number per era. So one a year in each decade. So for this decade that number would be 110.... recognizing that some years no one deserves to get in. That would be interesting....

An interesting idea.

Rps
Feb 7th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Yogi Berra was sound asleep at 2am when the phone rang. The caller, Whitey Ford, said, ďHi Yogi, hope I didnít wake you.Ē Yogi answered, ď Itís ok, I had to get up to answer the phone anyway.Ē

Dr.G.
Feb 7th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Yogi Berra was sound asleep at 2am when the phone rang. The caller, Whitey Ford, said, ďHi Yogi, hope I didnít wake you.Ē Yogi answered, ď Itís ok, I had to get up to answer the phone anyway.Ē

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Classic Yogi. :clap:

Dr.G.
Feb 7th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Rp, two interesting rule changes are being considered by MLBPA. Your thoughts?

The Major League Baseball Players Association is reportedly pushing to add a designated hitter to National League rosters as soon as this season,
and they are pushing for a three-batter minimum for pitchers to speed up the game.

Rps
Feb 7th, 2019, 10:38 AM
I saw this. It seems the Commish doesnít see that the TV breaks are what slows the game. However the DH has always been an issue. Putting one in the NL, at least to me, destroys the charm of the league. In fact instead of adding a DH to the NL, I would dump the DH in the AL.

A minimum 3 batter rule would eliminate left handed pitching. A better rule would be to have a minimum of 3 pitchers warmup before the game and during for immediate insert. We have seen a trend to this with the concept of opening pitchers. My father always thought this was a good idea...he was years ahead of his time.

20 second pitch clock, okay but as Iíve always said once you are in the batters box you donít step out...that would save time for sure.

I agree with the trade dead line....in fact the longer you can meld with a new team the better.

Expansion of rosters, the MLBPA would love this...maybe a compromise to the DH in the NL.

Reduction of mount visits.....not sure, I didnít think the older rules were the issue....just speed the clock on them.

I am against putting a man on second base in extra innings...

Iím surprised they havenít changed the number of foul balls.... I donít see someone whacking 12 out of play as exciting, however if you bent one foul on your 3rd strike you are out.....

eMacMan
Feb 7th, 2019, 11:00 AM
And back to the TV commercial breaks.

The game by its very nature has a couple of hours of 'dead' time. Between batters or while the pitcher is getting his signals straight, do image over or split screen commercials. Save the breaks for between innings and keep them very short, exactly the length of time it takes for the defense to take the field.

Given the 16:9 aspect ratio of modern screens split screen (preferably silent) commercials are a major league no-brainer.

Rps
Feb 7th, 2019, 11:41 AM
eMacMan, Iíve seen this with football games and it does the job without stopping the game.....I agree.

Dr.G.
Feb 7th, 2019, 12:08 PM
"In fact instead of adding a DH to the NL, I would dump the DH in the AL." I agree, Rp.

"We have seen a trend to this with the concept of opening pitchers. My father always thought this was a good idea...he was years ahead of his time." Yes, very interesting concept. A starter comes in during the 4/5th inning to "save" the game and get the W.

Dr.G.
Feb 7th, 2019, 12:08 PM
And back to the TV commercial breaks.

The game by its very nature has a couple of hours of 'dead' time. Between batters or while the pitcher is getting his signals straight, do image over or split screen commercials. Save the breaks for between innings and keep them very short, exactly the length of time it takes for the defense to take the field.

Given the 16:9 aspect ratio of modern screens split screen (preferably silent) commercials are a major league no-brainer.

Very good idea. :clap::clap:

Dr.G.
Feb 7th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Just heard that Hall of Fame slugger Frank Robinson has passed away at the age of 83.

I saw him play against the Mets in the NL and the Yankees in the AL when he was with the Reds and then the Orioles.

Other than being a great hitter, Robinson, in 1975, became player-manager of the Indians and in doing so became the first African-American manager in major-league history. At one point, he was also the manager of my team, the SF Giants.

He shall be missed.

Dr.G.
Feb 8th, 2019, 07:28 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-agents-for-bryce-harper-manny-machado-still-seeking-300m-deals-inside-marlins-phillies-trade/

Way too much money.

