: Mac mail oddity

Jazzboy
Jan 22nd, 2018, 03:33 PM
My Mail application, which I have been using for decades, is behaving quite strangely. I've tried repeatedly to enter a new card, but once I get past typing in the person's name and move on to the next box the new card disappears and an existing card pops up. I tried saving the card (Done) after typing in the person's name, but the new card does not show up when I search on the name. Ideas?

eMacMan
Jan 22nd, 2018, 11:08 PM
I can't believe I am saying this, but possibly it's a permissions issue?

Jazzboy
Jan 23rd, 2018, 03:45 PM
I opened up the Info box on the Mail application, and under Sharing and Permissions I found "everyone" has "custom" access. When I tried to change it to "read and write" I get an error message saying "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission." As far as I know I should have total access to this system.

CubaMark
Jan 23rd, 2018, 03:56 PM
(a) what do you mean by a "card" ?

(b) permissions - reboot the Mac and hold Command-R or Option to get into the Recover partition. Then use Disk Utility to repair permissions (you cannot do this when booted from the internal drive). Restart and see if it fixes anything.

Are you still using the Powerbook G4 that's listed in your profile? If not, provide System version so we can more clearly assist.

pm-r
Jan 23rd, 2018, 08:39 PM
My Mail application, which I have been using for decades, is behaving quite strangely
OK, is the following the problem?

I've tried repeatedly to enter a new card, but once I get past typing in the person's name and move on to the next box the new card disappears and an existing card pops up.
What do you mean by a new card??

I don't understand your problem completely but to go from one text box to the next, use the tab key.

Also, when wads the last time you shutdown and restarted your Mac??

And what model and OS X version are you using.

Also what have you added lately that could change how your Mail works??

- Patrick
======

Jazzboy
Jan 24th, 2018, 04:12 AM
D'oh! I wrote Mail when I meant to say Contacts. Anyway, I spent an hour on the phone with an Apple tech, and in the end the problem was solved by changing the default email address to my iCloud address from Gmail. Cuba Mark, please update my profile to show a 2009 iMac, 8MB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.2. And thanks to all for taking the time to read my misleading post.

CubaMark
Jan 24th, 2018, 12:08 PM
D'oh! I wrote Mail when I meant to say Contacts.

Yeah, that makes more sense ;)

Cuba Mark, please update my profile to show a 2009 iMac, 8MB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.2.

I've been here at ehMac a looooong time, amigo, but they still haven't given me those godlike powers. You'll have to update your own profile ;) Click the "User CP" link at the top of the forum window. :)