: Files open using wrong apps

Macfury
Sep 29th, 2017, 01:01 PM
I have a problem with my computer opening files using oddball applications. For example, I have instructed the computer to open all images using Photoshop--it keeps forgetting this and reverts to Adobe Illustrator. All text files are opening in a computer script program, even though I repeatedly "GET INFO" and tell the computer which application to use, then tell it to apply that rule to all similar files. Also, the names of images downloaded from the Internet are edited so that "picture.jpg" becomes "picture" and is not recognized as an image. I've made sure that my security settings are not preventing applications from opening.

Any ideas?

eMacMan
Sep 29th, 2017, 05:31 PM
I have at least one Apple app that steadfastly insists on hiding the extension, even when I tell it otherwise when saving. Only solution so far is to do a get info after the file is created and deselect the hide extension box there. A royal pain!

CubaMark
Sep 29th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Have you tried this?

How to rebuild Launch Services Database in Sierra? (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7913794?start=0&tstart=0)

Macfury
Sep 30th, 2017, 11:26 PM
Thanks, CM--will try that.

eMacMan--forgot about "Hide Extension"!

Macfury
Oct 1st, 2017, 11:45 AM
ONYX has a feature to rebuild the Launch Services Database. Essentially, it wipes it out--but much better to start over and relearn what I need it to do. Thanks guys.

pm-r
Oct 1st, 2017, 07:21 PM
ONYX has a feature to rebuild the Launch Services Database.

That's helpful to know but any mac OS 10.13 High Sierra user might be out of luck as OnyX for macOS High Sierra 10.13 is not yet available as he says on his web page.

Don't know if the current available versions would work with High Sierra.

krs
Oct 6th, 2017, 02:29 PM
I have a problem with my computer opening files using oddball applications.

I just started to have a similar problem but on El Capitan 10.11.6
.jpg files open in Adobe Photoshop Elements rather than in Preview which was my default setting.
When I go into "Get Info" Preview doesn't even show up as a recommended application.

I can go and force the jpg files to open in preview but the next time I open a jpg image it opens inAdobe Photoshop Elements again.

The strange thing is that I have been on this Mac OS for quite a while, I bought and installed Adobe Photoshop Elements several months ago and never had this problem until a couple of days ago.

In general, I don't find El Capitan nearly as stable and well thought out as Snow Leopard which was the application I upgraded from.
There are many little annoying UI quirks that were not there on Snow Leopard.
Is 10.12 any better?

krs
Oct 14th, 2017, 08:49 PM
Did any of the suggestions above actually work?

This issue started for me running El Capitan a while back and it's most annoying.
But it seems to only happen on jpgs I downloaded from a camera.

jpgs from that camera worked fine until about a mont or so ago and other jpgs open in Preview fine.
Weird...

What is also weird that when I go to Get Info it shows the application as Adobe Photoshp Elements but the image in Get Info has Preview (default) shown just above it.

pm-r
Oct 14th, 2017, 11:28 PM
What is also weird that when I go to Get Info it shows the application as Adobe Photoshp Elements but the image in Get Info has Preview (default) shown just above it.

Can you post a partial screen shot of what is being shown??

krs
Oct 15th, 2017, 12:28 AM
Not sure if this helps any

pm-r
Oct 15th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Not sure if this helps any

It sure does, and saves a LOT of surplus typing… ;)

Your .jpg files are opening in PS Elements 'cause your user Get Info window says so.

Make the changes to use Preview and click the "change All" button. Done.

As per this:

krs
Oct 15th, 2017, 02:25 PM
pm-r....

Come on now....

I have been using Macs for many years now and know how to make the change you suggested.

I have done that at least a dozen times in this situation - for some reason it does not "stick"

I change all jpgs in Get Info to open in Preview - that works for a couple of jpgs and then it automatically switches back to Adobe Photoshop to open a jpg.
And then of course Photoshop shows in the drop down window.

That's also why I said I don't think attaching a screen shot will help any.

Two things that may shed some light on what is going on
1. I have been running El Capitan and Photoshop for months now, this issue was not there before, it just started about a week or two ago.
Haven't installed anything that could trigger this - I have also used that same Minolta camera for years, so nothing new there

2. When I look at the drop down menu i GetInfo, Preview is not listed as an app I can chose (It should be as far as I know).
I have to go to "Other" and then select Preview.

