: High Sierra and cloud compatibility issues

Moscool
Oct 16th, 2017, 04:34 AM
Just as a heads up Dropbox is having problems with running their service and iCloud in parallel under 10.13

A useful help page (https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/mac-osx-sierra-compatibility) but I would expect this to improve over the coming weeks.

Meanwhile Canadian competitor Sync.com keep replying to my support requests that they are still 'evaluating and testing' 10.13. I would expect an app update soon.

In addition to supporting new file formats as well as other under the hood changes (which I don't claim to understand), there may be issues with a mixed environment of HDs and SSDs synching to the same account (APFS not deployed on all machines).

For these reasons, as the cloud is now critical to my business, I'll wait until the big guns have sorted themselves out.

pm-r
Oct 16th, 2017, 02:42 PM
For these reasons, as the cloud is now critical to my business, I'll wait until the big guns have sorted themselves out.

Maybe if such things get fixed as they seem to do lately, it will hopefully be well before this time next year when the next macOS "upgrade" version is released and screws up things once again.

And BTW: Dropbox isn't the only app that's having problem with High Sierra. Maybe just another case and occurrence where Apple's macOS is the only one that's in step as it marches on!!! :-(

Edit and PS:
There's sure a difference between that report and the "Works Fine" shown here for Dropbox:
https://roaringapps.com/apps?index=a

TiltAgain
Oct 17th, 2017, 02:11 AM
Er... I do not seem to have issues with either Dropbox or iCloud on High Sierra. AND I am running both in parallel.

If you could give me some specifics re. weird behaviour I wouldn't mind testing it for you on my environment.

Cheers

Moscool
Oct 23rd, 2017, 01:35 PM
Er... I do not seem to have issues with either Dropbox or iCloud on High Sierra. AND I am running both in parallel.

If you could give me some specifics re. weird behaviour I wouldn't mind testing it for you on my environment.

Cheers

I'm not having issues with Dropbox myself: I migrated to Sync (business sub.) from there - cheaper, better encryption, Canadian servers... Their tech support still gives the impression that they are run from a shed somewhere in Northern Ontario but I like the product.

The Dropbox help page quoted above actually has examples. Maybe it's already sorted...

pm-r
Oct 23rd, 2017, 03:06 PM
Canadian servers... Their tech support still gives the impression that they are run from a shed somewhere in Northern Ontario but I like the product.

Aren't all Canadian servers run the same way, with maybe the exemption of those in Quebec which are given some special tax breaks and incentives??? :D

Moscool
Oct 23rd, 2017, 03:17 PM
Aren't all Canadian servers run the same way, with maybe the exemption of those in Quebec which are given some special tax breaks and incentives??? :D

Haha, it's not the servers it's tech support! :lmao:
(Hint, you get no reply at all over the weekend)

The Quebec servers have to be set up in French, the Federal ones are bilingual...