: Strange iMac start-up behaviour

18m2
Nov 24th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Our power went out some time last night during a windstorm and came back on around 6 AM. My iMac was off and when I tries to start it I got no response from the on button.

I left it alone and roughly a half hour later I heard it chime. :clap:

Any idea what was causing the delay?

pm-r
Nov 24th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Any idea what was causing the delay?

No doubt it spent some time recovering from a possible electrical surge which can happen if it's plugged into any normal AC receptacle. Even if it was turned Off. And some Macs have a resettable power circuit that may have been doing what it was supposed to do.

You and it were lucky it did so and recovered.

But I guess our house is super insulated with its rigid foam in the walls and/or I was really tired and slept soundly as I didn't hear any strong winds last night.

- Patrick
======

18m2
Nov 25th, 2017, 02:50 AM
I appreciate your advise.

My iMac is plugged into so-called surge protected power bar. I don't now how effective those things are especially when they are old. None of our other electronics had any issues and my wife's computer started right up.

I'm thankful it started back up.

pm-r
Nov 25th, 2017, 01:11 PM
My iMac is plugged into so-called surge protected power bar. I don't now how effective those things are especially when they are old.

Your "so-called" description is probably quite correct if the so-called power bar is a cheap one, and might have some label on the bottom like "This Power Strip product is produced by the famous Chinese Power Strip manufacturer.", it's basically useless.

Most such bars have not much more than a single surge chip that looks like a wafer capacitor. If you're lucky, it mat have a light to let you know if it has blown .

There are some excellent and affordable protecting power bars made by APC and Tripp-lite and others and will often have their ratings somewhere on the device. Most also carry insurance of some sort.

Maybe read some articles on the subject for advice and make sure whatever you might buy that they are rated and approved for use in Canada, (and maybe even for your area in BC. Check your local electrical hydro inspection department.)

mkolesa
Nov 26th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Several years ago I got a APC unit on sale and love it! Keep in mind, there are cheaper models that are basically only a step up from a power bar, whereas the larger 'tower' designs will actually run your system for some time if the power fails. The nice thing is they connect to your computer with a USB so your computer knows when you're running on battery back up and you can set your computer to do a planned shut down before the battery runs down. I love this feature! After several years the battery in the APC lost it's oomph (wouldn't run the system during power outages anymore) but it was easy enough to order a replacement battery from APC.

pm-r
Nov 26th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Several years ago I got a APC unit on sale and love it! Keep in mind, there are cheaper models that are basically only a step up from a power bar, whereas the larger 'tower' designs will actually run your system for some time if the power fails.…
… …After several years the battery in the APC lost it's oomph (wouldn't run the system during power outages anymore) but it was easy enough to order a replacement battery from APC.

Good advice, especially in locations of power interruptions and lightning storms etc., but be aware that one can purchase excellent equivalent non-OEM replacement batteries for a fraction of the manufacturer's price from many good battery suppliers.