Like I said, I have changed the app to Preview in GetInfo at least a dozen times.
Then chose to apply that change to all jpg files.

It works for a short while, then when I double click on the jpg file it suddenly opens in Photoshop (and of course shows Photoshop in GetInfo.

PS: I'm going to try to track things a bit more to see if I can figure out why the app to open jpgs might chage

pm-r
Oct 15th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Like I said, I have changed the app to Preview in GetInfo at least a dozen times.
Then chose to apply that change to all jpg files.

I guess I missed noticing that.

Did I also miss reading that you at least ran Disk Utility to do any repairs or first aid on your files???

krs
Oct 15th, 2017, 04:38 PM
No, I had not run Disk Utility.

I did that just now and Disk Utility thinks everything is fine.

It came back saying the file system disk exit code is 0; I assume that means things are OK.

pm-r
Oct 15th, 2017, 05:26 PM
It came back saying the file system disk exit code is 0; I assume that means things are OK.

Yup, you're OK.

And as they say, google can be your info friend:
https://www.howtogeek.com/236978/how-to-repair-disk-and-file-system-problems-on-your-mac/

krs
Oct 15th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Yup, you're OK.

And as they say, google can be your info friend:
https://www.howtogeek.com/236978/how-to-repair-disk-and-file-system-problems-on-your-mac/

You know pm-r, I get more and more annoyed with Apple.

Why can't they just bring up a message that has some meaning without having to check via google.

In stead of stating file system exit code is 0, jut say the files system check appears to be OK, the same way they say at the end that the volume seems to be OK.
They can add (file system exit code is 0) if they really feel that is relevant.

Apple must have hired a bunch of designers or Product Managers that used to work on Windows. The OSs are becoming more colourful which I don't mind if they weren't full of annoying bugs as well.

Cleaning house I just found an old Baby iMac - it booted up on Tiger with no problems and reminds me how nice and clean the Mac used to be.
Sure, it lacks a lot of capability Macs have today, but the Mac UI has been getting worse and worse as time marches on.

pm-r
Oct 15th, 2017, 09:40 PM
You know pm-r, I get more and more annoyed with Apple.

Why can't they just bring up a message that has some meaning without having to check via google.

Hmmm… and odd I just hung up from a friend and we were both bitching about the same and similar complaints, maybe at my goading, but still a PITA and sloppy.

Sunday is my complete cleanup. update and backup day and I wasted over an our tying to figure out why an update that my iPad 2 App Store update said was available, but wouldn't download or install properly. So you sure won't get any argument of your comments from me, and I've been bitching about Apple's arrogance, sloppiness for several years and have suggested several times that maybe Jony Ive and his iOS and OS X software programming boys should just go out and play in their own sandbox and get some good decent Apple programmers back doing things as they should be done. Enough of their "New and Improved" crap!!

- Patrick
======

pm-r
Oct 16th, 2017, 03:23 PM
The OSs are becoming more colourful which I don't mind if they weren't full of annoying bugs as well.

And it's likely to get worse if articles like this are accurate:
Apple is about to do something their programmers definitely don’t want.
Apple spent $5 billion on a beautiful new office, Apple Park. So it’s amazing they’re about to make an extremely costly, avoidable mistake: putting their coders in an open-plan layout.
https://medium.com/make-better-software/apple-is-about-to-do-something-their-programmers-definitely-dont-want-fc19f5f4487

PS: But I thought Jony Ive built a special place for himself and his software buddies outside the round spaceship office area.

- Patrick
======

krs
Oct 16th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Back on Topic.

I'm now pretty sure my problem relates to the images from the Minolta camera.

I just took some more pictures, downloaded those to the Mac and when I tried to open them with a double-click they took longer than when I normally open images with preview.
So I quickly checked using "Open with" and Adobe Photoshop shows as the default application.

So somehow the way the picture is stored on the SD card seems to change the default app.

What is strange is that I have used this camera with the same SD card for years now, I still have pictures on that SD card from years ago, and this problem only started a few weeks ago - maybe a month by now.

