: Who has cut the "cord" and how did you go about it?

jmlachance
Mar 12th, 2018, 12:10 AM
What's the best way of cutting the cord and not hand over so much money to the big companies?

eMacMan
Mar 12th, 2018, 12:57 AM
Cut it over a year ago. Shaw is always month to month so I just phoned and said drop the TV altogether. Upped to a slightly faster internet plan, so we could watch favourite programs directly from the network website. You have a week after they broadcast to view.

Saving about $35/month.

Depending on your provider beware of bandwidth limits. Shaw does not enforce them, but Robbers charges an arm and a leg for going over.

Macfury
Mar 12th, 2018, 01:54 AM
I have threatened to cut the cord several times with Rogers. Each time they have agreed to cut the cost of very basic cable to about $3 a month in addition to the Internet I wanted to keep. At year-end, that's less than one-third the cost of a good HD antenna.

However, I was fully prepared to simply abandon the service if they didn't bring the total cost of Internet + Cable in line with my expectations.

wonderings
Mar 12th, 2018, 09:03 AM
I find everything I want to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime and now BritBox for good British programming. There are no shows I follow that I need to watch as soon as it airs and I do not watch sports. Cutting the cord was easy, did it about 10 years ago and have never looked back.

macintosh doctor
Mar 12th, 2018, 11:29 AM
i cut the cord - technically.
I signed up with vMedia - vMedia Sign up and pricing (https://www.vmedia.ca/cart/default.aspx?partner=5328A0153DBB060CA1372E869A85C 5AF93A760FF4FD0B0)
I signed up with them over 5 years - you can get 150 MBs plus TV services - IPTV - streamed over internet and unlimited internet for $82/month

My TV recently blew up and I replaced it with a Roku TV 4k 55" from costco - for $550 and it is a smart TV with vMedia built in as an app as well netflix and 10 000 other apps you can download ..
i love it.. knowing that the TV is WiFi meaning i can put the TV where ever i want in the house and be able to stream services.
vMedia also offers an android box you connect to a conventional TV and it has wifi/ethernet and all the apps you need.

Rps
Mar 12th, 2018, 11:34 AM
What's the best way of cutting the cord and not hand over so much money to the big companies?

I think it depends on where you live and what you like to watch. I noticed you live in QC, so is French programming important? I live in Windsor so I can use OTA and get around 40 channels..CBC, CTV, NBC, ABC, CBS, TVO, PBS and many others. What I do miss is CFL games. I use the net for Netflix and Crave. Donít miss much other than the CFL. Can you get what you want with OTA? If so maybe you can with no issue.

eMacMan
Mar 12th, 2018, 07:45 PM
I think it depends on where you live and what you like to watch. I noticed you live in QC, so is French programming important? I live in Windsor so I can use OTA and get around 40 channels..CBC, CTV, NBC, ABC, CBS, TVO, PBS and many others. What I do miss is CFL games. I use the net for Netflix and Crave. Donít miss much other than the CFL. Can you get what you want with OTA? If so maybe you can with no issue.

The link I gave you for the Grey cup works for all CFL games. Video quality is iffy, but it works well enough for me.

OTOH I was never one to want a wall sized TV.:D

Rps
Mar 12th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Yup, I still have that link thanks. Not sure how well a indoor digital aerial would work in Alymer. But I get many stations here and no cable.

Beej
Mar 12th, 2018, 09:56 PM
Haven't had cable TV for many years, just internet.

With it's original content Netflix is much better than it used (plus great software), otherwise I made do with Hulu and other services over the years. There are usually only a few network TV shows I watch, so it doesn't make much difference if I can't find them (-2 to 3 hours of entertainment a week).