: Suggestions wanted for a new cd/dvd reader/writer

Macfriend
Jul 8th, 2017, 06:33 PM
Hi
I just bought a new (for me) Mac mini late 2014. These come without a cd/dvd reader/writer. What would be an external decent one that does not require two usb wires to be plugged in the mini? I mean fast enough while plugged into only one usb slot.

There is the Apple one, but apart from it, any suggestions?

pm-r
Jul 8th, 2017, 11:48 PM
As often mentioned, Google is your friend.

Just try searching on your subject title and maybe add 'Mac mini late 2014'.

IE: https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Suggestions+wanted+for+a+new+cd/dvd+reader/writer+Mac+mini+late+2014&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=RJhhWcnzMMHe8Afgh6LoAQ

Apple versions are way overpriced IMHO and are also restricted to work with ONLY those Macs that weren't shipped with an internal optical drive which can limit their usefulness.

eMacMan
Jul 9th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Look for one that uses an AC power supply. I suspect the reason most require dual USB cables is that a single USB connection does not provide sufficient current.

polywog
Jul 9th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Hi
I just bought a new (for me) Mac mini late 2014. These come without a cd/dvd reader/writer. What would be an external decent one that does not require two usb wires to be plugged in the mini? I mean fast enough while plugged into only one usb slot.

There is the Apple one, but apart from it, any suggestions?

How would it not be fast enough plugged into only one USB? USB2 has plenty of bandwidth for that application, unless it's underpowered. Like Macfriend said you probably need external power.

pm-r
Jul 9th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Look for one that uses an AC power supply. I suspect the reason most require dual USB cables is that a single USB connection does not provide sufficient current.

A good suggestion, especially if Apple has once again cheated on not even making all USB ports equal, or not even providing the USB power standard. I'm not sure if that mini is included and I think it at least has a useable port unlike some newer Mac products where yet another adapter is required!!!

But there are lots of single USB connection and fast optical drives that should work.

Just a very quick google search shows:
LG Ultra-Slim Portable DVD Burner & Drive with M-DISCâ„¢ Support | LG US (http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-SP80NB60-external-dvd-drive)
External Slimline CD/DVD Writer: Disc Drives & Burners - Accessories | Verbatim (http://www.verbatim.com/prod/accessories/disc-drives--burners/external-slimline-cd-dvd-writer/)

or try here:
https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=external+usb+optical+drive+system+requirements&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=SK5iWatc8d7wB4PyueAI

or hopefully restricted to Canada sites:
https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=external+usb+optical+drive+system+requirements+c anada&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=TLFiWYSMNvTe8AekpamQAQ

-

JAMG
Jul 10th, 2017, 01:41 PM
my LG burner has been rock solid, ignore apple drives...

pm-r
Jul 10th, 2017, 02:17 PM
my LG burner has been rock solid, ignore apple drives...

+1!!! Like many other brands, better products and often better performance at a fraction of the price, and work with ALL Mac models, even those with builtin optical drives. A no brainer IMHO. :o

For the benefit of the OP and adding an external USB optical drive, they might want to read this:
External ports and connections on your Mac mini (Late 2014)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204292

USB 3.0
(4 ports)
There are a total of four USB 3.0 ports. You can connect USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and USB 1.1 devices to these ports.
USB 3.0 (also known as "SuperSpeed USB") can transfer data up to 5Gbps. The power available to USB will lessen for each device you connect. For example, the last USB device will have the least power available to it, and it might need it's own power supply. Learn more about USB 3.0 on your Mac.

- Patrick
======

eMacMan
Jul 10th, 2017, 09:32 PM
+1!!! Like many other brands, better products and often better performance at a fraction of the price, and work with ALL Mac models, even those with builtin optical drives. A no brainer IMHO. :o

For the benefit of the OP and adding an external USB optical drive, they might want to read this:
External ports and connections on your Mac mini (Late 2014)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204292

- Patrick
======

One more reason to go with a model that is not bus powered.

hexdiy
Jul 10th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Moreover, you could take almost any old USB external CD Drive unit, powered by its own adapter, take out the old drive and put a 3.5" Blu-Ray burner in its place.

You can get Blu-Ray capable applications for Mac OS!
Like Blu-Ray Player (Pro) or Toast titanium.
Awesome

For what it's worth: I've bought 2 TSST (Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology) ATA/ATAPI CD drives in a thrift store for like 6$ apiece. They can still handle DVD-RAM (simultaneous read/writes).

Put 1 of them in a FireWire 400- ATA case that must date back to 2002 or something.
The second in an Icybox USB2- ATA case, bought in the same thrift store.
Both still work, seemed to be almost brand new at the time, and have delivered reliable service over the years.

Never forget you can still juggle around with old peripherals like optical drives, external enclosures, printers and scanners on the newest Macs too!
For like no money at all...

Happy diy!

krs
Jul 10th, 2017, 10:04 PM
When I was looking for an external DVD drive for my new Mini I decided to get one with a tray load mechanism rather than a slot load since pretty much all the slot load DVD drives that were part of either MacBook Pros and older Minis have given up the ghost.
The external slot load works fine on all Macs I have tried it with, Minis and MacBook Pros with a single USB 2.0 connection.
Don't really like one that requires AC power as well - all my AC connections are under and in the back of the computer setup - it would be a pain to always have to unplug and replug the AC when I want to use the drive on a different Mac.
Price was dirt cheap when I bought it - less than $C50.- at Best Buy in Montreal.

hexdiy
Jul 10th, 2017, 10:11 PM
+1 krs, I do like tray loaders as well.

