: Is my HD a doorstop?

Moscool
Oct 4th, 2017, 07:32 PM
This afternoon I removed a USB HD without ejecting. In the past you would have been crucified for this but I can't remember the last time I ejected a thumb drive...

So, the HD, a Seagate with Goflex adapter, will no longer mount. It does power up/spin and the control lights are flashing slowly but it is not seen by the system. I have tried 3 separate Goflex enclosures: 2 USB and one Lightning. Nada. I have also swapped cables and USB ports.

To be specific, the HD is not seen by Finder, Disk Utility or Terminal.

Anything else I could try?

John Clay
Oct 4th, 2017, 08:44 PM
DiskWarrior can likely fix that up, assuming the heads weren't moving when you unplugged it. If you did, and the heads crashed, all bets are off.

pm-r
Oct 4th, 2017, 11:11 PM
In my experience, it's not often or ever that DiskWarrior can do anything with a drive or volume that won't mount.

Just saying and not to have any hopes raised too far… but one never knows…

CubaMark
Oct 4th, 2017, 11:24 PM
+1 for DiskWarrior (https://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/). It's saved hard drives that I was sure were toast. Just used it a few days ago to rescue a pal's MacBook Pro... his kids knocked it off the table (no idea how the screen didn't shatter). I just pulled the drive, mounted it externally, let DW go to work and it was up and running again in less than an hour.

The company has also been very good about issuing updates over the years to patch the software for use with new versions of OS X. With High Sierra's move to a new disk format (AFPS), and ALSoft has a plan (https://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/highsierraapfs.html).

EDIT: pm-r is right to be cautious. If DW can't "see" it, then it's likely that it can't be fixed. You'll need to move to data recovery tools in that case (assuming you have not backup).

Moscool
Oct 5th, 2017, 04:53 AM
Thanks everybody. The data had been backed up elsewhere, so not the end of the world but this HD has had extremely low mileage. Kept it plugged into another Mac overnight: spinning and warm in the morning (i.e. it has been spinning all night) but still no luck. Part of of me says 'life's too short' and Disk Warrior is more expensive than a replacement drive! I'll keep digging in the background though. I welcome other ideas...

SINC
Oct 5th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Have ou tried running OnyX on it? Just on the off chance it might see the drive.

polywog
Oct 5th, 2017, 08:42 AM
ioreg -p IOUSB -w0 -l

and/or

system_profiler SPUSBDataType

might give you a bit of insight. I suspect you will see the Goflex adapter, but no drive. Then again you mentioned trying thunderbolt as well, so it may be for naught.

But at least you would be confirming the doorstop status :)

eMacMan
Oct 5th, 2017, 01:16 PM
If you do not own Disc Warrior, you might be better off just replacing the HD, provided that everything is backed up.

That said I used Disc Warrior to recover a HD that suffered a similar fate back in 2005. It is still going strong although it now sees little or no use. I did do a complete reformat after DW got it to mount and rebuilt the directory.

pm-r
Oct 5th, 2017, 01:37 PM
@Moscool

Have you tried a different and known good cable or even a different type cable connection if it provides any.

Many a time the cause of the problem is due to the cable or connection.

It does power up/spin and the control lights are flashing slowly but it is not seen by the system. I have tried 3 separate Goflex enclosures: 2 USB and one Lightning. Nada. I have also swapped cables and USB ports.

With that comment, as I re-read your post again, I'd agree with pollywog in that your Goflex adapter is goofy.

Not worth fiddling around with old priority storage IMHO and it sure wouldn't be the first such Seagate external I've seen go kaput!! And especially considering you have a working backup.

- Patrick
======

Moscool
Oct 6th, 2017, 05:18 AM
Tried everything suggested above and this is just an expensive lesson... RIP
Thanks to all for your help