: How will a 2010 MacBook Pro perform with Bootcamp and Windows 10?

hhk
Nov 20th, 2017, 10:20 AM
I have an old MacBook Pro (MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13-Inch (Mid-2010) that I'd like to repurpose as a dedicated Windows machine. It has 4GB of RAM that I could upgrade to 8GB. But, before I go through the effort, can anyone tell me what I could expect for performance?

I'm not doing any complex rendering tasks. I am only using it to run a Windows 10 - only bike training app that uses real video for ride simulation. I don't think there is a ton of processing tasks going on except for the video display. It uses Bluetooth to communicate with the trainer.

Thanks.

18m2
Nov 20th, 2017, 01:41 PM
I have an old white 13" MacBook that I set up to run Windows 7 and some software to tune the ECU in my toy car. I upgraded the MacBook to (I believe) 6Gb of RAM and a 20Gb SSD. I use an ethernet cable to directly connect the ECU to the MacBook.

It runs OK with no problems. I did, however, turn WIFI off to avoid the Microsoft updates every time I wanted to use the computer. It was a pain in the butt. I see no need to upgrade the OS and I don't do anything else on the machine.

wonderings
Nov 20th, 2017, 02:20 PM
I have an old MacBook Pro (MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13-Inch (Mid-2010) that I'd like to repurpose as a dedicated Windows machine. It has 4GB of RAM that I could upgrade to 8GB. But, before I go through the effort, can anyone tell me what I could expect for performance?

I'm not doing any complex rendering tasks. I am only using it to run a Windows 10 - only bike training app that uses real video for ride simulation. I don't think there is a ton of processing tasks going on except for the video display. It uses Bluetooth to communicate with the trainer.

Thanks.

What is the minimum software requirements for the application you are using?

I would think Windows 10 should run fine, it is a light OS, my favourite version of Windows. I would definitely upgrade the RAM, cheap and easy. If you want a noticeable upgrade replace your hard drive with an SSD. Your computer will feel like a new one.

hhk
Nov 20th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Minimum requirements:

Windows 10 Version 1709
CORE I3-7100U (2.4GHZ Dual core 2mb L3 cache.) Or equivalent, 4GB Ram.

I'm kind of hoping not to invest more into this old laptop.