: iPhone 6 Plus doesnít ring

winwintoo
Oct 21st, 2017, 11:34 AM
Since upgrading (?) to iOS 11 on my iPhone 6 Plus, it only rings if Iím holding it in my hand using some other function - in other words, unlocked.

I found this in the "do not disturb" panel in the settings app. What were they thinking? How can you have a phone that is always silent?

SINC
Oct 21st, 2017, 12:06 PM
I always have my phone on silent, but set my notifications, email and ringer to make sounds is likely why.

Also I set the DND to off for all but family, from 10 pm to 7 am. That way it makes no sounds at all when I am using it for games or whatever in the doc's office or the pub, etc. in the daytime, but it would ring for an emergency at night from a family member. ;)

winwintoo
Oct 21st, 2017, 12:12 PM
I always have my phone on silent, but set my notifications, email and ringer to make sounds is likely why.

Also I set the DND to off for all but family, from 10 pm to 7 am. That way it makes no sounds at all when I am using it for games or whatever in the doc's office or the pub, etc. in the daytime, but it would ring for an emergency at night from a family member. ;)

But I want my phone to ring! There seems to be no way to make it ring. There should be a "never silence" setting.

Please somebody tell me how to make it ring.

SINC
Oct 21st, 2017, 03:52 PM
Is the small switch on the upper left side of your phone perhaps pushed down and showing red? If so click it up to eliminate the red and your phone will ring.

robert
Oct 21st, 2017, 05:31 PM
that switch always seems to be the problem for me. people call and I don't hear it. So when I'm told, first thing is to check the switch. My case seems to occasionally knock it down. Wish the directions were reversed though as it is harder to accidentally flick it up. :-)

winwintoo
Oct 21st, 2017, 06:22 PM
I have also forgotten to flip the switch or didnít realize it was switched, but this is a new problem that only started with iOS 11.

Iím almost ready to go to the dark side.

:(:(

robert
Oct 21st, 2017, 06:29 PM
haven't gone to OS11 as all is fine as is.
However, I like the way everything Apple generally plays nice with each other.
I can't see introducing other companies into the mix as I want to spend the least amount of time configuring.
I just want it to works I can just do.
Sadly, Apple is becoming less and less pleasant to work with.
(either that or I'm becoming a grumpy old cuss-which could be true :-) )

SINC
Oct 22nd, 2017, 03:55 AM
Have you upgraded to iOS 11.3 since you upgraded to 11.0?

Only other thing I would try then is to restore the phone. The erase and restore treatment might just get rid of whatever bug is causing this. My 6S worked normally on iOS 11 before I bought my new iPhone 8 Plus.

polywog
Oct 23rd, 2017, 12:12 PM
Since upgrading (?) to iOS 11 on my iPhone 6 Plus, it only rings if Iím holding it in my hand using some other function - in other words, unlocked.

I found this in the "do not disturb" panel in the settings app. What were they thinking? How can you have a phone that is always silent?

That's only supposed to apply while Do Not Disturb is enabled. Something must be amiss. Maybe try toggling the do not disturb feature to see if it gets back to a good state.