: For Sale MacPro 2006 with CPU upgrades - not working

Todd
Jan 18th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Repaired and now for sale again.

Macfury
Jan 20th, 2018, 12:21 AM
The highest version of OS X that will run with the 7300 GT video card is 10.6.8....

I wish I had known this before I screwed around with Lion!

Todd
Jan 20th, 2018, 11:28 AM
I wish I had known this before I screwed around with Lion!

It was an arbitrary, forced-obsolescence decision by Apple. The machine can be hacked to fool higher versions of OS X to run. Easier, however, is to install a newer, off-the-shelf video card and run Linux. (Or keep the old 7300 card if using the machine for server duty, as I did.) The machine is (was) still very capable and, ironically, runs the newest versions of Debian Linux better than old versions of Apple's own OS X.

I used the machine daily as a server until it quit a few days ago.

eMacMan
Jan 20th, 2018, 03:43 PM
As always did you replace the little clock battery? I have seen many different varieties of Apples paralyzed by those little batteries.

Macfury
Jan 21st, 2018, 12:23 PM
It's a good machine--I still use it for video conversions. I was just furious that the switch to Lion forced me to swap video cards with another box so I could downgrade.

One of the more valuable components of your box is the drive sleds--try to buy them aftermarket for under $100.

It was an arbitrary, forced-obsolescence decision by Apple. The machine can be hacked to fool higher versions of OS X to run. Easier, however, is to install a newer, off-the-shelf video card and run Linux. (Or keep the old 7300 card if using the machine for server duty, as I did.) The machine is (was) still very capable and, ironically, runs the newest versions of Debian Linux better than old versions of Apple's own OS X.

I used the machine daily as a server until it quit a few days ago.