: Mac OS Server Upgrade

makuribu
Jan 28th, 2018, 12:07 PM
New, improved, with no actual server functions!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208312

Customer appreciation by feature deprecation...

eMacMan
Jan 28th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Given that there has been no MacPro for an extended period of time I guess it makes sense to decapitate the Server version of Mac OS-X

macintosh doctor
Jan 28th, 2018, 02:46 PM
its the continuation of the ipadification the mac os - which is truly disappointing.

pm-r
Jan 28th, 2018, 06:23 PM
9to5mac had a very short notice about this a few days ago with a fair number of user comments, but you've probably all read that:
https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/24/major-changes-macos-server/

makuribu
Jan 28th, 2018, 06:39 PM
The Apple ad showing the kid using his iPad and asking "What's a computer?" kind of sums up Apple's opinion of its user base these days.

They gave up on the education market, now they're giving up on the small business/enterprise market.

The Mini is 4 years old, is almost unusably slow, yet still costs $500. The Pro has morphed into a non-expandable, non-upgradeable iMac Pro starting at $6300. I doubt the promised new Mac Pro will ever appear.

They released their home pod speaker system a year late with mono only sound, at a price point that's laughable compared to the competitors.

High Sierra is a half baked mess, even after many updates. I haven't used iTunes in years. I play music using VLC and stream media to my AppleTV using Plex.

It would be nice if Apple Computer were split off into an independent arm of the company with some resources to keep their computers relevant.

polywog
Jan 29th, 2018, 08:41 AM
They released their home pod speaker system a year late with mono only sound, at a price point that's laughable compared to the competitors.

It is apparently a beast sound wise. They aren't priced that far out of the ballpark compared to some Sonos offerings, which are less Apple ecosystem friendly.

Agreed on the other points though.

WCraig
Jan 29th, 2018, 09:01 AM
New, improved, with no actual server functions!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208312

Customer appreciation by feature deprecation...

Lots of froth about this on 'tubes...but why? Every one of these is an open source project, no? Where you want to have the ability to get the latest security patches. Which Apple has never been fast at providing.

Install MacPorts or Homebrew (or build yourself from source) and you'll be in better shape than before. If you have the chops to administer a bunch of server processes, it isn't a stretch to handle installing them.

Craig

pm-r
Jan 29th, 2018, 01:41 PM
It is apparently a beast sound wise.

Hmmm…??? I just glanced over a few reviews a few days ago and the general opinion over the sound seemed to be generally a lot of "mehs…".
Anyway, I'm sure there a lot of Apple fanboys to support their sales…. but certainly not in this house. And even doubtful at a fraction of their price.

And…
its the continuation of the ipadification the mac os - which is truly disappointing.
Another macOS disappointment I'd agree with.

WCraig
Jan 29th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Hmmm…??? I just glanced over a few reviews a few days ago and the general opinion over the sound seemed to be generally a lot of "mehs…". ...

"A single HomePod, for the size and price, slaughters most speakers under $1000."

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/7t51a2/nda_is_up_what_can_i_tell_you_guys_about_the/

Rene Ritchie of iMore is calling it 'computation audio' and suggesting it is advanced as the computational photography we're now seeing in smart phone cameras (portrait mode, etc). The A8 in the Homepod deconstructs the musical components of the recording and then shapes them through the multi-speaker array in the Homepod to fill the room. Reviewers say that _every_ place in the room is the sweet spot; not just the one (or two) that you get with (dumb) stereo speakers.

Homepod is about giving Apple users really good sound at home.

Craig
PS with absolutely no evidence to support me, I expect a new AppleTV that is married into the Homepod.

rgray
Jan 30th, 2018, 05:35 PM

The iPad itself is disappointing enough........ No decent ability to edit text and yet a ton of bloody emojis.......

10,000 years to develop written language and five years for emoji to take the place for some.....

wish I could get rid of the f*cking emojis on my ipad and iphone and get some actual useable space back!!!

of course 's answer is to sell me a much more expensive iphone with more space (so I can store all the sh*t in the OS (and the apps that come with) that I don't want anyway......

pm-r
Jan 30th, 2018, 06:27 PM
The iPad itself is disappointing enough........ No decent ability to edit text and yet a ton of bloody emojis.......

