: icloud keychain

sch
Sep 8th, 2017, 01:59 PM
I upgraded to Sierra on the mbp and was asked to enable icloud keychain. Is this worth doing?
We are not on twitter, facebook or linkedin - not sure if that matters re-security. We don't use icloud for anything either. We have an imac, mbp and ipad 2 mini and we mainly use firefox.

Thanks,

pm-r
Sep 8th, 2017, 02:52 PM
I upgraded to Sierra on the mbp and was asked to enable icloud keychain. Is this worth doing?

I'm not sure I understand what you might mean by your "Is this worth doing?" comment.

For some it may be easier and save some hassles IF and when it might work properly!!

Personally I don't want or need some other third party setup to look after my passwords and credit card numbers thanks plus an Internet connection.

Maybe read some hits with a web search and see if it would be of any real use to you and trust that it always works as well:
https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=icloud+keychain&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=ydWyWaDnKNDM8gfau5yAAw

or start here:
Everything you need to know about iCloud Keychain
https://www.imore.com/icloud-keychain

It's sure NOT something I would want or use!!
Two bits says you'll agree after you read some of the web hit articles NOT including any from Apple!! :(

- Patrick
======

sch
Sep 8th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Thanks,

I did read some info about it, in fact I was doing so when your response came in. I'll do some more research and decide whether we still need it. By "Is this worth doing?" I meant whether adding more complexity would give me better security. We don't use the cloud and I don't trust having more info out there than can be helped e.g Equifax breach. So far I'm leaning not to use it.

Sonny

pm-r
Sep 8th, 2017, 04:53 PM
I meant whether adding more complexity would give me better security. We don't use the cloud and I don't trust having more info out there than can be helped e.g Equifax breach. So far I'm leaning not to use it.

I think you just answered your own question and with a good sensible answer as well I'd say. :o

- Patrick
======

eMacMan
Sep 8th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Keychain along with FileVault are two apps that have proven to be problematic for Apple.

I would avoid Keychain altogether, and use FileVault only if keeping others from seeing my data was more important than the data itself.

pm-r
Sep 8th, 2017, 07:30 PM
I would avoid Keychain altogether, and use FileVault only if keeping others from seeing my data was more important than the data itself.

I sure wouldn't suggest using FileVault, especially for the average user. Waaayyy overkill and even then, there are lots of other less dangerous methods to protecting some personal data.