: GTA losing 380 manufacturing jobs

CubaMark
Jan 24th, 2018, 09:17 PM
'A truly sad day': Campbell shutting down Toronto soup plant, cutting 380 manufacturing jobs (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/campbell-soup-closure-1.4502101)

https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.3774039.1516825842!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpg

The Campbell Soup Company's longtime Toronto manufacturing plant will close down within the next 18 months.

The soup giant says it will move its headquarters to a new location in the Greater Toronto Area after the closure, but 380 of the company's current 600 jobs will be "impacted."

"The decision to stop producing soup and broth in Canada was a difficult one," said Campbell executive Mark Alexander. "After a thorough review, we decided this was the best course of action for our business."

The company says the Toronto closure is necessary to improve its operational efficiency, citing a challenging retail environment that has seen volume declines of canned soup in North America.

Campbell says several factors have resulted in excess capacity in its North American supply chain network, and that due to its size and age the Toronto plant cannot be retrofitted in a way that is competitively viable.

The company says soup and broth production at the Toronto facility will be moved in phases over the next 18 months to three plants in North Carolina, Ohio and Texas.

Campbell says it will move its current Canadian headquarters and commercial operations at the Toronto facility to a new location in the Greater Toronto Area, which will feature a new food innovation centre.

It says about 200 jobs out of the nearly 600 positions at the Toronto facility will be relocated to the new headquarters.

(CBC (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/campbell-soup-closure-1.4502101))

macintosh doctor
Jan 24th, 2018, 10:48 PM
looks like the economic plan of a double liberal government is finally paying dividends.. At Least Trump's plans are paying off in bonuses and investments and factories returning to the US.

At least the next time i drive by, there will be a sign that reads " Campbells Condensed Lofts" coming soon LMAO
from $1.5 Million for 500 sq ft LOL

Macfury
Jan 24th, 2018, 11:42 PM
They didn't raise the minimum wage high enough to suit CM--and now look what happens!

eMacMan
Jan 24th, 2018, 11:56 PM
Looks like adding MSG to all of their products may have finally done them in.

smashedbanana
Jan 25th, 2018, 12:42 AM
Those jobs haven't been lost just condensed.

Or maybe CANdensed.

Macfury
Jan 25th, 2018, 12:50 AM

Ha!

SINC
Jan 25th, 2018, 04:54 AM

Or maybe CANdensed.

:clap:

macintosh doctor
Jan 25th, 2018, 12:40 PM
They didn't raise the minimum wage high enough to suit CM--and now look what happens!

oh, i thought the issue was highest electrical rates in North America and business and corporate and property taxes were the issues

Macfury
Jan 25th, 2018, 12:43 PM
oh, i thought the issue was highest electrical rates in North America and business and corporate and property taxes were the issues

Green energy just attracts businesses!

FeXL
Jan 25th, 2018, 12:48 PM
What I can't figger out is why this wasn't posted in the Ontario Political thread.

To close for comfort?

CubaMark
Jan 25th, 2018, 01:39 PM
What I can't figger out is why this wasn't posted in the Ontario Political thread.

To close for comfort?

Feel free to do so. As it's a newer thread, I didn't think of putting it there.

As I have no ties / allegiance to Toronto / Ontario or the Liberals, I don't know why you'd comment "To (sic) close for comfort?".

FeXL
Jan 25th, 2018, 02:09 PM
As an ideolog, you hate to pin anything on the left, deserving or not.

As I have no ties / allegiance to Toronto / Ontario or the Liberals, I don't know why you'd comment "To (sic) close for comfort?".

CubaMark
Jan 25th, 2018, 02:25 PM
As an ideolog, you hate to pin anything on the left, deserving or not.

You're referring to Ontario politics - what is this "Left" to which you refer?

Are you still under the illusion that the Liberal party is "leftist"?

Man, I'd hate to see the horizon looking from your position on the political spectrum :yikes:

Macfury
Jan 25th, 2018, 02:29 PM
It doesn't matter what you consider "left" to be. You tread lightly on anything to the left of the Republicans, PC Party or Conservatives.

Are you still under the illusion that the Liberal party is "leftist"?

Man, I'd hate to see the horizon looking from your position on the political spectrum :yikes:

FeXL
Jan 25th, 2018, 02:58 PM
<snort> Wynne certainly bears no resemblance to anything on the right. Just because Marx appears right to you doesn't mean there aren't any leftist politicians in the world.

macintosh doctor
Jan 25th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Feel free to do so. As it's a newer thread, I didn't think of putting it there.

the disastrous economics of Liberalism in Ontario, not to mention the confusion of sexual orientation taught in schools to kids in grade 3 and up when a 60 yr man is not mature enough to decide he is a female or not[bruce jenner], has a lot to do with everything wrong with leftism as well as public schools imposting islam upon others when it is supposed to be neutral of any religious teachings or offerings. - Would you as a business open here? or remain? nope.

smashedbanana
Jan 25th, 2018, 09:39 PM
Our province is a mess yes,

But the closing of this plant was
1. Because Campbells is having a hard time everywhere.
2. The plant was built in the 1930s and was going to be too expensive to switch over to more trendy food packing.

No one at this plant was affected by minimum wage hike..

Macfury
Jan 25th, 2018, 09:57 PM
However, they will build that "trendy packaging" capacity elsewhere--not here.

2. The plant was built in the 1930s and was going to be too expensive to switch over to more trendy food packing.

SINC
Jan 25th, 2018, 09:59 PM

It's not your province that is a mess. It's our country and as long as sock boy selfie is in charge we are doomed.

smashedbanana
Jan 26th, 2018, 03:30 AM
However, they will build that "trendy packaging" capacity elsewhere--not here.

I get it. But they didn't build another factory somewhere or add new employees in New Jersey so our loss wasn't really anyone's gain.

I assume they are going to sell that factory. Maybe it will get flattened and you guys can have even more condos.

Macfury
Jan 26th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Maybe it will get flattened and you guys can have even more condos.

The next glass condo is always better than the ones that have already been built. Sadly, the millennial generation and lower sees this as the only way they can live in Toronto, so they're all for flattening industrial, commercial and single dwelling neighbourhoods with the cheapest high-rise housing possible. They'll live in these towers and get jobs making sandwiches for each other and cutting each other's hair.