: reclaim over 100GBs on your drive

macintosh doctor
Mar 16th, 2018, 01:07 PM
so since High Serria i have been noticing GBs vanishing from my computer..
then i read an article

if you type this in terminal :
tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

your will see a list of snap shots.. meaning apple is using your local drive for time machine as well as your external..

to delete the local snap shots :

sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots {then type the local snapshot name here ]
in my case it was : sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots 2018-03-15-133202

unfortunately there is no way of disabling it.. unless you disable time machine and use carbon copy instead.

monokitty
Mar 16th, 2018, 02:00 PM
This is not a High Sierra feature. That has been happening for many versions of macOS/OS X now (local TM snapshots).

CubaMark
Mar 16th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Yep. Without those local snapshots, Time Machine's versioning feature would not function.

I frequently point this feature out to people who screw up documents and need to revert to earlier versions... they had no idea they could do such a thing.

TM, like a lot of Apple's apps (especially Preview), don't get the love they deserve....

macintosh doctor
Mar 16th, 2018, 03:39 PM
i dont use any of the apple suites of software - i do use time machine - so there is no point in having it twice on my SSD and TM drive externally.
i previously was able to disabled it permanently but not any more.

SINC
Mar 16th, 2018, 03:48 PM
TM, like a lot of Apple's apps (especially Preview), don't get the love they deserve....

i dont use any of the apple suites of software

I'm with CM on this one. Preview especially has replaced my photo editing apps almost entirely. It is remarkably agile and so easy to use that Photoshop and Lightroom are long forgotten. As for not using Apple apps, I don't get it. They just work and work very well. ;)

TiltAgain
Mar 17th, 2018, 05:36 AM
so since High Serria i have been noticing GBs vanishing from my computer..
then i read an article

if you type this in terminal :
tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

your will see a list of snap shots.. meaning apple is using your local drive for time machine as well as your external.. *SNIP*

OK, is this relevant only for those using Time Machine? I do not use Time Machine at all and my machine just returns to the prompt when I type this.

Cheers

rgray
Mar 17th, 2018, 08:31 AM
I'm with CM on this one. Preview especially has replaced my photo editing apps almost entirely. It is remarkably agile and so easy to use that Photoshop and Lightroom are long forgotten. As for not using Apple apps, I don't get it. They just work and work very well. ;)

Preview is also free!! So on price alone it kicks the crap out of the competition.

macintosh doctor
Mar 17th, 2018, 12:04 PM
OK, is this relevant only for those using Time Machine? I do not use Time Machine at all and my machine just returns to the prompt when I type this.

Cheers

correct if you use time machine it creates snap shots on your internal as well as the external drive.. if time machine is off - no snap shots- in that last day since erasing the previous snap shots.. it has used up 15 GBs again and growing.. it is silly that it uses both my internal drive and external - pointless..

i use Affinity software - designer and photo - plus preview and acrobat pro - as preview doesn't allow creation of reduced PDF sizes or forms.
the rest of the applications i use are MS, or on the occasion pages, numbers.
i dont care for the autosaving..
plus i using filemaker pro - which is all remote hosting .

smashedbanana
Mar 18th, 2018, 01:20 PM
This happens on PCs too. It's called "Shadow Copies" FYI.

CubaMark
Mar 18th, 2018, 03:57 PM
This happens on PCs too. It's called "Shadow Copies" FYI.

What's the interface on Windows? I've never come across it....

EDIT: Forget I asked. Google is my friend. Holy hell that's a useless feature on Windows.

By default, snapshots are temporary; they do not survive a reboot. The ability to create persistent snapshots was added in Windows Server 2003 onward. However, Windows 8 removed the GUI portion necessary to browse them. (Wikipedia: Shadow Copy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy))

The first hit from Google was this explanation of Shadow Copy for students at Oregon State University (https://is.oregonstate.edu/cn/tech-tips-using-cn/data-backup-recovery/how-do-i-use-shadow-copy). I don't know if this is unique to Oregon State, but: "Shadow Copy is only available on your network locations. This includes your personal and shared network drives. Data lost on your local computer cannot be retrieved by Shadow Copy or Tape Backup."

Also in the text, it notes that Shadow Copy doesn't exist for Mac users, and "This is a PC-only feature. Customers that use a Macintosh will have to call their support team to have them do a Shadow Copy restore for them." :lmao:

Apple may need to ramp up their efforts to inform users of what their Macs can actually do....

pm-r
Mar 18th, 2018, 04:48 PM

Cheers

Yes, and maybe only on Mac laptop portables, I'm not sure about that, but even some backup software can do a sort of related thing like CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) and its "Safety Net" option which can gobble up a lot of disk space.
But don't forget, they are there for a reason — as long as they work properly.

macintosh doctor
Mar 19th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Yes, and maybe only on Mac laptop portables, I'm not sure about that, but even some backup software can do a sort of related thing like CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) and its "Safety Net" option which can gobble up a lot of disk space.
But don't forget, they are there for a reason — as long as they work properly.

the whole point was - it is done externally. whats the point of an external drive if we are using up internal ?
lately more laptops are 128 or 256 - rarely 1TB like i have.. that is my point. it is using up value space.

pm-r
Mar 19th, 2018, 02:57 PM
the whole point was - it is done externally. whats the point of an external drive if we are using up internal ?
lately more laptops are 128 or 256 - rarely 1TB like i have.. that is my point. it is using up value space.

Well, there are a lot of mobile users that don't pack their external backup drive with them and if loosing drive space is considered more important than some backup, then just turn Off the backup software for the interim. Simple solution. :o

And BTW: there are lots of stuff one can delete to free up drive space and I do, especially on a small SSD. 4-6±GB of surplus .lproj language files come to mind. But never delete any such "en" or "English" folders, nor any from any MS or Adobe apps.

CubaMark
Mar 19th, 2018, 07:42 PM
And BTW: there are lots of stuff one can delete to free up drive space...

Folks who don't use, for example, GarageBand can free up a crapload of space...not the app, but the music loop files, etc., hidden away in the /Library/ folder(s)...