: 10.13.2 update bricked my 2010 MBPro

TiltAgain
Dec 9th, 2017, 02:45 AM
2010 MacBook Pro 17".

I clicked on the 10.13.2 update. I let the machine alone for the next half an hour without observing what was going on.

When I came back I found that it had restarted, and had a Grey screen with the "Prohibited" symbol on the screen - a circle with a backslash running through it.

Restarting in Safe mode did noting, it came back to the same screen.

SMC and PRAM reset too did not help - came back to the same screen.

Now, I have a High Sierra Installer USB key and I am trying to boot from that. My plan is to see if I can do a disk repair from that and check if that helps; otherwise I shall next try reinstalling the OS from that USB.

Waiting for it to boot from the USB..................................

Disk Utility showed no errors of any kind. Now trying to start again from the internal hard drive.........................

Still waiting............................ (Interestingly, when I changed Startup Drive from Disk Utility, it showed the internal drive as 10.13.2, meaning, the OS has already been updated.

Still waiting...................................

HA, OK, booted and showed the login screen!

I wonder what the problem was and why this happened! Any thoughts?

Also, I read while googling for help that some people had this problem recur while rebooting later; I need to see if this happens to me too. Until then, ciao!

Cheers

SINC
Dec 9th, 2017, 05:37 AM
I always use the combo updater found here in case this happens again.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1944?locale=en_CA

eMacMan
Dec 9th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Sounds like for whatever reason, the updater lost track of the start-up disk. Selecting the start-up disk, when booted from the USB key ran the terminal bless command, and all should be well. Still a scary experience especially when you don't know the cause of the issue. A bug like that should never have made it to release stage.

FWIW. So far I have heard nothing about High Sierra that would make me want to abandon elCap on my MBP.

pm-r
Dec 9th, 2017, 05:11 PM
@eMacMan
FWIW. So far I have heard nothing about High Sierra that would make me want to abandon elCap on my MBP.

That makes at least two of us and I'm not even using elCap on a regular basis as even it dropped several features I appreciate using with Mavericks.

rgray
Dec 10th, 2017, 12:00 AM
The series of events described by the OP when running the installer pretty much mirrors my own experience except that I did not intervene and I never got the so-called 'prohibited' icon, tho' I did get a period of grey screen. seems to me it rebooted at least once in the sequence. I just left it to run at its own pace and all turned out well.

It is a bit nerve wracking not knowing quite what the sequence of events should be expected during OS installs or updates.......

It is equally difficult to remember the exact sequence after it has happened.....

It has been running perfectly since.

TiltAgain
Dec 10th, 2017, 01:46 AM
*SNIPPED FOR RELEVANCE*

A bug like that should never have made it to release stage.

*SNIPPED FOR RELEVANCE*.

Well, to be fair, there were no issues when I updated my 2013 iMac, and no issues even when I upgraded the MBPro to High Sierra. It is only this one update, and that too only on the MBPro that had this problem.

The series of events described by the OP when running the installer pretty much mirrors my own experience except that I did not intervene and I never got the so-called 'prohibited' icon, tho' I did get a period of grey screen. seems to me it rebooted at least once in the sequence. I just left it to run at its own pace and all turned out well.

It is a bit nerve wracking not knowing quite what the sequence of events should be expected during OS installs or updates.......

It is equally difficult to remember the exact sequence after it has happened.....

The thing is, there were no mentions of anything like this anywhere online. The only references I found to the "prohibited" screen pertained to machines already running, and also all the articles were very old. Once again, I faced a problem that nobody else in the world has ever faced ;)

BTW, there's more to my story:

Once I logged in, the system kept beach balling; with powering off being the only solution. Safari beachballed, Finder beachballed, the Force-Quit key combo popped up the window and then beachballed, etc.

Powering off, powering on and logging in again worked for a minute or so and then the cycle started again.

I thought that the machine was finally toast and that I had to shell out good coin for diagnosis and maybe replacement of logic board and/or RAM and/or hard disc. However, as a last ditch attempt I created another user and logged in as that user. Et voila, no more beachballs - at least none last night. I have to see tonight if the problem recurs.

Cheers

pm-r
Dec 10th, 2017, 01:55 PM
The thing is, there were no mentions of anything like this anywhere online.

Hmmm…??? There have been several posts about recent OSX and iOS installs seemingly FUBAR at the mac-forums.com site and I'm sure others.

It seems that Apple should have a HUGE warning at the beginning that things may not go according to expectations. :-(

pm-r
Dec 10th, 2017, 02:02 PM

At least that a positive note at the end and a lot better than some user's experience.

I seems odd that there are so many variations with the later OS installs. And does everyone run Disk Utility etc. before running the install??? Or maybe the installer should do it for them if it doesn't already.

rgray
Dec 10th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Hmmm…???
It seems that Apple should have a HUGE warning at the beginning that things may not go according to expectations. :-(

Hell, if the would just tell one what to expect it would be an improvement.....

pm-r
Dec 10th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Hell, if the would just tell one what to expect it would be an improvement.....

I would have thought that something like that would be the minimum they could do.

But I guess they don't want to be upsetting Jony Ive's "design and balance" but I think he can be excused on this one, maybe, as he was supposed to be busy with the new Apple Park campus etc. I believe.

TiltAgain
Dec 11th, 2017, 02:12 AM
Hmmm…??? There have been several posts about recent OSX and iOS installs seemingly FUBAR at the mac-forums.com site and I'm sure others.(

Well, an online search did not show up anything about the prohibited sign with High Sierra. I am afraid I did not go any further than that in the idea that it would've shown up there.

Cheers