: Finicky key on A1243 keyboard

Amina
Nov 30th, 2017, 03:06 AM
My "T" key only works if I press it a certain way (perfectly vertically). If I hit it at an angle at all, it doesn't register.

I popped the key off, cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol, but I think the problem is under the membrane. If I press the membrane perfectly right from the top, the letter registers, but if I come in at an angle, it doesn't.

Do I need to disassemble the whole keyboard to get under the membrane to see if the contacts are touching properly?

eMacMan
Nov 30th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Man has the price on those ever gone through the roof. I'd have to look it up but a few years ago I paid well under $100 CDN for mine.

Normally if things don't work you can bet I will disassemble and attempt to fix the problem, literally nothing to lose. In this case you have a working keyboard and there is always a chance that disassembly could kill it, so approach it with that in mind.

Amina
Nov 30th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Fixed.

I didn't have to pull the keyboard apart. Instead, I found a way to get under the membrane by simply pulling it up.

I sprayed alcohol directly under the membrane, slid a piece of paper towel underneath to sop up most of it, and let it dry overnight.

Bingo. Like new.

pm-r
Nov 30th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Fixed.

I didn't have to pull the keyboard apart. Instead, I found a way to get under the membrane by simply pulling it up.

I sprayed alcohol directly under the membrane, slid a piece of paper towel underneath to sop up most of it, and let it dry overnight.

Bingo. Like new.

Congrats on the fix and the clever method. Neat.