SINC
Feb 10th, 2019, 04:46 AM
Here's a wee bit of history and fun for the thread.

NlVr45CHOuA

Dr.G.
Feb 10th, 2019, 06:58 AM
I actually recall that episode of Mr. Ed.

Dr.G.
Feb 10th, 2019, 06:47 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-giants-are-serious-about-bryce-harper-pirates-sign-melky-cabrera-to-minor-league-deal/

Interesting. Anything to get them back into the World Series is fine with me.

Dr.G.
Feb 16th, 2019, 10:53 AM
40 days until opening day. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Dr.G.
Feb 17th, 2019, 05:28 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/aaron-judge-batting-leadoff-yankees-aaron-boone-will-consider-the-lineup-change-in-2019/

Interesting.

Rps
Feb 18th, 2019, 10:58 AM
Havenít read any new news lately but I still think the Yanks will grab Machado to cover for the ailing DiDi and the Phillies will grab Harper....

Dr.G.
Feb 18th, 2019, 12:45 PM
Havenít read any new news lately but I still think the Yanks will grab Machado to cover for the ailing DiDi and the Phillies will grab Harper....

We shall see. Taking a long time, however. As well, I hear that this is a possibility of a players strike comes the All Star break. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Feb 18th, 2019, 03:53 PM
This was just announced. 2019 will be Bruce Bochyís final season as the manager of the SF Giants. :(

Dr.G.
Feb 18th, 2019, 06:40 PM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/bruce-bochy-will-retire-after-2019-season/c-304113650?fbclid=IwAR3TXhi_XVNM3WdqbODcDQTXvQ01CH2 RkXQSZJl4eCioErd9Bh42Hv7JEoU

:eek::(:(

Dr.G.
Feb 19th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Breaking news.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/19/manny-machado-to-padres-in-surprise-end-to-endless-saga/?fbclid=IwAR2f4wBnys03LTexbZL9JKnf6G2rpUger9Z7F6gw aPD2wWHBFAl_d1hbfko

Rps
Feb 19th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Marc, a friend of mine who you would say "knows" told me this was in the works. Personally I still had him going to the Yanks.....that said, the Yanks must have a line on someone or they have someone. DiDi will be tough to replace and I can't see them not having that situation in place.

This leaves Harper, and as I've said for a while, I still think he is going to the Phillies.

San D was on my list last year and I think they still might be there this year. I will have to see how they go in the Spring Training sessions. They have such a great farm system and have some tremendous prospects coming up....they could be this year's Atlanta.

San D will be excited I think......

Dr.G.
Feb 19th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Marc, a friend of mine who you would say "knows" told me this was in the works. Personally I still had him going to the Yanks.....that said, the Yanks must have a line on someone or they have someone. DiDi will be tough to replace and I can't see them not having that situation in place.

This leaves Harper, and as I've said for a while, I still think he is going to the Phillies.

San D was on my list last year and I think they still might be there this year. I will have to see how they go in the Spring Training sessions. They have such a great farm system and have some tremendous prospects coming up....they could be this year's Atlanta.

San D will be excited I think......

Still, I am hoping for a healthy SF Giants team this year ................ who go all the way to victory in the World Series. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Feb 25th, 2019, 02:43 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bryce-harper-rumors-dodgers-back-in-the-mix-club-officials-spotted-in-las-vegas-over-the-weekend/

Please keep him out of the NL West.

Rps
Feb 26th, 2019, 01:15 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bryce-harper-rumors-dodgers-back-in-the-mix-club-officials-spotted-in-las-vegas-over-the-weekend/

Please keep him out of the NL West.

May be interesting. Giants and Dodgers are probably looking at a high price short term deal. The Phillies might up the ante with both money and term. Iím still thinking the Phillies but who knows. If the Dodgers and Giants come in with, say a 5 year, he can do the free agent trick again and he will be only 31....not too old for a baseball guy.

Dr.G.
Feb 26th, 2019, 04:29 PM
May be interesting. Giants and Dodgers are probably looking at a high price short term deal. The Phillies might up the ante with both money and term. Iím still thinking the Phillies but who knows. If the Dodgers and Giants come in with, say a 5 year, he can do the free agent trick again and he will be only 31....not too old for a baseball guy.