For what it's worth...
The SD card is 2 GB, formatted as MS-DOS (FAT16)

Macfury
Oct 24th, 2017, 10:57 AM
None of the fixes stick. For a few days text files open in my choice of program, then revert to ExtendScrip Toolkit. Images I want to open in Photoshop revert to opening in Illustrator. Downloaded images lose their "jpg" extension and refuse to pen unless I manually add the extension.

krs
Oct 24th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Which OS are you running?

I never had this problem with 10.6.8; now with 10.11.6 I have this problem but only with images and Preview it seems

One thing I find strange that if I go to GetInfo and check the drop down menu when the app is changed to Adobe Photoshop, Preview is not on the dropdown list for some reason.
So it's almost as if the Mac can't find the default Preview application and therefore just picks the first app that can open image files which happens to be Adobe Photoshop.
I think if I can figure out why Preview is not on the GetInfo drop down list and if I can get it back on the list, it might solve my problem.

Macfury
Oct 24th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Running El Capitan. The standard apps are likewise not on the preview list. I put Photoshop and Preview back on the list of preferred apps and removed ExtendScript Toolkit and Illustrator. A few days later, the preview icons for the files switch back to those programs, and all of my preferred apps are off the list.

krs
Oct 24th, 2017, 01:04 PM
I wonder if anyone running a later OS has those problems.

I thougt ElCapitan was a good, stable OS but I have a lot of problems with it - not just this issue.

pm-r
Oct 24th, 2017, 01:32 PM
One thing I find strange that if I go to GetInfo and check the drop down menu when the app is changed to Adobe Photoshop, Preview is not on the dropdown list for some reason.

Maybe have a read and try some of the suggestions listed for:
Question 24: Finder won’t Open and Want to Make Changes
https://www.imobie.com/support/mac-os-x-probelms-and-solutions.htm

Especially suggestion #1:
1. For Finder wants to make changes, this would be a permissions issue. Gather the files into one big folder. Then, right-click on that folder and pick "get info"In the info window, open the little padlock underneath "sharing and permissions" Make sure that next to your name the permission says "read and write" lastly, click the little gear-icon and choose "apply to enclosed item" Confirm the dialog and you're done.

Also, try booting into safe mode, then restarting using the normal boot mode.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Doing so can delete many old cache etc. type files that may be causing some conflicts or problems.

Macfury
Oct 25th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Man, I have tried every trick in the book. A few minutes after getting my text files to open in the proper program, it reverted again to opening with ExtendScript Toolkit. The files even have the proper icons, indicating that the computer know what they are on some level.

polywog
Oct 25th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Curious what your com.apple.LaunchServices.plist looks like, how many there are and if it/they have proper permissions? You might try renaming it and doing a reboot if you haven't already tried?

pm-r
Oct 25th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Man, I have tried every trick in the book.

I didn't notice if you had done any SMC and/or PRAM (nvidea) Resets??

krs
Oct 25th, 2017, 05:22 PM
Seems to me rebuilding this database makes the most sense:

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/rebuild-launchservices-fix-duplicate-entries-os-xs-open-menu/

Macfury
Nov 5th, 2017, 01:38 AM
Curious what your com.apple.LaunchServices.plist looks like, how many there are and if it/they have proper permissions? You might try renaming it and doing a reboot if you haven't already tried?

Thanks. I deleted that file and rebooted. So far so good.

I discovered two things:

1. All of the invasive apps were Adobe. ExtendScript Toolkit is a program bundled with Photoshop, which was "nominated" to open all text files. Adobe Illustrator became the default for all image files. It's an Adobe problem, at least on my computer.

2. Downloading image files and having the ".jpg" extension disappear from the name is a Firefox glitch in recent builds and has nothing to do with OS X. Confirmed that they are working on it. Safari and Chrome are fine.

krs
Nov 6th, 2017, 10:37 PM
1. All of the invasive apps were Adobe. ExtendScript Toolkit is a program bundled with Photoshop, which was "nominated" to open all text files. Adobe Illustrator became the default for all image files. It's an Adobe problem, at least on my computer..

Same here -

But the thing I found strange is that Preview, which is my default for images, was not even on the dropdown list in Get Info.

pm-r
Nov 7th, 2017, 12:21 AM
Same here -

But the thing I found strange is that Preview, which is my default for images, was not even on the dropdown list in Get Info.

That's odd and assuming the files you tried had the compatible extension name and weren't corrupt.