10,000 years to develop written language and five years for emoji to take the place for some.....

wish I could get rid of the f*cking emojis on my ipad and iphone and get some actual useable space back!!!

of course 's answer is to sell me a much more expensive iphone with more space (so I can store all the sh*t in the OS (and the apps that come with) that I don't want anyway......

+1!!

I even paid for some copy/paste apps which were almost hopeless and a waste of money as Apple won't allow anything not theirs to interact with anything else. Stupid.

The last time I was able to get some space back was when I jailbroke my iOS 7.x iPad 2 and got about 4GB of extra non-English languages and crap I really do not need thank you Apple.

- Patrick
======

SINC
Jan 30th, 2018, 08:14 PM

Yep, iPads are useless for anything but email or social media. Other than that, they are crap.

robert
Jan 30th, 2018, 10:19 PM
unless you are an artist or avid book reader...

pm-r
Jan 30th, 2018, 11:30 PM
Yep, iPads are useless for anything but email or social media. Other than that, they are crap.

I find even email is too limited to use efficiently, at least using Apple's Mail.app. I haven't need to try any other iOS email client app.

A real pity considering Apple had a completely clean slate to start building the iOS on and I'd say they failed, but do notice their sales of all their iDevices.

I think it just could have been so much better for the users, but now we're sort of stuck with what they provide and it doesn't seem to be improving much other than the addition of features and extra security increases.

PS: Oh yes, the GPS navigation apps were good and useful when we had our boat and went boating/fishing.

rgray
Jan 31st, 2018, 08:19 AM
I find even email is too limited to use efficiently, at least using Apple's Mail.app. I haven't need to try any other iOS email client app.

A real pity considering Apple had a completely clean slate to start building the iOS on and I'd say they failed, but do notice their sales of all their iDevices.

I think it just could have been so much better for the users, but now we're sort of stuck with what they provide and it doesn't seem to be improving much other than the addition of features and extra security increases.

PS: Oh yes, the GPS navigation apps were good and useful when we had our boat and went boating/fishing.

The problem, IMHO, with mail is mostly around the inefficiency of editing text.

rgray
Jan 31st, 2018, 08:22 AM
unless you are an artist or avid book reader...

OK, I'll give you book reading which I do a lot of on iPad. Sitting 4 hrs 3 times a week in dialysis has mad the iPad my reader of choice when one arm is connected to the machine.

The problems with Mail, IMHO, centre around the inefficiency with editing text..

polywog
Jan 31st, 2018, 11:39 AM

That's painting with pretty broad strokes. It's a different workflow, but hardly crap. If airplay 2 were everywhere now, I doubt I'd use my mac or macbook much at all. I don't do social media so I can't comment there, but I do a heck of a lot of prototyping in python and photo editing on my Pro on a daily basis.

pm-r
Jan 31st, 2018, 03:50 PM
The problems with Mail, IMHO, centre around the inefficiency with editing text..

And while we're listing the email problems, let's add some basic things missing like; sorting, search and finding stuff, an alternate view like "Classic" list view etc. … It's like the software is still in it's first draft basic beta form, as are so many other apps.

And add the really annoying Apple's App Store, and its listing of some "free" apps that don't disclose they barely work unless one divvies up some "add-in" $$ fees!!

But this is now off topic for this particular thread.

rgray
Feb 2nd, 2018, 03:48 PM
And speaking of intrusive elements.... How about a master switch that turns Siri off - all at once, all components, everything. The bloody thing infests everything. PITA........ :(

pm-r
Feb 2nd, 2018, 04:51 PM
And speaking of intrusive elements.... How about a master switch that turns Siri off - all at once, all components, everything. The bloody thing infests everything. PITA........ :(

I don't have anything that can use it, but did they remove the Main Switch from later iOS versions???…

How to Completely Turn Off Siri on Your iPhone

iOS 10 has new settings in the Accessibility menu that let you disable Siri access from the home button. Unfortunately, disabling Siri access from home button turns it off completely so that you can’t even use it via a ‘Hey Siri’ command.
https://www.addictivetips.com/ios/turning-off-siri-access-from-home-button-turns-it-off-completely-in-ios-10-2/

or maybe:
https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/siri-101-completely-turn-off-siri-your-iphone-0178572/

??? ;)