Especially if you want to be able to read those damned Mini- CDs beejacon

pm-r
Jul 10th, 2017, 11:57 PM
Never forget you can still juggle around with old peripherals like optical drives, external enclosures, printers and scanners on the newest Macs too!
For like no money at all...

Except for all the different and various adapters one may need to purchase with some new Macs. :-(

hexdiy
Jul 11th, 2017, 11:52 PM
Except for all the different and various adapters one may need to purchase with some new Macs. :-(

Hey, I'm the cable guy. Job & hobby!
Best boy Electric in movie jobs too.

Any questions?

pm-r
Jul 12th, 2017, 12:44 AM
When I was looking for an external DVD drive for my new Mini I decided to get one with a tray load mechanism rather than a slot load since pretty much all the slot load DVD drives that were part of either MacBook Pros and older Minis have given up the ghost.
… …
Don't really like one that requires AC power as well - all my AC connections are under and in the back of the computer setup - it would be a pain to always have to unplug and replug the AC when I want to use the drive on a different Mac.

Not to mention that many of the slot load optical drives often scratched and wrecked many optical CD and DVD disks. Even many of the Apple Macs builtin misaligned internal drives.

As for AC power "restrictions"????, most extension cords are pretty reasonable and usually readily available to make various connections convenient. So no valid argument there AFAIC.

krs
Jul 12th, 2017, 01:01 AM
As for AC power "restrictions"????, most extension cords are pretty reasonable and usually readily available to make various connections convenient. So no valid argument there AFAIC.

You probably misunderstood me.

The issue (for me) is not the extension cord but the AC outlet it needs to be plugged into.
That outlet (in my case) is either behind the computer desk where I have to pull out the desk to reach it or some other equally inaccessible lace.
It's OK to plug something in once and leave it but not if one wants to move the AC-corded item and use it different places.
That's also one of the reasons I now only use 2.5" external drives that are bus powered rather than the 3.5" AC powered externals - strictly convenience.

pm-r
Jul 12th, 2017, 01:48 AM
You probably misunderstood me.

The issue (for me) is not the extension cord but the AC outlet it needs to be plugged into.
That outlet (in my case) is either behind the computer desk where I have to pull out the desk to reach it or some other equally inaccessible lace.
It's OK to plug something in once and leave it but not if one wants to move the AC-corded item and use it different places.
That's also one of the reasons I now only use 2.5" external drives that are bus powered rather than the 3.5" AC powered externals - strictly convenience.

I don't think I misunderstood anything and maybe you need to think about your problem as you described it.

As I suggested, that's why they invented extension cords and power bars. Then the AC power receptacle can be located anywhere convenient.

That's also why USB etc, hubs and extension cables can be so convenient.

Your choice I guess. ;)

robert
Jul 12th, 2017, 10:52 AM
wow, way to tell him what he needs even when he explained his preferences.

I have both powered and usb powered drives in use. I prefer the usb powered ones as I don't have to carry cords/set up multiple power bars/etc when moving from computer to computer in the house and when travelling.

Having less shite to carry/look after is a real plus for my usage.

eMacMan
Jul 12th, 2017, 11:58 AM
FWIW I prefer the external power source route. Bus powered devices just don't seem to be as robustly built.

In this case the expressed concern was not wanting to use two USB cables to power the device, plus a computer that may not deliver the rated power to all USB connections. To accomplish that with a single USB connection requires a smaller and probably a mechanically weaker motor, and perhaps a less robust laser as well.

Clearly the best choice is an externally powered slot load drive, but it's up to the OP to decide if the inconvenience is a fair price to pay for improved reliability and durability.

pm-r
Jul 12th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Clearly the best choice is an externally powered slot load drive,

Can't agree with that option and opinion at all and will definitely go with a tray load mechanism rather than a slot load choice that others have also mentioned is their preferred choice.

But AC power does have some advantages that suits me just fine. And yes, all the AC power outlets are almost hidden behind my huge big HEAVY computer desk and shelves. ;)

PS: Anyone remember or still use the Caddy style disc drives???

PPS Edit:
Her's a pretty good chart to preview to make sure one is getting a drive that will do everything they want or need to:
Guide to Optical Disk Drives and Optical Discs | Dell Canada (http://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/SLN301120/guide-to-optical-disk-drives-and-optical-discs?lang=EN)

krs
Jul 28th, 2017, 05:25 PM
In case anyone still looks at this thread.

The external drive I ended up with a few years back is this ASUS one:
https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-External-SDRW-08D2S-U-BLK-AS/dp/B006HUMYCO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Has worked flwalessly for me both with OS 10.6.8 and now El Capitan.
I used it on a Mini, several MacBookpros 2011 & 2012 versions, even a small Dell Inspiron running Mac OS 10.6.8 - in all cases just with a single USB cable and one USB port on the Mac.
Not really sure why so many of the Amazon review claim they need two USB ports on their computer.

pm-r
Jul 28th, 2017, 07:19 PM
In case anyone still looks at this thread.

I never did see another post from the OP or know what they decided.