Did you ever try selecting Other at the bottom of the Get Info list and select Preview?

Could Preview open the files using Drag&Drop?

And maybe your com.apple.preview.plist was corrupt and needed replacing.

Just some random thoughts… ;-)

Macfury
Nov 7th, 2017, 02:21 AM
Same here -

Same here. Preview keeps dropping off to be replaced as the default by Adobe Illustrator, a program I never use. Every effort to:
* trash the launch plist,
* rebuild with Onyx,
* to use terminal commands to rebuild the launch service,
* To use OPEN WITH commands,

will work for a couple of hours. Quickly it reverts to the same routine: text files opened by ExtendScript Toolkit and images with Adobe Illustrator. The defaults I selected are removed from the launch list.

krs
Nov 7th, 2017, 11:33 AM
That's odd and assuming the files you tried had the compatible extension name and weren't corrupt.

Did you ever try selecting Other at the bottom of the Get Info list and select Preview?

That's what I have to do to each time make Preview the default again

Could Preview open the files using Drag&Drop?

Don't know - never tried that

And maybe your com.apple.preview.plist was corrupt and needed replacing.

I doubt that.

The whole problem started when I installed Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Maybe I should just uninstall it and see what happens.
Or is there some way to disable an application?

Hmmm... I suppose I can put Photoshop Elements in the trash and not empty the trash to see what happens.

pm-r
Nov 7th, 2017, 12:43 PM
… … …
I doubt that.

That would be very typical of a goofy or corrupt .plist file — not doing something so basic that it should do.

It's easy enough to create a new one to try, but not 100% of the Preview's .plist name for your OS X version.

Or try doing the same thing of opening some Preview compatible graphics when logged in as a new "tester" user. Do things work properly then???

Compress it and trash the original is one way.

- Patrick
======

Macfury
Nov 8th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Drag and drop still works fine on my system.

Don't know - never tried that

I doubt that.

The whole problem started when I installed Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Maybe I should just uninstall it and see what happens.

Hmmm... I suppose I can put Photoshop Elements in the trash and not empty the trash to see what happens.

krs
Nov 8th, 2017, 02:32 PM
The problem hasn't come back yet, jpgs still open in Preview when I double-click on them.

Once that changes I'll try the drag & drop as well as "open with"

pm-r
Nov 8th, 2017, 05:56 PM
The problem hasn't come back yet, jpgs still open in Preview when I double-click on them.

Once that changes I'll try the drag & drop as well as "open with"

Just curious as to why you'd expect what seems to be now working properly now, to change to something that doesn't in the future…??? :confused:

krs
Nov 8th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Just curious as to why you'd expect what seems to be now working properly now, to change to something that doesn't in the future…??? :confused:

Because this has happened several times before.

jpgs open fine in Preview for several days and then suddenly they don't.
Then the Adobe app is launched automatically to open the image.

It's as if Preview somehow disappears and the Mac then finds the first application in alphabetical order to open the image.
I initially thought the trigger point for this to happen was an image from my Minolta camera, but I don't think that is true.
So I'm still trying to figure out what actually causes the problem.

I have done absolutely nothing to fix this issue or to make it go away.

pm-r
Nov 8th, 2017, 07:45 PM
So I'm still trying to figure out what actually causes the problem.

I have done absolutely nothing to fix this issue or to make it go away

Strange, but a good time to update your backup clone while it's working I'd say.

BTW: If it does go goofy again, I came across this oldie that may work and help, especially the part on Removing Default File Associations:
And especially this using:
Preference Pane Extension called RCDefaultApp.
https://www.guidingtech.com/20779/set-remove-default-file-associations-mac/

Just a thought for just in case…

- Patrick
======

krs
Apr 8th, 2018, 06:07 PM
Has anyone ever figured out how to fix that problem once and for all?

I have gone through every suggestion both here and what was suggested in the various Apple etc. discussion groups but nothing works permanently.

For me the problem just came back in spades - it still seems to be much worse when it comes to opening jpg immages I just downloaded from a Minolta camera.
Except I have had that camera for many years, well before I moved to El Capitan and I don't remember having that problem ever before.

Drag & Drop works for me as well but double-clicking on the file often uses the wrong application.