I just want to see a healthy Giants team this year ........... with their regulars having career seasons .................. and some of the subs having a great year as well. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Feb 27th, 2019, 04:37 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-bryce-harper-giants-meet-again-as-phillies-chances-take-a-hit-didi-gregorius-likely-out-past-june/

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Rps
Feb 27th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Youíd be able to almost buy a team with what his contract will be.....

Dr.G.
Feb 27th, 2019, 06:25 PM
Youíd be able to almost buy a team with what his contract will be.....

Sadly, all too true. I still wonder if he is worth this sort of money. I don't think so.

Dr.G.
Feb 28th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Bryce Harper is leaving the Nationals for the Philadelphia Phillies, ending months of suspense

Rps
Feb 28th, 2019, 03:26 PM
I was waiting for your post. Should be interesting in that division.

Dr.G.
Feb 28th, 2019, 05:10 PM
I was waiting for your post. Should be interesting in that division.

True. Harper's Phillies contract is largest in history of North American sports
The outfielder agreed to a record-setting 13-year, $330 million contract with Philadelphia. In a way, I am glad the SF Giants did not get him for that amount.

Dr.G.
Mar 6th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Interesting possibilities.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-justin-verlander-not-close-to-thinking-about-retirement-astros-and-phillies-in-on-dallas-keuchel/

Rps
Mar 7th, 2019, 10:16 AM
Interesting possibilities.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-justin-verlander-not-close-to-thinking-about-retirement-astros-and-phillies-in-on-dallas-keuchel/

I think of the two the Phillies have the best shot.

Dr.G.
Mar 7th, 2019, 03:51 PM
I think of the two the Phillies have the best shot.

We shall see.

I read an article on CNN.com that in a couple of years, Mike Trout will get a $400 free agency contract. Again, we shall see.

Dr.G.
Mar 7th, 2019, 06:59 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2824203-hall-of-fame-sp-tom-seaver-diagnosed-with-dementia-will-retire-from-public-life?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

So sad. One of my favorite Mets.

Dr.G.
Mar 9th, 2019, 04:54 PM
The Yankees, Houston and Boston are have 7-1 odds of winning the World Series, with the Jays at 91-1 .............. and my Giants at 126-1. Mets are at 23-1, so one of my teams might make it all the way. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Mar 19th, 2019, 11:37 AM
https://nypost.com/2019/03/19/mike-trout-on-verge-of-jaw-dropping-430-million-angels-deal/?fbclid=IwAR1vISP0_tS7ZMxrhnT4h_NkmwSS9cwGlsQQw4_-y7_cUGGDFHbXv6lHyZ8

No one is worth this sort of money, regardless of the sport.

Rps
Mar 19th, 2019, 11:46 AM
You have to sell lot of fish tacos and tube steaks to cover that expense!

Dr.G.
Mar 19th, 2019, 11:48 AM
You have to sell lot of fish tacos and tube steaks to cover that expense!

:confused::lmao::lmao:

BReligion
Mar 19th, 2019, 02:43 PM
No one is worth this sort of money, regardless of the sport.

Talked about this the other day at work.... I totally get agents and the lifestyle and all that other crap... but..

Do you know how amazing it would be if I were able to make my own salary (which isn't even a real fraction of what these guys are talking) to flippin play Baseball every day?!

BReligion

Dr.G.
Mar 19th, 2019, 06:30 PM
Talked about this the other day at work.... I totally get agents and the lifestyle and all that other crap... but..

Do you know how amazing it would be if I were able to make my own salary (which isn't even a real fraction of what these guys are talking) to flippin play Baseball every day?!

BReligion

Playing baseball .............. YES!!!! I wanted to play alongside of my favorite player, Willie Mays, one of the best players of all time. His top salary, in today's value, would be less than some third-string outfielders are earning. Still, in a way we are all paying for their salaries in that even if we don't have the money or location to go to a base ball game, we pay extra for the products that advertise on sports channels on TV.

Dr.G.
Mar 21st, 2019, 12:15 PM
Good one.