: Password Manager - Recommendations or Suggestions

OldeBullDust
Jan 25th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Iím searched through some of the past threads / member comments but there were very few recent discussion about Password Manager Apps.
I would appreciate hearing from members about why they are using any manager at all, and what they feel is the most important feature/function of the Password Manager that they are currently using.

OSX 10.11.6, 2010 27Ē iMac

SINC
Jan 25th, 2018, 04:41 PM
I just use the Safari suggested password feature for passwords. Has worked fine for me for years now. Never an issue, plus it is included and free.

pm-r
Jan 25th, 2018, 04:45 PM
FWIW, I don't use any sort of a Password Manager App and have no need to. I have and use my own method that has worked for many years thanks.

And I sometimes wonder what some that do use any such app will do when the password manager app goes kaput or quits working, or with some OS update. HmmmÖ???

csonni
Jan 25th, 2018, 06:39 PM
I love 1Password. Used it for quite some time now. It's integrated into the browser for 1-click use, highly encrypted, syncs to other devices, etc.

https://1password.com

John Clay
Jan 25th, 2018, 07:23 PM
1Password. Best password/sensitive info manager on the market. Great enterprise options, too. I use it at home and work.

BReligion
Jan 25th, 2018, 10:05 PM
1Password here too...

BReligion

OldeBullDust
Jan 25th, 2018, 10:11 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses.

Iíve been using an encrypted text file for quite a few years ( often forget to re-encrypt it after opening) - cut and paste passwords etc when required.

Thought i should look into using an ďauthenticĒ password manager - wanted to learn what features are available that Iím not aware of, or what benefits I might be missing.

I donít need to sync with multiple devices or other people and I never use the ďcloudĒ of any flavour. Not sure I need or want to Auto-paste my credit card info anywhere.

I had totally overlooked Safari - Iíll have to explore that possibility - Thanks Don!

Iíve tried installing KeePass, but it seem like a heck of a lot of work for what Iím not sure I need/want.

Other than the super secure encryption - is there some special feature that only a professional PassWord Manager would offer?

eMacMan
Jan 25th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Rather than an encrypted text file, which may or may not be fully encrypted, I would suggest:

Creating an encrypted read/write .dmg file and placing a regular text file on the disk image. Unmount the image and the file is hidden away and decently encrypted.

pm-r
Jan 25th, 2018, 11:02 PM
Rather than an encrypted text file, which may or may not be fully encrypted, I would suggest:

I would have thought that anyone needing such extreme protection that their employee would have provided them with decent protection for whatever secret data they carry on their computers already. And maybe even provided them with a cyanide or equivalent pill if it's that vital.

polywog
Jan 26th, 2018, 08:11 AM
I'll for for 1password as well. Well thought out app. Been using it for years. Bonus points that there is a windows app as well, which is great for me at work.

That said, I don't store critical information in there. Web site passwords (that can't access credit cards/purchase things etc.) and software licenses.

garf1108
Jan 26th, 2018, 08:36 AM
I also use 1password, It's great.