: No Mail Drop Option, But It's Selected For Large Attachments

Gene B
Oct 26th, 2017, 12:05 PM
When I attempt to send an email with numerous photos (Large Selected), and the entire message is oversize, there is no Mail Drop option to select.
Below is what I see.
“Cannot send message using the server iCloud
Your message has size 29.3 MB, which exceeds 28.3 MB, the maximum allowed by the server.
Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.”
This is how my Mac Mail is set up.
Accounts
iCloud IMAP
Account Information
‘Enable this account’, is checked.
Download Attachments: All
‘Send large attachments with Mail Drop’, is checked.
iMac (27-inch, Late 2014)
10.13 (17A405)
How might I get the opportunity to use Mail Drop?
Is it only for one oversize attachment, and not oversize messages with too many attachments?

eMacMan
Oct 26th, 2017, 01:54 PM
You can always use DropBox or OneDrive. Both are free.

NOTE: Both of these can be set-up and accessed through your browser, no need to download or use the fancy special app. Once you have uploaded your file/files you can get a share link and include that in your eMail.

TIP: if several things go together put them in a new folder, then share the folder rather than the individual files

pm-r
Oct 26th, 2017, 02:03 PM
How might I get the opportunity to use Mail Drop?

Reduce the size of the attachment(s) or use a server that accepts a message size of at least 30 MB.

Is it only for one oversize attachment, and not oversize messages with too many attachments?

It doesn't matter, it's still too big and exceeds the maximum size limit for that server.

The solution stays the same as mentioned above.

Are you sure you're using an "iCloud" email account server for sending…???:
iCloud: Add an attachment to an email
You can attach one or more files to a message when you use Mail on iCloud.com.

If you want to attach files that are too large to send in email, you can use Mail Drop. It lets you upload attachments up to 5 GB and send a link or preview to your recipients
https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2629?locale=en_CA

polywog
Oct 26th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Reduce the size of the attachment(s) or use a server that accepts a message size of at least 30 MB.

That's the exact point of Mail Drop, so you don't have to reduce the size, is it not?

OP: Can you try doing the same thing through mail at iCloud.com?

Gene B
Oct 26th, 2017, 07:49 PM
I do have a 1TB Dropbox account, but I choose to try out the Mail Drop option that Mac Mail is offering.

I prefer to use Mac Mail instead of Webmail.

I’ve done some more searching on the Apple forums about Mail Drop problems, and have found that it has been problematic. Many of the posters that asked for solutions that would allow them to use Mail Drop, have gone unanswered. In fact, I posted my query this morning at 09:38, there's been 20 views, and no replies.

Anyway, this is what I’ve read so far.

Mail Drop Limits
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203093

How to Use Mail Drop to Send Large Files Over Email from Mac OS X
How to Use Mail Drop to Send Large Files Over Email from Mac OS X (http://osxdaily.com/2014/11/14/use-mail-drop-email-large-files-mac-os-x/)

Use Mail on your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204093

pm-r
Oct 26th, 2017, 08:53 PM
That's the exact point of Mail Drop, so you don't have to reduce the size, is it not?
… … …

Yup, but one has to follow the conditions to use it AFAIK.

And I believe it's an Apple only thing is it not??? 'Nuff said IMHO which means there are requirement limits and no guarantee that it actually works!!! As the OP seems to have discovered and even read about. :o

eMacMan
Oct 26th, 2017, 09:39 PM
The beauty of the dop box solution is that you are sending a link to the files not the files themselves.

One thought the linkshares will end with: dl=0 (that's a zero not a capital o)

Changing that part of the link to: raw=0 (again a zero)
will get rid of the pop-up box which tries to trick the recipient into signing on with DropBox. Also means you won't have to include an advisory to close that stupid box.

pm-r
Oct 26th, 2017, 11:14 PM
… … …
One thought the linkshares will end with: dl=0 (that's a zero not a capital o)

Changing that part of the link to: raw=0 (again a zero)
will get rid of the pop-up box which tries to trick the recipient into signing on with DropBox. Also means you won't have to include an advisory to close that stupid box.

Huh…??? :roll eyes:

Or am I really missing something that should be a bit more obvious…???

polywog
Oct 27th, 2017, 08:04 AM
Yup, but one has to follow the conditions to use it AFAIK.

And I believe it's an Apple only thing is it not??? 'Nuff said IMHO which means there are requirement limits and no guarantee that it actually works!!! As the OP seems to have discovered and even read about. :o

Not really, the link provided can be used by any recipient, if that's what you mean.

FWIW, I sent an 138MB attachment from my iPad to my work email address; Mail said "Too large ... use maildrop" which I did. The email i received had a download link (with an expiry date.)

I also attached two different 100MB+ files to an email and Mail Drop worked as expected.

Unfortunately I can't tell you if the link worked, because our work doesn't allow icloud.com (or dropbox, or any file sharing service) through the proxy. But it appears mail drop does work. I would have to experiment when I get home, because it's working as advertised on iPad.

As an aside, funny part is : The file(s) I wanted to send was in iCloud. In order to send it via mail, I had to download it locally to my iPad, presumably re-upload it for Mail drop. Seems silly to me.

pm-r
Oct 27th, 2017, 01:19 PM
As an aside, funny part is : The file(s) I wanted to send was in iCloud. In order to send it via mail, I had to download it locally to my iPad, presumably re-upload it for Mail drop. Seems silly to me.

That's just another failure of Apple's Mail Drop/iCloud methods compared to DropBox etc. I'd say.