: Anyone buying an iMac Pro?

CubaMark
Dec 12th, 2017, 12:51 PM
They're almost here :)

Apple’s iMac Pro arrives December 14, starting at $4,999 (https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/12/apples-imac-pro-arrives-december-14-starting-at-4999/)

It seems like forever ago that Apple first teased the iMac Pro, the souped up, professional grade version of its all-in-one. Announced back at WWDC, the company promised the computer would arrive sometime in December, and in spite a few months of near radio silence on that front, it looks like it’s about to deliver.

The dark gray desktop will be available in a matter of days, on December 14, bringing with it some pretty nutty internal specs and a price tag to match. The iMac Pro starts at $4,999 and includes up to an 18-core Xeon processor, 128GB of memory and 4TB of storage. This is pretty a serious piece of machinery in a form factor that was once consider a bit of an at-home computer starter kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-h5Mhlt6O0

(TechCrunch (https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/12/apples-imac-pro-arrives-december-14-starting-at-4999/))

18m2
Dec 12th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Is that US $$$$?

eMacMan
Dec 12th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Hopefully it will free up some later model cheese-grater MacPros at reasonable prices. My 1,1 is long in the tooth even though I prefer it for doing anything useful. I still think Snow Leopard is really the last benchmark OS. Everything since seems like they were in such a rush to get the next version out the door they forgot to finish the current one.

CubaMark
Dec 12th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Is that US $$$$?

:eek: yes :eek:

That's $6440 CAD by straight currency exchange at today's rate (12 December 2017), but the actual retail price in Canadian dollars has not yet been announced :yikes:

wonderings
Dec 12th, 2017, 03:38 PM
I looked at the iMac Pro as I will probably upgrade in the next year or 2 at latest. I have an 5K iMac, first model, maxed out. It has been a good machine, but I think the iMac Pro is over kill for graphic work in Indesign, Illustrator and light photoshop use. Also the price tag is pretty up there considering I can get a maxed out 5k iMac for significantly less and it is still no slouch.

rgray
Dec 13th, 2017, 08:26 AM
I would be interested in a MBP 17", especially if it was 'olde skule' by which I mean with user serviceable RAM, HD, Battery. We had one of the last of these that  made until it's main board crapped out twice. When running well it was a brutal workhorse. I would love to get another. It was the closest thing to a pro laptop that  ever made........... IMHO.

WCraig
Dec 13th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I looked at the iMac Pro as I will probably upgrade in the next year or 2 at latest. I have an 5K iMac, first model, maxed out. It has been a good machine, but I think the iMac Pro is over kill for graphic work in Indesign, Illustrator and light photoshop use. Also the price tag is pretty up there considering I can get a maxed out 5k iMac for significantly less and it is still no slouch.

One of the reviewers said that building a Windows machine with comparable specs would cost roughly the same price. IOW, Apple isn't price gouging; the iMac Pro has high-end, workstation-class innards. In a pretty package.

With the number of cores available, it looks like a wet dream for video producers and software developers. If they can use it to make more money in less time, why not?

Craig

wonderings
Dec 13th, 2017, 10:42 AM
One of the reviewers said that building a Windows machine with comparable specs would cost roughly the same price. IOW, Apple isn't price gouging; the iMac Pro has high-end, workstation-class innards. In a pretty package.

With the number of cores available, it looks like a wet dream for video producers and software developers. If they can use it to make more money in less time, why not?

Craig

Not saying it is not high end or would be cheaper going PC. Simply stating that it was over kill for my needs and I would probably not see a huge noticeable different in performance over a maxed out 5k iMac. So would make more sense to go the "cheaper" route with a 5K iMac over the iMac Pro for my needs.

keebler27
Dec 14th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Not now, but maybe someday.

I don't run my video transfer business any longer and my 2013 MP works perfect for my own photo and video projects. Plus I have a 34" LG screen so I'm good monitor wise.

But I've always adored the iMac - such an amazing piece of technology so you never know.

Some people aren't happy about the lack of upgradability, but if you buy the model you want 1st, I can't ever see the need to upgrade...or at least not for a long, long time.

Good luck to those who buy it! It is tempting, but just justifiable for me now! :)

Cheers,
Brian

robert
Dec 14th, 2017, 09:15 AM
I'm on an iMac now after using a cheese grater for many many years.

I dislike the un-upgradability of the iMac.
It isn't as clean cut as buying what you need 1st.
Some can't afford it off the mark. (maxed ram especially from Apple)
Others have their needs change over time.
HD's are my biggest beef. Externals all over the place instead of in the machine itself.
No CD tray hurts as I still have clients who need files burnt onto a CD/DVD. (externals just add to the desk clutter-although I do have to now buy one)
Lastly, adding newer tech to older machines to keep them going. (PCI cards/video cards)

wonderings
Dec 14th, 2017, 09:35 AM
That is my own beef with the iMac, not being able to easily put in a new hard drive of my choosing. I would even pay Apple to do it, but they are so stuck on only using what you originally ordered the iMac with. Why do they care if a few years down the road I want to pay for something else, they can swap anyways if the product was defective so it is purely Apple refusing to offer any upgrades as it probably hurts their profits. I could extend the life of some iMacs I have at work if I could get some SSD's or flash drives in them. I did that with the Mac Minis we have and they now are still productive little computers.

At least we can swap the RAM on the iMacs and have been easily for a long time. I never buy RAM from Apple can always get it cheaper elsewhere and max it out myself.

