: Using a WD my cloud drive as a time machine backup?

phuviano
Aug 29th, 2017, 03:25 AM
Hi, I'm currently interested in buying two western digital (WD) my cloud hard drives. I would like to have one, as my media drive (music/photos mainly). I would like to use the other as a time machine backup.

Now, I know i can use one of the drives as a time machine backup. However, I want to backup the media drive onto the time machine backup as well.

These drives are NAS drives, pretty much. Will this work? I want to know a head of time, because each drive is like $200+, so I don't want to waste $400+ dollars to find out, it doesn't work.

I currently use two usb drives. One usb for time machine, and the other for media. I can use my current usb time machine drive to backup my media drive. It works fine. Now just wondering if I convert both drives into WD my cloud drives, if the setup would work.

Thanks, Phu.

SINC
Aug 29th, 2017, 10:40 AM
I had the same issue for two other external drives I wanted to update, besides my Time Machine backup of my resident SSD in my MacBook Pro, a 1 TB HD.

I use TM to keep the resident drive updated once per day. There was no way I could run multiple TM versions that I could figure out. Instead I use Carbon Copy Cloner and run it once weekly on each of the other two drives, one for photographs and video and the other for music and movies. Although this works well, it does require some organization and time to complete the backups, about 15 minutes each including mount and unmount time.

Another separate external keeps a TM backup of my standby machine, a Mac Mini and is updated once a week by TM on the Mini itself.

pm-r
Aug 29th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Using a WD my cloud drive as a time machine backup?

Forget any thought of using Time Machine for such a purpose. At least if you want something reliable and fairly easy to look after.

Do yourself a favor and use Carbon Copy Cloner as also suggested by SINC.

But if you really want to check some options, do a web search such as this:
https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=using+time+machine+with+NAS+drives&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=E9GlWeL3C-vs8wfFyrmoBw

- Patrick
======

pm-r
Aug 29th, 2017, 11:57 PM
Just to add a comment and I know that many sites and manufacturers will say you can, here's a practical and recent article that reinforces my comments not to:

When backups go bad: The problem with using network drives with Time Machine
https://www.macworld.com/article/3170844/macs/when-backups-go-bad-the-problem-with-using-network-drives-with-time-machine.html

Your choice and your data. And other such sites have been saying similar cautions and advice not to attempt using Time Machine and NAS drives as a reliable backup solution. Or at least a useable workable one!!

- Patrick
======

phuviano
Aug 31st, 2017, 03:06 AM
Just to add a comment and I know that many sites and manufacturers will say you can, here's a practical and recent article that reinforces my comments not to:

When backups go bad: The problem with using network drives with Time Machine
https://www.macworld.com/article/3170844/macs/when-backups-go-bad-the-problem-with-using-network-drives-with-time-machine.html

Your choice and your data. And other such sites have been saying similar cautions and advice not to attempt using Time Machine and NAS drives as a reliable backup solution. Or at least a useable workable one!!

- Patrick
======

Thanks, I guess I may just look into one WD my cloud drive for the media, and use my existing usb drive for time machine.

I was just looking for something more convenient, since I picked up a 2016 MBP. With my previous mac mini, i know issues using usb external drives, since its a desktop computer. However, never knew that info about the sparseimage.

eMacMan
Aug 31st, 2017, 06:49 AM
I have never liked sparse images. They are OK for recovering a recently deleted file, and via time machine an older version of a file. However there is a price to be paid in reliability.

I use Super Duper for OS back-ups. I create non-compressed disk images as that way I can store several and go back more than one step if needed. Personal files reside on a second partition of the main drive, separate from the OS. These are backed once a month with a simple drag & drop to my secondary drive. Any critical files are backed as needed to a thumb drive.

This method requires a boot partition on the secondary drive used as the working drive when creating disk images of the main drive OS partition. The secondary also has a test partition to install and test disk-images after I create them. The third and largest partition contains the asr-disk-images and the data back-up.

This may seem a bit time consuming, but the advantage is I can completely restore the main OS in about 15 minutes should some update or another create unwanted hair loss. I have used this maybe half a dozen times over the past 15 years, once after replacing a failed HD. Most of the other times were mainly to undo iTunes improvements.<insert sarcasm emoticon here>

BReligion
Aug 31st, 2017, 02:06 PM
Here's my setup a the moment.. (I can't speak to WD my cloud, but was trying to do something similar)

I picked up a QNAP nas (TS-221), which still runs their latest Firmware/Apps.
I put in my two WD Red Nas Drives (one at a time) and migrated all of my media over to it from an old NAS (non QNAP). I may move my TimeMachine backup to it, but currently TimeMachine is just on a USB External plugged into my Mac Mini.

The nice thing with the QNAP is there is a USB port on the front and a "quick backup" button that I can program a job to (in BackupStation). I haven't set it up yet, but the "job" when said button is pushed will be to backup the NAS drives (currently 2x2TB RAID 1) to the 2TB external that I will plug into the USB slot. The backup job can be full/incremental etc.

Previously I used CCC to do incremental backups from the NAS to the external, but I am hoping this will be much faster as I am now taking my Mac out of the equation and no longer transferring the data from NAS <Ethernet> Mac <USB> External Drive.. just NAS to USB External.

As was also mentioned above, I do SuperDuper backups to clone the OS before any upgrades to another small 500GB external drive.

BReligion