: find my friends app question

wonderings
Jul 5th, 2017, 05:57 PM
I am heading on a solo motorcycle trip this Friday out to Colorado, Utah and Arizona. I was going to set my parents phone so they could track me if anything should go wrong while on the road. Though it would be simple and easy as the app is right there. Wrong. We all share an Apple ID through our family business, then we have second Apple ID's The find my friend uses the work Apple ID and has no option to sign out and enter a new Apple ID.

Anyway around this or any free solutions for simple tracking?

John Clay
Jul 5th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Only way around it is to use a separate Apple ID for each individual.

Alternatively, you could use a program like Life360 for tracking. I've used it a fair bit, and found it worked reasonably well though it does use a lot of battery.

pm-r
Jul 5th, 2017, 08:48 PM
My Mac dealer son suggests "Spot or Inreach for devices" when I messaged him. He uses one of them to broadcast his position when he's way out in the boonies in the Yukon.

Sorry, I don't have more details and I don't think they're free, and I think they may use some satellite signal which is needed for remote places and no cell connection.

EDIT: Try some of these hits: on 'Spot or Inreach for devices'
https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Spot+or+Inreach+for+devices&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=CoNdWdXLJe3e8Aeiu4fwCQ

BReligion
Jul 6th, 2017, 12:02 AM
You can have multiple devices using find my friends (i.e. iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch.. etc) all signed in using the same Apple ID. I personally have it running on my iPhone, and iPad. ONLY 1 device can be sharing "your" location ("your" being broadcasting your Apple ids location). So if your device is the one set to share the location then they shouldn't have an issue using Find My Friends for them to find you. You won't be able to find them, but that doesn't sound like an issue in your case.

BReligion

gwillikers
Jul 6th, 2017, 01:17 AM
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/where-am-i-at/id389894248?mt=8

wonderings
Jul 6th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am familiar with Spot, not looking for anything I have to pay for, this is mainly for my parents piece of mind and I am not going anywhere super isolated, I could see if I was heading to Alaska that it would be a good idea, but a trip like that is a few years away.

I will play more with find my friends and see if it can work. Hopefully not a battery hog.

BReligion
Jul 6th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I will play more with find my friends and see if it can work. Hopefully not a battery hog.

Like I said, I always have it on and running all the time. Unless someone who is following you has it open I can honestly say I don't even notice its running (or using any battery).

BReligion

pm-r
Jul 6th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am familiar with Spot, not looking for anything I have to pay for, this is mainly for my parents piece of mind and I am not going anywhere super isolated, I could see if I was heading to Alaska that it would be a good idea, but a trip like that is a few years away. …

Maybe split the cost, one way for them to know and second to save your ass and possibly your life.

Last time I drove anywhere close to those areas, there were sure a lot of areas and places that would have been out of any normal communication range. But then they didn't have such devices I could afford back then.

And not really that much different from traveling up to Alaska in a lot of places!! :o

Anyway… good luck and have a nice trip…

HowEver
Jul 6th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Each device really should be on its own "Find My.." login, so they can all be tracked, just in case.

That said, if someone signs in to iCloud on the web, that will find all the devices related to one iCloud account.

wonderings
Jul 7th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Each device really should be on its own "Find My.." login, so they can all be tracked, just in case.

That said, if someone signs in to iCloud on the web, that will find all the devices related to one iCloud account.

I think I am just going to go that route, the find my friends just seemed like it might be simpler for my parents as they do not need to scroll through a massive list on "find my iPhone". Have a ton of devices all set on that, iPads, iPhones, iMacs, MacBooks, etc.

Find my phone is free and they can track with it as I will have data.