Macfury
Dec 14th, 2017, 11:01 AM
I guess this model is supposed to replace the late, great upgradeable MacPro. I have stuck with a Mac pro 3,1 for the past couple of years ($350 in 2015) which runs a max of ElCapitan. Will skip 4,1 models, which can't run the latest OS, but I am now seeing 5,1 machines falling below $1,000. As mentioned upthread, I hope this model clears out some high-end cheese graters.

Have seen garbage pail Mac Pros around $1,200 as well, but these were never appealing to me, aesthetically or otherwise. Would rather skip those, settle in on a 5,1 and eventually buy one of these at 5 or 6 years old.

CubaMark
Dec 14th, 2017, 01:29 PM
The iMac Pro is now up on the Apple Canada Store (https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro). $6299.

Macfury
Dec 14th, 2017, 02:30 PM
The iMac Pro is now up on the Apple Canada Store (https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro). $6299.

Yup. For fun I maxed out the available option for the model (including production software) to more than $17,000.

CubaMark
Dec 14th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Buy! Buy! Buy! :D

macintosh doctor
Dec 15th, 2017, 02:16 PM
i sold 3 in one day - my clients have been waiting years for a model like this

maximusbibicus
Dec 15th, 2017, 04:17 PM
I want the keyboard!

wonderings
Dec 15th, 2017, 04:51 PM
I want the keyboard!

Looks like the only way to get one is by buying the iMac Pro. They are not selling them separately. I would certainly like the keyboard, the white ones look great when clean, but with daily use get dirty pretty quick.

macintosh doctor
Dec 16th, 2017, 12:59 AM
I want the keyboard!

as i mentioned before Matias sell the iMac Pro keyboard - i have been using it for months.

Macfury
Dec 18th, 2017, 01:10 AM
i sold 3 in one day - my clients have been waiting years for a model like this

I'll bet there are people in certain industries who can make this pay off. I couldn't make a $17,000 iMac pay off in 20 years.

robert
Dec 18th, 2017, 07:42 AM
I'll bet there are people in certain industries who can make this pay off. I couldn't make a $17,000 iMac pay off in 20 years.

or "I could pay off a $17,000 iMac in 20 years" :D

macintosh doctor
Dec 18th, 2017, 12:47 PM

the issue lays on the fact of cost per hour.. how much is your staff costing you to sit around for rendering?
i guess you have to weigh the pros and cons of paying someone to masturbate during wait times or have them work all day and get your moneys worth out of them lol
simple economics

robert
Dec 18th, 2017, 04:52 PM
actually, as Macdoc pointed out to me once, if you lease it, you can deduct those payments from your total income. It does help your bottom line as far as tax is concerned.

I do see most designers using iMacs now instead of MacPros.

Lastly, I see computers going the way of automobiles. Used to be most could fix a car at their home but now need to be taken to a garage. No more user replaceable parts.

wonderings
Dec 19th, 2017, 09:16 AM
actually, as Macdoc pointed out to me once, if you lease it, you can deduct those payments from your total income. It does help your bottom line as far as tax is concerned.

I do see most designers using iMacs now instead of MacPros.

Lastly, I see computers going the way of automobiles. Used to be most could fix a car at their home but now need to be taken to a garage. No more user replaceable parts.

Used to use Power Macs here at work, Dual G4's and a Dual G5 before eventually switching to iMacs. For design work using Adobe CC iMacs are great. Plenty of power and great displays in a nice clean all in one form. I do miss the convenience though of the old towers, being able to add hard drives with ease. Now when I fill up what I have I have no option from Apple, they will not even accept my money to put in something bigger. They are stuck on this idiotic idea about only replacing exactly what you had in when you ordered from them.

When I was pricing out computers I looked at the Mac Pro trash can design. For the same price I got a maxed out 5K iMac that performed almost as well based on the spec sheets. The big difference was I got a great screen with the iMac and with the Mac Pro I would have to shell out another chunk of change to get a great screen to go with the Mac Pro.

pm-r
Dec 19th, 2017, 08:33 PM
When I was pricing out computers I looked at the Mac Pro trash can design. For the same price I got a maxed out 5K iMac that performed almost as well based on the spec sheets.

It seems the new iMac Pro is a bit different. It's absurdly way out of my needs or wallet capacity, but then there are the Pros who can probably write off most of the extreme cost, and with such positive reviews and comments as:
- you can expect a 200-300% increase in performance in almost every industry leading software with the iMac Pro.
Basically, if you’re debating whether or not to purchase the iMac Pro you should ask yourself just one question: how much is your time worth to you?

That's quite a performance increase for any normal Pro I would think. :D

Early iMac Pro reviews are in and the machine is an absolute monster – BGR (http://bgr.com/2017/12/12/imac-pro-review-performance-amazing-speed/)

wonderings
Dec 20th, 2017, 09:14 AM
It seems the new iMac Pro is a bit different. It's absurdly way out of my needs or wallet capacity, but then there are the Pros who can probably write off most of the extreme cost, and with such positive reviews and comments as:

That's quite a performance increase for any normal Pro I would think. :D

Early iMac Pro reviews are in and the machine is an absolute monster – BGR (http://bgr.com/2017/12/12/imac-pro-review-performance-amazing-speed/)

200 to 300% increase? I am guessing that is all for rendering and processing time. If that were the case working with Indesign or anything else in Adobe CC would be butter smooth with ZERO spinning beach balls even for a second. Scroll through pages in Indesign can be a bit choppy at times, depending on the complexity of the file of course, but if this was a promise that this would never ever happen on an iMac Pro I would be ordering one. Time will tell.