: How to install Yosemite?

krs
Apr 14th, 2018, 10:46 PM
I have a 2012 Mini that I think was originally shipped with OS 10.7
On that one I updated the OS to 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
Now I want to check some old floppies and found out that Apple discontinued support for those after OS 10.10

Luckily I made a Yosemite installed on a USB flash drive using diskmaker
OK I figure, no problem, I will just install Yosemite on an external, then boot from the external into Yosemite and read my floppies.

The extermal is a USB 3.0 drive with 4 partitions, each one 500 MB
I used Disk Utility to erase one of the partitions to install Yosemite on it

Plugged in my USB flash Yosemite installer
The installer icon comes up the way it should
But when I double-click on it, instead of asking me where I want to install Yosemite it comes up with this error message:
This copy of the “Install OS X” application is too old to be opened on this version of OS X.

Hmmm
So then I decide to restart holding down the option key but that doesn't help.

I'm obvious too dense to see the forest for the trees because this says I should be able to install Yosemite on an external drive with the Mac running OS 10.11
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7470094

I'm at the step:
boot the external installer disk and install Yosemite

Is the Yosemite installer supposed to show up when I reboot the Mac while holding down the option key?

PS: The external hard drive also has a 10.11 backup clone on it.
Strangely enough neither the 10.11 backup clone nor the 10.10 USB installer show up as a start up disk in system preferences.
I remember on older versions of the OS they always used to - at least the backups.

The back up clones DO show up when I boot up holding down the option key and I can then boot the Mac on any of the back ups.
Is missing the back up drive options in the start up disk window another one of the new features of OS 10.11?

pm-r
Apr 15th, 2018, 04:23 PM
That Mac mini probably came with:
Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.8.1
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/index-macmini.html

I've never used a USB flash drive using diskmaker or any form of Diskmaker to install any OS X version. And I never installed Yosemite as far as I can recall.

And sorry, I don't really understand your question so I can't really answer it.

PS: I've always kept older bootable working OS partitions just in case I needed too use older stuff.

PPS: Use a big enough clean partition to install a separate OS X version on.

- Patrick
======

krs
Apr 15th, 2018, 07:54 PM
That Mac mini probably came with:
Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.8.1
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/index-macmini.html

You're right.I was also checking everymac - don't know where I got 10.7 from - I must have checked an older Mini

I've never used a USB flash drive using diskmaker or any form of Diskmaker to install any OS X version. And I never installed Yosemite as far as I can recall.

And sorry, I don't really understand your question so I can't really answer it.

PS: I've always kept older bootable working OS partitions just in case I needed too use older stuff.

PPS: Use a big enough clean partition to install a separate OS X version on.

Well, I tried every which way I could find on the internet to install Yosemite using that diskmaker USB flash drive and got the same replies as the others with no solution that actually worked.

Then late this afternoon shuffling through my external backups, I came across a 10.9.5 backup from April 2016.
So I figured if I boot up on that then the Mac wpuld be running on an earlier version than Yosemite and I shouldn't get that message so I could install Yosemite.

Well, that didn't work either.
The Mini booted up fine on 10.9.5 and when I plugged in the Yosemite USB installer it showed up fine too but then when I was ready to do the install I got a message that I have to be connected to the net because Apple needed to check if my Mac was suitable for that OS. The message also suggested that Yosemite would be downloaded from the Apple website which is exactly what I wanted to avoid.
I decided to connect to the net, but that still didn't work - I got some other message that Apple couldn't write some information.
Anyway - bottom line - nothing worked.

But at least my original problem was solved.
I can just boot up on my 10.9.5 back up and use that to read the floppies to see what is on them.

And btw - when I checked the start up disk folder in system preferences on 10.9.5 all the bootable disks showed up; on 1010.6 they don't, only the HD shows.
So I don't know if that is a general problem with El Capitan or my El Capitan OS is a bit corrupted.

pm-r
Apr 15th, 2018, 08:42 PM
But at least my original problem was solved.

Glad to read you got that problem solved. ;-)

- Patrick
======