: Thoughts on the ipad pro 9.7"

ciaochiao
Sep 27th, 2017, 01:48 AM
Hi Everyone:
I was just wondering what your thought are about the ipad pro 9.7"? I'm considering purchasing one for mainly recreational use but wanted to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance, for your input!

Regards,
Ciaochiao

polywog
Sep 27th, 2017, 05:21 AM
If it's for recreational use, and you don't need the pencil, I think the new iPads (not pro) are similar spec wise to the 9.7" pro but cheaper.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

robert
Sep 27th, 2017, 07:46 AM
agreed, only reason to get a pro would be the pencil.

Now, the giant leap forward in the new pros will probably make older models obsolete faster in the future. IMHO anyway.

But for recreational use, we use iPad air, iPad mini 2 and even an iPad 2 here

ciaochiao
Sep 27th, 2017, 07:49 PM
That's sort of my fear, that this 1st Gen pro will be obsolete in no time at all. And yes, the pencil feature is attractive to me but not necessary.

Thanks for your thoughts. Frankly, I'm surprised that I didn't get a rave positive or negative review from someone who's using the pro.

Regards,
Cc

csonni
Sep 27th, 2017, 09:10 PM
I actually ordered the iPad Pro 10.5 and waiting for its arrival. It's overkill, but I like the future proofing for the time being. Having said that, my wife is still using her iPad 2 but it's starting to show it's age as apps are updated. There are some perks other than the Pencil option that the Pro has as an advantage, no?

ciaochiao
Sep 28th, 2017, 11:03 PM
Interesting thoughts. Can you please tell me what other perks you believe the Pro has over the others? And forgive me if I'm out of it but I thought the pro was only in 9.7 and 12" versions? I haven't had my system near me for almost a year as I've been in the hospital. And which apps show their age on the ipad 2? I was considering a refurb ipad 2 mini. Thanks for updating me.

Regards,
Cc

polywog
Sep 29th, 2017, 05:27 AM
That's sort of my fear, that this 1st Gen pro will be obsolete in no time at all. And yes, the pencil feature is attractive to me but not necessary.

Thanks for your thoughts. Frankly, I'm surprised that I didn't get a rave positive or negative review from someone who's using the pro.

Regards,
Cc

Don't get me wrong. I have the latest 12.9" Pro and I love it. I got it primarily for photo editing, though it has become a near permanent replacement for my Mac. My only caution in your case is that last years 9" Pro isn't leaps ahead of this year's iPad. The 10" on the other hand is probably worth it.

polywog
Sep 29th, 2017, 05:29 AM
I actually ordered the iPad Pro 10.5 and waiting for its arrival. It's overkill, but I like the future proofing for the time being. Having said that, my wife is still using her iPad 2 but it's starting to show it's age as apps are updated. There are some perks other than the Pencil option that the Pro has as an advantage, no?

The smart connector, though it's only for specific keyboards. The 10.5 is identical to the 12.9" in every way except the screen size. They're both monsters, crazy processors, 120Hz refresh, True tone etc. etc.

csonni
Sep 29th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Just got mine set up yesterday and am totally happy with it. I love the better screen refresh rate which makes any moves very fluid. Very snappy in every way. I may splurge for the Apple Pencil when the 2nd Gen comes out. Not sure if I’ll be using the connector any time soon.

robert
Sep 29th, 2017, 08:30 AM
this comparison chart at Apples site sums it up well.

https://www.apple.com/ca/ipad/compare/

The 10.5 pro, new as of this June, has better screen, refresh, processor and more ram. It is built for the future which I believe is to replace the MacBook air in the laptop lineup.

I tried one at best buy with the apple pencil, wow, it is all they say about the two. The pencil is expensive but it feels the most natural of all stylus I've used.

A lot of my older apps are not being updated and warnings pop up telling me such. Shame too as the kids like the old Hasboro games which were made apps by EA. Might just keep the ipad2 for those games. over 500 ships sunk in battleship and counting. :-)

polywog
Sep 29th, 2017, 09:30 AM
The 10.5 pro, new as of this June, has better screen, refresh, processor and more ram. It is built for the future which I believe is to replace the MacBook air in the laptop lineup.

I tried one at best buy with the apple pencil, wow, it is all they say about the two. The pencil is expensive but it feels the most natural of all stylus I've used.

I can see that happening. The only time I'm at my iMac is to stream airplay music, because iTunes for mac is the only thing that will do multiple speakers, and to rip CDs, for obvious reasons.

