: What is my mac worth?

dmpP
Jul 25th, 2017, 02:13 PM
I have a 2010 13" mbp with the 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB ram, and 500GB HDD (it was top of the line at the time).

Battery has just over 500 cycles.

Laptop hasn't been used much over the past 3 years - it was mine, then I got a new one and this became my wife's. She mostly uses mine.

It runs well. Installed Sierra on it.

I'll be wiping it before selling, just curious about what to ask for it.

There are some minor scratches on the aluminum part of the lid - thanks to my daughter!! argh...

John Clay
Jul 25th, 2017, 02:48 PM
$100, maybe.

We're just tossing those in recycling for clients at this point.

dmpP
Jul 25th, 2017, 03:08 PM
You're really just tossing them?

Wow... :eek:

John Clay
Jul 25th, 2017, 03:13 PM
You're really just tossing them?

Wow... :eek:

Yep. They're too slow to be useful running 10.11 or 10.12, especially with HDDs.

They're not worth the time/effort to modernize from a business perspective, so into the recycling/donation bin they go.

dmpP
Jul 25th, 2017, 03:19 PM
I'll come and get them from you then. Are you in the GTA?

Mine runs like butter - I have Sierra on it, and it runs just fine.

pm-r
Jul 25th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Yep. They're too slow to be useful running 10.11 or 10.12, especially with HDDs.

They're not worth the time/effort to modernize from a business perspective, so into the recycling/donation bin they go.

Or course that doesn't prevent the user for doing any updating if they're so inclined. ;)

And I don't know what ones actual description of "slow" actually is, but my older 2007 2.2GHz MBPro does quite well for normal stuff and running El Cap'n OS X 10.11.6, and yes it does have an SSD installed, and it's SATA bus is only 1.5Gbps.

But I'll bet there are still a lot of youngsters and low income families fairly close by that would probably enjoy receiving an older "slow" Mac, and as you say, they don't have much in the way of resale value.

And heck, even a replacement 7,200RPM 2.5" HDD can do wonders to speed things up for even less expenditure vs SSDs.

John Clay
Jul 25th, 2017, 03:35 PM
I'll come and get them from you then. Are you in the GTA?

Mine runs like butter - I have Sierra on it, and it runs just fine.

No can do. They're given to a recycler per policy, and HDDs are removed and shredded. They claim to refurbish and donate, and recycle what they can't, but that's out of my hands.

BReligion
Jul 25th, 2017, 05:00 PM
No can do. They're given to a recycler per policy, and HDDs are removed and shredded. They claim to refurbish and donate, and recycle what they can't, but that's out of my hands.

Doh! I was going to make a similar offer to come pick one up... haha I have my beloved 13" Mid 2010 that won't boot with a suspected bad logic board just sitting there collecting dust at the moment.

BReligion

dmpP
Aug 2nd, 2017, 11:20 PM
I would take one without a HDD... that's fine...

polywog
Aug 3rd, 2017, 07:41 AM
I would take one without a HDD... that's fine...

All you'll need is a sketchy van with a recycler logo on it. Back it up to shipping on the right day and you're in luck!

Kidding aside, you won't get a thing (on the up and up.) Where I work, there are only two ways an asset leaves the service of the company; recycling or warranty replacement. And in both cases, the drives are shredded before the unit leaves.

hexdiy
Aug 5th, 2017, 09:57 PM
How very strange. I'd like to get my hands on 1 of these MBPs too, seeing my youngest Mac is a 2008 model. Not everyone has a big purse...
I love Apple products, but have never been able to afford them.

Moreover, Mac2Sell quotes a value of 350 Canadian $ on the one the OP has for sale. They usually do exaggerate their estimates, but not grossly.

Mac2Sell - Argus, Evaluation, Guide to used Mac, iPad, iPhone & iPod (http://www.mac2sell.net)

Seeing Apple has recently ordered all defective Apple gear to be shredded, rather than recycled, spare parts for older Macs will be getting scarce.
So much for being environmentally conscientious, Apple, thank you!

And I bet these so called "recyclers" are not donating these Macs, but scavenging them for spare parts instead. Can't blame them, save for using false pretenses...

Mr. John Clay, if your company would care to ship Mac oldies & wrecks to Europe, to the likes of e.g. Macdemolition.com or TheBookyard.com, I bet it could make a buck and some.

MacDemolition (http://macdemolition.com)

The Bookyard - Apple Repair & Spare Parts In The UK (http://www.thebookyard.com)

Or just sell them to honest DIY lovers in your own beautiful country, please!
Anyhow, keep those Macs out of a landfill, even if Apple will not.

pm-r
Aug 5th, 2017, 11:35 PM
@hexdiy

Seeing Apple has recently ordered all defective Apple gear to be shredded, rather than recycled,

Just curious, but can you supply a reliable source to backup that statement…???

I'd like to read it.

That's almost the complete opposite of most of their recent information releases I've seen, but sure haven't seen or read them all. :o

EDIT:
It's OK, I just googled the question and got several hits:
https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Apple+has+recently+ordered+all+defective+Apple+g ear+to+be+shredded&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=koCGWY6kKvDe8AexlYGYCQ

Not quite what Tim has been saying and preaching at all it seems for his recycling emphasis does it??? :(

- Patrick
======

John Clay
Aug 6th, 2017, 01:21 PM
@hexdiy

Just curious, but can you supply a reliable source to backup that statement…???

I'd like to read it.

That's almost the complete opposite of most of their recent information releases I've seen, but sure haven't seen or read them all. :o

EDIT:
It's OK, I just googled the question and got several hits:
https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Apple+has+recently+ordered+all+defective+Apple+g ear+to+be+shredded&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=koCGWY6kKvDe8AexlYGYCQ

Not quite what Tim has been saying and preaching at all it seems for his recycling emphasis does it??? :(

- Patrick
======

Apple has already publicly stated they're moving towards a closed loop for products - they want to be making new products with the recycled components of old products.

That's not to say they're going to reuse old components - rather, they shred them and separate into the base materials, then recycle those materials where possible.

hexdiy
Aug 6th, 2017, 07:50 PM
... which leaves rare earth mining products out of the loop, because it is from very difficult to impossible to recycle them from shredded waste.

Rare earth minerals, exactly the stuf wars are being waged over.

Sorry, not trolling here, just disappointed...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RsZCCoUKrvc/maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, Apple, please do so once more. ASAP. High time.

Here's a project offering an environmentally ethical example:

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/

Yes they can, if they want to...

pm-r
Aug 6th, 2017, 08:35 PM
Yes they can, if they want to...

I've got another suggestion — and that's to just keep using products longer. And do we all really need and use all the "new & Improved" stuff.

My old Samsung flip phone is still working very well for my use and no need for any recycling — at least so far. And hey, it can even keep a good working charge for days and even weeks. :D