What I noticed is if I then go into "Get Info" for that file, Preview is actually not shown in the dropdown, I have to go to "Other" to associate Preview with all jpg files.
So it seems the Mac looks for Preview to open the jpg, can't find it and then uses the next best application that will open that file which happens to be Photoshop Elements for me

pm-r
Apr 8th, 2018, 08:17 PM
What I noticed is if I then go into "Get Info" for that file, Preview is actually not shown in the dropdown, I have to go to "Other" to associate Preview with all jpg files.
So it seems the Mac looks for Preview to open the jpg, can't find it and then uses the next best application that will open that file which happens to be Photoshop Elements for me

Preview.app would normally be the default app to open .jpeg files.
Are you saying that Preview is not even listed as a option?
I assume it is installed in your Applications folder??

Are the files you are dealing with actually .jpg or .jpeg extension files??

Are you selecting the "Change All…" in the Get Info window when you have the option you want selected?

It sounds to be like you should also at least boot up using your Recoverry HD and run Disk Utility First Aid or Repair. Press and hold the command+R keys at boot or restart and it may do some maintenance repairs.

- Patrick
======

krs
Apr 8th, 2018, 10:05 PM
Preview.app would normally be the default app to open .jpeg files.
Are you saying that Preview is not even listed as a option?
I assume it is installed in your Applications folder??

When I have the problem, click on the image and open "Get Info" I see Photoshop Elements as the application that opened the file (which it did unexpectantly) but when I click on that drop down menu in "Get Info) I get a set of oher applications I can chose that will open jpeg files but Preview is not on that list.
I have to all the way down on that drop down, select "Other" which brings up my Application folder and select Preview in that folder.
That is actually exactly what people are reporting in various other forums when I google for this problem

Are the files you are dealing with actually .jpg or .jpeg extension files??

Yes - The extension shown is .JPG and under Kind it says JPEG image.
JPG and JPEG both all capitals - if I glance throug my folders with jpg images, the extension is almost always in lower case but as kind it shows JPEG image

Are you selecting the "Change All…" in the Get Info window when you have the option you want selected?

Yes, I certainly do - everytime.

It sounds to be like you should also at least boot up using your Recoverry HD and run Disk Utility First Aid or Repair. Press and hold the command+R keys at boot or restart and it may do some maintenance repairs.

I have done both of that already several times.

There was a suggestion on the net to use Terminal with some short command and also to use Onyx.
People who tried that reported back that it did not fix the problem so I didn't even bother going that route.

pm-r
Apr 8th, 2018, 11:22 PM
Yes, I certainly do - everytime.

OK, maybe try another route and see if it will update the applicable .plist file:
Do the same Get Info /change All… steps, but choose an Application you don't want to use, test it if you like, then do it all over again but select the app you do want to use and do the Select All.. thing again.

If it survives a restart you may be OK.

If not, download an old utility that seems to still work, RCDefaultApp.

You can get it here:
Rubicode - RCDefaultApp (http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/)
or here and read some user comments:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14618/rcdefaultapp

If apple can't fix the problem, then maybe an old utility can!!! :o

PS: It seems odd that it's not a general mac user problem so I'd guess that something else is mucking things up.
We don't have the same problem on two Macs running El Cap'n.

- Patrick
======

krs
Apr 8th, 2018, 11:52 PM
Yes - there is something in my set up (and some others) that creates this problem.

I think the best thing to do right now is to just keep a track whenever this happens and maybe find some pattern.
Part of the problem is that I can't reproduce the problem at will.
I just know when it is about to hasppen when the jpg file doesn't open right away - at that point Photoshop Elements is launched and it takes a few seconds.
If the jpg opens with Preview the file opens immediately.

krs
Apr 11th, 2018, 10:22 PM
Well, after keeping a close eye on things it seems the pictures from the camera and Photos create the issue.
Never had that issue with iphoto when I was running Snow Leopard and was using the same camera.

