: Lightning cable oddity

Kleles
Nov 24th, 2017, 11:17 PM
I have a third party Lightning - USB cable that charges my iPhone SE but does not charge my iPad mini. When I plug it into the mini a “Not Charging” message appears beside the battery icon. No problems using Apple cables. Any suggestions?

pm-r
Nov 25th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Sorry, no suggestion other than to get o\and use a cable that actually works.

We just discovered my wife's virtually new gold Lightning - USB cable is not charging her iPhone 6S. Not even any message or icon. I believe it's an Apple cable that came with the gold iPhone 6S.

I haven't tried using it with anything else to check but then again, we don't have anything else using those ports to do so. ;-)

polywog
Nov 27th, 2017, 05:02 AM
I have a third party Lightning - USB cable that charges my iPhone SE but does not charge my iPad mini. When I plug it into the mini a “Not Charging” message appears beside the battery icon. No problems using Apple cables. Any suggestions?

Is it MFI Certified? If not, I wouldn't ever risk charging your phone with it.

Kleles
Nov 27th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Is it MFI Certified? If not, I wouldn't ever risk charging your phone with it.

Indeed! It is not an MFI Certified cable. After reading https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204566 and carefully examining the cable, it is clearly not Apple approved.

I then checked the cables that came with the iOS devices and found that they met the criteria in the above article, except for the presence of a place of manufacture and serial number.

Am I correct in assuming that non-Apple cables sold in the Apple store are certified?

pm-r
Nov 27th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Indeed! It is not an MFI Certified cable. …

Interesting and informative thanks and I'll have to check the cables that came with my wife's iPhone 6S.

But I also found this interesting:
What is Apple MFI Certification?
https://paracable.com/pages/what-is-apple-mfi-certification

Am I correct in assuming that non-Apple cables sold in the Apple store are certified?
Yikes!! What a thought and I'm sure there would be sh*t flying and discovered by now if they weren't. Apple consumers are pretty quick and observant to catch any would-be snake-oil type sales!!!

polywog
Nov 27th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Indeed! It is not an MFI Certified cable. After reading https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204566 and carefully examining the cable, it is clearly not Apple approved.

I then checked the cables that came with the iOS devices and found that they met the criteria in the above article, except for the presence of a place of manufacture and serial number.

They ought to be; I can't see Apple allowing cheap knockoffs in their store. I still avoid anything that doesn't clearly say MFI certified in the description.

pm-r
Nov 27th, 2017, 06:31 PM
I still avoid anything that doesn't clearly say MFI certified in the description.

I guess one has to rely on any packaging info because none of our cables provide any indication except one has the moshi name etched and their sited says it's a licensed and MFI Certified cable.

And the ends look correct according to that Apple description page.

Anyway, none give any warning when used so I guess that's good enough, unless a cheater MFI chip is being used, if they exist.

BTW: The reason the one cable was not charging my wife's iPhone 6S properly was due to the case preventing the Lightening connector from being inserted fully. Something that Kleles may want to check with their "non-charging cable" in post #1.

- Patrick
======

Kleles
Nov 27th, 2017, 09:38 PM
I checked that the cable was properly seated, and it was. All if this is informative and I’ve set aside the knock-off cable.
Amazon sells "AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable.” Has anyone tried this brand?

pm-r
Nov 28th, 2017, 12:39 AM
Amazon sells "AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable.” Has anyone tried this brand?

No I haven't but they seem to have a good reputation and they have a good return/refund policy if you needed it.

- Patrick
======

polywog
Nov 28th, 2017, 05:13 AM
I checked that the cable was properly seated, and it was. All if this is informative and I’ve set aside the knock-off cable.

I have a couple, no issues. My wife managed to break hers after two months, but she goes through cables like candy!

pm-r
Nov 28th, 2017, 01:46 PM

Don't forget Monoprice that has a good reputation and good quality cables etc. at a decent, reasonable price:
https://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=lightening

Kleles
Nov 28th, 2017, 08:17 PM
I bought a Kopplen brand Lightning - USB cable at Canada Computer. Checked the brand on the Apple site, and the package has the logo. Works as it should.

I noticed many brands that I was not familiar with, including iCAN which did not have the logo but did state that it was compatible with iPod, iPad, iPhone. The less expensive ones had no logo or statement about having been Apple certified. Neither did the original cable package about which I started this thread.