: iTunes Media or Music folder?

Amina
Aug 31st, 2017, 04:18 PM
Why do I have two folders, one called iTunes Media and one called iTunes Music? Especially when there are "Music" folders in each of them?

It feels like somewhere along the way, Apple decided to change how it managed media, and created a new folder without deleting the old one.

The problem is, I don't know which folder is being used by iTunes, and they have slightly different contents, as the iTunes Media folder is a few GB larger than the iTunes Music folder.

I'm afraid to delete either one, despite the fact that they're probably largely duplicates of each other and taking up a lot of space on my HD.

Any thoughts?

gwillikers
Sep 1st, 2017, 12:36 AM
I have no folder named iTunes Media on my system. Just iTunes Music.

Compare the 2 folders contents, and merge the 2 into the iTunes Music folder. There are utilities (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/52543/compare-folders) that can make that easier.

Providing you back up your drive regularly, you have nothing to lose.

polywog
Sep 1st, 2017, 07:24 AM
How old is your library? I believe iTunes changed to use iTunes Media when the store started selling movies and TV shows.

In settings, advanced preferences, you will see the folder that iTunes is using.

You may want to explore the two options below that, Copy files to iTunes media and keep itunes media folder organized.

Amina
Sep 6th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Thanks to you both. @ploywog, I followed your instructions and you're correct, iTunes is using the iTunes Media folder. And to answer your other question, my media library is probably... 15 years old or so, over many generations of laptops.

@gwillikers, I'm downloading that utility now. We'll see how it goes!

polywog
Sep 6th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Thanks to you both. @ploywog, I followed your instructions and you're correct, iTunes is using the iTunes Media folder. And to answer your other question, my media library is probably... 15 years old or so, over many generations of laptops.

@gwillikers, I'm downloading that utility now. We'll see how it goes!

It may be old, but it also may still be referenced if iTunes hasn't been keeping your folders organized! Delete with caution.

Amina
Sep 6th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Well, I'm happy to say that I've had the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" box checked for the last few years at least, so I have a feeling things are mostly good. I bet anything that's missing won't really be "missed."

I copied the iTunes Music folder to an external hard drive so that it's there in case something regrettable results from deleting the original.

So far, no problems.

Thanks for your help!