What happens -
Camera is an old Minolta Dimage X50 - I love it because of its small size, no lens poking out like the new ones and the 5 Meg resolution suits me just fine
Camera records on a regular sized SD card.
I load the pictures to the Mac eiher with an SD to USB adapter, or via the SD slot on my Epson printer or via the SD slot on the Mini
Results are all the same
The SD card shows up on the desktop as a folder and at the same time Photo launches and displays the pictures on the SD card.
I always close the Photo add since I don't use it and open up the SD folder which shows the photos as jpgs with sequention numbering and the date.
If I drag the jpg file of a photo from that folder to the Preview app in the dock, the photo will open in Preview.
But when I just double-click on that jpg, either in the SD folder or in a folder where I have moved tat jpg, the jpg opens in Photoshop elements after that application launches.
I use Photoshop Elements only for very specific image manipulation so it's not in my dock and not active.
And once that jpg causes PhotoshopElements to launch, the existing association of jpgs with Preview is replaced by the association with PhotoElements for all jpgs.

The question now is how to fix that - I cheked preferences in Photos, doesn't seem as if one can turn off Photos from launching
Checked with google - oh no - the option to prevent Photos from automatically launching is a terminal command

Ah, the found another way, but one has to insert the SD card to access the option to turn off the autolaunch of Photos
How to stop Photos from launching when connecting a device to your Mac (http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/12/28/how-to-stop-photos-mac-auto-launch/)

Well, I'm going to do that to see if it changes anything as far as opening jpgs from the camara with a double-click

CubaMark
Apr 11th, 2018, 11:08 PM
If I drag the jpg file of a photo from that folder to the Preview app in the dock, the photo will open in Preview.
But when I just double-click on that jpg, either in the SD folder or in a folder where I have moved tat jpg, the jpg opens in Photoshop elements after that application launches.

This may be where the issue is being created.

If you drag a photo out of the SD card onto the desktop, and then double-click it, in what app does it open?

I wonder if by double-clicking on the SD card, there may be no .DS_Store (and invisible preference file saved into every folder in OS X) to tell the Finder in which app to open the file.

You might benefit from using this app on that SD card at some point: DotCleaner (https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dotcleaner-ds-store-remover/id1113480556?mt=12)

pm-r
Apr 11th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Well, I'm going to do that to see if it changes anything as far as opening jpgs from the camara with a double-click

Well, there seems to be a user with the same problem, but I must admit that their solution sure doesn't make much sense to me:
Preview will not stay as default viewer for jpg or pdf files
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8242632

And here's another to checkout:
Resolved something keeps changing my "open with" defaults
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/something-keeps-changing-my-open-with-defaults.2103071/

I was also going to suggest trying using the Image Capture.app to select and move the files from the SD card to a new pre-named folder and see if your default app to open the jpg files works on those files as you expect they should.

PS: When was the last time you ran Disk Utility to fix/repair all your Mac's and User's files?

- Patrick
======

krs
Apr 12th, 2018, 12:17 AM
This may be where the issue is being created.

If you drag a photo out of the SD card onto the desktop, and then double-click it, in what app does it open?

I tried that earlier this afternoon because I thought it would make a difference, but the jpg still opens in Photoshop

eMacMan
Apr 12th, 2018, 12:21 AM
I wonder if using ImageCapture to down load your images instead of drag and drop would solve the issue. That way you can put them wherever you like. I can see not wanting to use Photos to download as then you are pretty much at the mercy of the Apple file hierarchy.

krs
Apr 12th, 2018, 12:31 AM
Well, there seems to be a user with the same problem, but I must admit that their solution sure doesn't make much sense to me:
Preview will not stay as default viewer for jpg or pdf files
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8242632

And here's another to checkout:
Resolved something keeps changing my "open with" defaults
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/something-keeps-changing-my-open-with-defaults.2103071/

I was also going to suggest trying using the Image Capture.app to select and move the files from the SD card to a new pre-named folder and see if your default app to open the jpg files works on those files as you expect they should.

PS: When was the last time you ran Disk Utility to fix/repair all your Mac's and User's files?

The links you provided seem to be similar issues but not the same I have.

I turned off Photo opening automatically.

That did two things
1. When I insert the SD card from the camera it now shows up instantly on the desktop - before it would take several seconds
2. The jpg files so far always open with Preview, either when I double click on the file inside the SD folder or if I move the jpg to the desktop and double-click on it.

Somehow the Photo was creating this problem since I never had it when iphoto was the standard Mac photo app.

krs
Apr 12th, 2018, 12:46 AM
I wonder if using ImageCapture to down load your images instead of drag and drop would solve the issue. That way you can put them wherever you like.

How do you even use image capture for that?

