: Running OS X - 2 versions (?)


redhalton
Dec 14th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Hi

I have an issue where I would like to upload the latest version of Mac OS on my iMac but if I do that I'll pretty well make my Adobe CS5 programs useless. Right now with El Capitan I can still use my CS5 programs but there are issues I've had to work through.

This is what I'm thinking; if I can partition my drive and run the latest OS X for my cloud based software ie: MS Office/PS CC/LR CC and then when I need to revert back to my CS5 ver of DW and Indesign I use the other partition. Yes I could also subscribe to the full CC version of Adobe products but I only use this product for personal use and I'm trying to limit my financial exposure right now.

Does this even make sense?

Thanks..

polywog
Dec 14th, 2017, 09:44 AM
You might be able to install the older version of OS X in parallels, which would save you rebooting.

SINC
Dec 14th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Are you sure a bout that? I am running High Sierra and I can still run Adobe CS3 on my MBP and it works just fine.

redhalton
Dec 14th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Are you sure a bout that? I am running High Sierra and I can still run Adobe CS3 on my MBP and it works just fine.

Interesting.....I had some issues especially with ID CS5 running El Capitan and talked about this on the Adobe board. They told me that CS5 wasn't designed to run on the latest versions of OS X.

So I guess my next question will be;

If I update to High Sierra and find CS5 isn't compatible, can I revert back to an earlier version of OS X?

Thanks..

West Coast Boy
Dec 14th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Why not install High Sierra on a second partition, and then attempt to install CS5 on that partition and see how it plays before going any further - then you would know if it plays nice (or if you have the space on a partition - clone your existing setup to that partition and then do the upgrade to High Sierra and see how CS5 works on your setup under High Sierra)

redhalton
Dec 14th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Why not install High Sierra on a second partition, and then attempt to install CS5 on that partition and see how it plays before going any further - then you would know if it plays nice (or if you have the space on a partition - clone your existing setup to that partition and then do the upgrade to High Sierra and see how CS5 works on your setup under High Sierra)

Sounds reasonable...now I need to go back and look for a tut or two on how to properly partition my drive.

Anyone have any links to a video tut?

Thanks..

eMacMan
Dec 14th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Think external drive. They are tailor made for just this problem. Start with multiple partitions and clone elCap to one of them. Give it a good test drive, then do whatever you like to the main set-up knowing you can always clone back if the situation demands it.

wonderings
Dec 14th, 2017, 01:36 PM
I installed High Sierra as a virtual machine on my iMac and ran CS5 no problem. I just tested for curiosity, did not do any serious work, just opened the apps, checked a few things and it all seemed to work as it should. Days are probably numbered though till you either have to accept no more updating or bite the bullet and go with the monthly subscription that Adobe has forced down our throats. I need the software so I have CC, but I hate that Adobe has pushed this on us and ultimately give us nothing if we stop paying. I would think if I have paid for a full year and when the next update comes out I should be able to hold on to their "old" version after canceling. Does not matter how many years you are in, you cancel you have zero.

redhalton
Dec 14th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I installed High Sierra as a virtual machine on my iMac and ran CS5 no problem. I just tested for curiosity, did not do any serious work, just opened the apps, checked a few things and it all seemed to work as it should. Days are probably numbered though till you either have to accept no more updating or bite the bullet and go with the monthly subscription that Adobe has forced down our throats. I need the software so I have CC, but I hate that Adobe has pushed this on us and ultimately give us nothing if we stop paying. I would think if I have paid for a full year and when the next update comes out I should be able to hold on to their "old" version after canceling. Does not matter how many years you are in, you cancel you have zero.

Presently have PS/LR CC which I like and don't mind the $10.00 p/mnth price point but its when I add the other apps into the monthly subscription it gets very expensive, very fast. When I purchased the CS5 Design Suite CC wasn't even on the horizon and considering the original cost of CS5 I'm still a little dismayed it will eventually become redundant. Oh well we move on and work with what we have. Thanks for taking your time to test and add your input to the conversation.

redhalton
Dec 14th, 2017, 06:13 PM
Think external drive. They are tailor made for just this problem. Start with multiple partitions and clone elCap to one of them. Give it a good test drive, then do whatever you like to the main set-up knowing you can always clone back if the situation demands it.

Thanks for the input.

I've had full intentions of purchasing a 2TB Time Capsule for a couple years but every time I get close, something else takes priority. I need to take another serious look at this.

pm-r
Dec 14th, 2017, 11:33 PM
I've had full intentions of purchasing a 2TB Time Capsule for a couple years but every time I get close, something else takes priority. I need to take another serious look at this.


Forget about using a Time Capsule for partitioning or booting from, in fact I'd say forget it for any possible useful thing.

Even Apple dropped them!!

Just a normal external drive will do you well. Partitioned or not.