: What If?

eMacMan
Sep 6th, 2017, 11:23 PM
So the Texas floods and the fires much closer to home have me thinking what will we grab if we are forced to evacuate on short notice.

For the moment we are safe and the 2003 fire should provide a good fire break, but still...

For a start tomorrow I will gas up both vehicles, even though the prices are still set at the Labour Day gouge level. Then make sure we've got enough cash on hand to handle at least 2 weeks.

Absolute must is citizenship papers, IDs and financial stuff.

Photo Albums. HDs from the old MacPro and the MBP.

What else?

Dr.G.
Sep 7th, 2017, 07:05 AM
So the Texas floods and the fires much closer to home have me thinking what will we grab if we are forced to evacuate on short notice.

For the moment we are safe and the 2003 fire should provide a good fire break, but still...

For a start tomorrow I will gas up both vehicles, even though the prices are still set at the Labour Day gouge level. Then make sure we've got enough cash on hand to handle at least 2 weeks.

Absolute must is citizenship papers, IDs and financial stuff.

Photo Albums. HDs from the old MacPro and the MBP.

What else?

My four dogs.

18m2
Sep 7th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Also medication, clothes, meeting location away from work/home, contact phone numbers for family and friends.

FeXL
Sep 7th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Beer...

Macfury
Sep 7th, 2017, 01:54 PM
I'll grab Dr. G's dogs.

Dr.G.
Sep 7th, 2017, 03:10 PM
I'll grab Dr. G's dogs.

Merci, mon ami. I shall grab my meds, passports and help you carry them outside to safety.

eMacMan
Sep 7th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Birth Certificates, passports, insurance policies, and water.

I can get by with no food for several days, but if the local water is contaminated one is up 5#!t creek so to speak.

BReligion
Sep 8th, 2017, 12:31 AM
I can get by with no food for several days, but if the local water is contaminated one is up 5#!t creek so to speak.

If I remember right there was the survival rule of 3, once you passed a "3" you are in trouble.
3 minutes without air (oxygen)
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

BReligion

eMacMan
Sep 8th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Bit of deja vue. No water pressure due to broken water main. Should be fixed in a few hours. Meantime I do have a gallon or so in the freezer, and can drive a few miles to fill jugs if required.

Also a nice spring on a neighbours property if things get really tough.

BReligion
Sep 8th, 2017, 02:05 PM
As not pleasant as a thought as it is, you always a gallon of water or so in the tank on the back of a toilet that's considered "clean water" and whatever is currently sitting in a hot water tank as well.

BReligion

pm-r
Sep 8th, 2017, 02:33 PM
If I remember right there was the survival rule of 3, once you passed a "3" you are in trouble.
3 minutes without air (oxygen)
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

BReligion

And not to forget sleep… like avoid going without sleep for 20 to 25 + hours…
At 3 days without sleep, one is seriously starting to push one's limits…

At 36, 48, and 72 hours without sleep, your body and your mind begin operating in altered states that put your health, and your life, at risk.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/conditions/what-happens-when-you-dont-sleep-days/