When I have the camera SD card plugged into the Mac, the folder shows up on the desk top but when I then launch Image Capture, it doesn't see it.
This camera has a tiny A/V out connector on it, but I have never used it - it might need a special cable.
In any case, turning off Photo automatic launching seems to have solved my problem with jpgs taken with that camera, however I also have aproblem saving pictures from my Galaxy cell phone to the Mac.
I tried via a USB cable and using Kies, the recommended app - it just doesnot work.
So my workaround is to take the microSD card out of the Galaxy and read it directly via a USB reader. That works fine but it's a pain to have to undo the cellphone case and then the back.
I wonder if Image Capture might be able to download the photos - never tried that; don' have the Galaxy here but I will try that on the weekend.

pm-r
Apr 12th, 2018, 12:49 AM
That did two things

Does this mean that that fixed your problem completely and now things are working as expected and how they should???

- Patrick
======

krs
Apr 12th, 2018, 12:58 AM
Yes, so far.

I hope the problem doesn't come back, but I did a littlebit of testing tonight and Preview always opened the jpgs regardless where they were.
I have some more pictures to take with this camera to see if anyhing changes - should know in a week or so.
But right now I believe turning off Photo's autolaunch seems to have done the trick - I don't really understand why or how.

pm-r
Apr 12th, 2018, 02:33 PM
I wonder if Image Capture might be able to download the photos - never tried that;

Have a look at some of the hits from here:
Mac using "image capture"
https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Mac+using+%22image+capture%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=Y5bPWrnpIsHM8gf2jJKoCg

But right now I believe turning off Photo's autolaunch seems to have done the trick - I don't really understand why or how.
Let's hope so, and also survive any restarts.
It no doubt had higher priority than what your OS provides you as a user, and Adobe's apps seem to have a habit of doing things like that. :(

Maybe one of the reasons some call it "arrogant adobe"!!! It just does things its way!!
Actually it's amazing that it actually provided an option to disable the "feature"!

Let's hope it sticks and stays the way you want.

- Patrick
======

krs
Apr 13th, 2018, 12:16 AM
Well, turns out I spoke a bit too soon.

jpgs I downloaded from the camera keep opening in Preview the way they should.
I took a dozen pictures today and they were all fine.

But I just opened a jpg that I downloaded from a forum yesterday and.....
It took a while to load so I knew I was in trouble, then I saw the "kind" column of the folder that image was in change to "Adobe Photoshop Elements JPEG file" all the way down for all the jpgs and eventually Photoshop Elements launched and displayed the picture.

Not only that !!!!
the "kind" of all pdf files changed to Adobe PDF Document with Adobe Reader as default if I select "Open with"
the "kind" of all TIFF files changed to NSTIFFPboardType (whatever that is)

Somehow I think when I bought Photoshop Elements and installed that, tat may have been the beginning of my problems.

pm-r
Apr 13th, 2018, 12:58 PM
the "kind" of all pdf files changed to Adobe PDF Document with Adobe Reader as default if I select "Open with"
the "kind" of all TIFF files changed to NSTIFFPboardType (whatever that is)

Sure some strange things happening on that Mac of yours and you'll have to go checking regarding that NSTIFFPboardType file:
https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Mac+NSTIFFPboardType&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=8NDQWrq1LvDs8weun5iwBg

You might want to try running Onyx.app at its default settings but make sure you use the one for the OS X version you're running. Also run Disk Utility and you may want to do so when booted from your Recovery HD partition.

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

- Patrick
======

krs
Apr 13th, 2018, 01:46 PM
I actually think what is happening is supposed to happen.
I remember people were having problems with downloaded files uusing the new version of Firefox, te thing they call Quantum.
Just didn't pay attention when I read that so now of course I can't find that reference.
The TIFF files now open with grab - that's the applicatin I used that gave me all the TIFF files I just looked at.

I have run disk utility seveal times in the last few weeks - always while booted up from a clone.
It always comes back saying everything is fine.

Haven't tried Onyx - I'm going to make a back up before I run that.