Airplay 2 sounds promising, but most of my devices don't yet support it, and at least one of them is old enough that I doubt it ever will.

ciaochiao
Sep 30th, 2017, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the link. My viewing option has been pretty slim: my Samsung S5. Our ipad mini 2 was stolen and I left the ipad 2 with my youngest since I was going to be in hospital. I didn't know I was going to be stuck here for almost 6 mos. So I've been pretty lax on visiting the full site. I just kept a tab open for the refurb page and refresh it from time to time. Your description makes the new pro very enticing. I think I'll go look at one when I finally escape this place, supposedly soon. I want to try the pencil for its many uses. I hope it's a decent circumference because I need a thicker 'stem' for my hands. How is it for photo editing? Graphics? And I wholly agree that they intend to 'turn' the pro inro the next 'laptop'. Their commercials for the 9.7 already suggested that. I'm curious though, why don't they offer the 12.9 in the rose gold color? I love it; my kid hates it but I'm buying so it's dealers choice! Thanks for your descriptions and info.
Regards,
Cc

Rps
Sep 30th, 2017, 11:40 AM
Hi CC, I bought my wife a 10.5 inch iPad Pro for her birthday. As far as iPads go it had great visuals. I also got her the pencil. We are learning the new ios11 which changes the feel of the thing a little. To be honest, I was looking at the 12 inch for myself but I keep thinking the value is in the MacBook Air. My belief, and that of others, is the Air is done....but it is a computer with USB ports....I keep thinking that for light computing, browsing, and such the Air is a better value.....although I think the future is the pro. That said, get what turns your crank....I know people who love the pros and wouldn’t have anything else....I also know those who say that an iPad is not a computer and has limited functions. So, my recommendation is list what you want it do to, find the software to do it and buy the most technology you can afford.

polywog
Sep 30th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Hi CC, I bought my wife a 10.5 inch iPad Pro for her birthday. As far as iPads go it had great visuals. I also got her the pencil. We are learning the new ios11 which changes the feel of the thing a little. To be honest, I was looking at the 12 inch for myself but I keep thinking the value is in the MacBook Air. My belief, and that of others, is the Air is done....but it is a computer with USB ports....I keep thinking that for light computing, browsing, and such the Air is a better value.....although I think the future is the pro. That said, get what turns your crank....I know people who love the pros and wouldn’t have anything else....I also know those who say that an iPad is not a computer and has limited functions. So, my recommendation is list what you want it do to, find the software to do it and buy the most technology you can afford.

The thing that steered me to the 12" was that you can have two equally sized windows side by side when multitasking. I thought about the air as well, but at the price point it was severely underpowered, and apps are so much cheaper for iPad. As you say though to each his own.

SINC
Oct 1st, 2017, 10:57 AM
I know people who love the pros and wouldn’t have anything else....I also know those who say that an iPad is not a computer and has limited functions.

This is so very true. There is no way I could produce my daily website with any version of an iPad and that will likely not happen until they make the iPad a computer. I wish they would as it would greatly reduce my cost of hardware, but they are so lacking in features I use daily that it is now impossible.

ciaochiao
Oct 6th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Yes, those absent USB ports plus the 'disallowance' of any HD expansion remain my 'pet peeve' aboUT any ipad model. I also understand that the speakers on the ipad pro are superb. I've not yet listened to themm Anyone else out there have any thougjts on this? And NO ONE has replied about the rose color only available on the smaller version of the IPP. I personally prefer the rose color but that's me.

dwp
Oct 9th, 2017, 05:25 PM
My wife just purchased the iPad Pro 9.7 to replace her iPad 2 and the difference is, as mentioned, night and day. Much lighter, faster, and better in every respect, but it's not a computer which is too bad so she'll have to hang on to her MBA awhile longer. But it's a great iPad and the the 256gb, Wi-Fi/LTE model for $820 seemed like a steal.

neojjjk
Oct 14th, 2017, 11:35 PM

Regards,
Cc

if pencil is not necessary then regular iPad is a nice choice .

polywog
Oct 15th, 2017, 10:55 AM
My wife just purchased the iPad Pro 9.7 to replace her iPad 2 and the difference is, as mentioned, night and day. Much lighter, faster, and better in every respect, but it's not a computer which is too bad so she'll have to hang on to her MBA awhile longer. But it's a great iPad and the the 256gb, Wi-Fi/LTE model for $820 seemed like a steal.

That's something I'm trying to wrap my head around. Personally, I found I used my "computer" far more often because my workflow dictated having a keyboard; I'm all shortcuts and Alfred on Mac. I feel that with a keyboard with the iPad Pro, I'm finding the distinction far more blurred because the keyboard shortcuts are available and fairly consistent.

I find the big hold back for me is there's no consistent Menu; various apps have various ways of doing the same thing.

That said, there are tasks I find far quicker on the iPad than the Mac. Really depends on personal workflows I think. And paying 1/10th for equivalent apps doesn't hurt!