: Migration, permissions issue

rgray
Nov 30th, 2017, 02:26 PM
I installed an SSD in my MBP2010. When tried to migrate from the original drive (external now) migration failed. Never got past "Starting up" after hours (all night) so I quit and because it returned me to the migration choice page I migrated from my Timemachine backup which mostly went well except that somewhere in the process I had to create a new user. Everything migrated except the Music and Pictures folders.

I went back and tried to Restore the Pictures folder from Timemachine and was left with this:-82817
Note the l;itle red minus on Pictures!!!
I can't delete, Trash, or put anything in it!

I have managed to sort out the permissions on the old drive so that I have managed to sort out the Music folder and could move the original Pictures folder or contents but I can't do anything about getting rid of or modifying the folder with the red minus???

I tried sudo rmdir in Terminal and it replied "permission denied"........ ??

What do I do?

Any suggestions welcome....... :)

rgray
Nov 30th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Conquered the bastard!!!

Removed the offending folder/directory using Terminal !!!!

sudo rm -Rf /Users/******/Pictures did the job!

And since I sorted the permissions issue on the old drive I was able to drag over the original Pictures folder and drop it in my User folder on the SSD.

Photos opens fine, and everything is in good order!!

Job done! Mission accomplished! And I figured it out myself!

Hope this info helps someone else!!!!

:D :D :lmao: :clap:

pm-r
Nov 30th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Conquered the bastard!!!

Well done and congratulations with your persistence and success.

But it does seem a bit odd that you have all your photos as that folder you removed and deleted is normally where a user's photos are kept. Unless you were using a different Photos.app Library.

rgray
Nov 30th, 2017, 07:28 PM
A bit odd!!! :eek:

Understatement!! ;)

It happened when I tried to restore Pictures from TimeMachine (because it di'n't show up after migration) but there were permission issues, so the restored Folder was locked down, had nothing in it and could not be moved or modified by usual Finder means. Still not quite sure of the parameters that lead to the problem, but glad its dealt with and the new SSD is singing along excellently!!!!!

rgray
Nov 30th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Conquered the bastard!!!

sudo rm -Rf /Users/******/Pictures did the job!

And since I sorted the permissions issue on the old drive I was able to drag over the original Pictures folder and drop it in my User folder on the SSD.

Job done! Mission accomplished! And I figured it out myself!

Hope this info helps someone else!!!!

:D :D :lmao: :clap:

With all due credit to the computer services at Carleton University, Psychology, and Memorial University of Newfoundland, Psychology, and the Marine Sciences Research Lab at MUN, and the Royal Ottawa Hospital, U of O where I learned basic UNIX chops enough to be aware of the power of the 'switches' under the various commands, all circa 1970-1980...... ;) ;)

The rest comes down to personal stubbornness not to be beaten by the problem........ :clap: :clap:

pm-r
Dec 1st, 2017, 12:43 AM
With all due credit to the computer services

And maybe also due to the Gulag of E ON :o