But other than this issue and some other specific El Capitan issues (like no more support to read old floppies on an extenal floppy drive), I'm not having any issues with this Mac.

pm-r
Apr 13th, 2018, 02:36 PM
But other than this issue and some other specific El Capitan issues (like no more support to read old floppies on an external floppy drive),

Shouldn't be a too much of a problem with the right gear, oh right, and an earlier OS X version: :D
Accessing floppy drives when your Mac runs on OS X El Capitan
MacValley | The MacValley blog: Accessing floppy drives when your Mac runs on OS X El Capitan (http://macvalley.blogspot.ca/2016/05/accessing-floppy-drives-when-your-mac.html)

Of course only an Apple SuperDrive can access the old original apple floppies.

Haven't tried Onyx - I'm going to make a back up before I run that.
Always a very wise idea and good practice!!! ;)

- Patrick
======

krs
Apr 13th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Shouldn't be a too much of a problem with the right gear, oh right, and an earlier OS X version: :D
Accessing floppy drives when your Mac runs on OS X El Capitan
MacValley | The MacValley blog: Accessing floppy drives when your Mac runs on OS X El Capitan (http://macvalley.blogspot.ca/2016/05/accessing-floppy-drives-when-your-mac.html)

Thanks Patrick, I knew of all these options the guy listed.

It's just annoying that Apple makes these not exactly trivial changes and doesn't tell one about them when one upgrades to an OS that is missing some major backwards compatibility.
My main Mac came with 10.7, I ecided to upgrade to 10.11 and also move all the other Mac in the family to 10.11 to make the support easier.
I could just as well moved to 10.10 instead and not have this additional headache now.
But at the time 10.11 seemed pretty stable and Sierra was still "flaky"

I realize floppies went out a long time ago - I just fond a batch that I want to check.
Maybe they hve deteriorated so much tey can't even be read, but maybe there is some info on there I still need.

In any case, I have a floppy USB drive, made a USB install disk of 10.9 and 10.10 so I should be all set when I get back home this weekend and use them.
I was actually debating just a couple of weeks ago if I should overwrite these USB flash drives and use them for temporary storage, but now there seems to be a good use for them.

pm-r
Apr 13th, 2018, 05:46 PM
In any case, I have a floppy USB drive, made a USB install disk of 10.9 and 10.10 so I should be all set when I get back home this weekend and use them.

Ahem…there's no way in hell that either OS X 10.9 or 10.10 could be installed on a floppy disk!!! :o

BTW: I think they call all these changes something they seem to like to call "progress" and the bottom line reason for it is a thing called "money" and "profit". :D

And Apple Inc seems to be managing quite well in that reaspect I'd say eh???

- Patrick
======

krs
Apr 13th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Well, this is interesting...

I selected "Get Info" for the jpg I had downloaded with Firefox
It showed as kind "Adobe Photoshop Elements JPEG file" as expected (under General), but towards the bottom under "Open With" it showed Preview (Default).
I would have expected "Adobe Photoshop Elements" there.
Change All was dimmed out
I then clicked on the "Preview (Default)" dropdown, that made Change All active and I clicked on that to get Preview back as the default application for jpg.
The folder where these files were was open and I could see the "kind" column change from "Adobe Photoshop Elements JPEG file" to just "JPEG Image" all the way down, but get this - the tiff files changed to "TIFF Image" and the pdf files changed to "PDF Document" at the same time.
Double clicking on a tiff file just to test did open that file in Preview.
I had opened that tif file just a short while ago before this latest change and at that time it opened in 'grab'

Is there any way to sort of "park" Photoshop Elements somewhere on the Max so it's not considered an application?
I want to test if it's really that application that causes the problems.
I don't really want to uninstall it competely because I ran some updates of Photshop Elements just last night which seem to take forever.
If I uninstall and ten reinstall when I need a Photoshop feature, I would have to go through that update all over again.

krs
Apr 13th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Patrick,

I don't understand your comment...
I said I have a floppy USB drive - ie a floppy drive with a USB 2.0 cable that plugs into a USB port
and I have a USB install disk of 10.10 - ie a USB flash drive with a Mac 10.10 installer on it.

I guess "install disk" was a poor choice of words.

I made these USB flash installers when I wan't sure if every Mac we had in the family could actually upgrade to OS 10.11 and I didn't want to have download the OS several times for each Mac

pm-r
Apr 13th, 2018, 07:01 PM
I don't understand your comment...

Don't worry krs, it was just a bad joke about installing an OS X installer on an actual floppy disk.

That's a good idea to keep a Mac OS X installer on a flash drive.

- Patrick
======