: Is the MacBook Air a dead man walking?

Rps
Jun 25th, 2017, 01:07 PM
I bought my wife an iPad Pro as an anniversary gift. While using it she wondered if it might be better for me to buy a laptop when the time comes to replace my iPad....there is a lot of functionality missing with the iPad Pro. So I began looking at the MacBook and the Air. My thoughts are that, even though it seems to sell, the Air is done. The MacBook seems more "Air-like". Is the Air on the way out?

polywog
Jun 25th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Well, the features announced for iOS 11 certainly level the playing field. I think Air will go away, replaced by the iPad Pro. And hopefully they course correct and make the MacBook Pro and actual pro piece of gear.

Rps
Jun 25th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Well, the features announced for iOS 11 certainly level the playing field. I think Air will go away, replaced by the iPad Pro. And hopefully they course correct and make the MacBook Pro and actual pro piece of gear.

At first I thought the iPad Pro, especially the 12inch, would replace the Air, but I'm not so sure. The new MacBook is just as light, and with more features.....cost wise a bit more but might be worth it.

Apple seems to care little about the Air.

wonderings
Jun 26th, 2017, 10:29 AM
I really hope not. The MacBook Air is the only reasonably priced laptop Apple has, and the best specs for a portable as well. I would buy one in a heart beat if it were not for the ancient display they are using.

Rps
Jun 26th, 2017, 10:55 AM
I really hope not. The MacBook Air is the only reasonably priced laptop Apple has, and the best specs for a portable as well. I would buy one in a heart beat if it were not for the ancient display they are using.

Wondering, I think your comment on he display seals its fate. Now if the new OS for the iPad Pro is computer like....I think the Air is gone, which is too bad.

rgray
Jun 27th, 2017, 05:44 AM
The iPad (of any specification) is not and will never be a computer. I have been gifted two iPads. Anytime I have to edit any text, I head straight for my MacBook. I would NEVER spend a dime of my own money on (any) iPad.

SINC
Jun 27th, 2017, 06:31 AM
The iPad (of any specification) is not and will never be a computer. I have been gifted two iPads. Anytime I have to edit any text, I head straight for my MacBook. I would NEVER sped a dime of my own money on (any) iPad.

This.

While I own a Mini 2 for some game time with my grandchildren, the iPad is useless to do any real work and the most cumbersome thing ever invented for editing or copy and past anything. My MacBook Pro is my go to machine and backed up with a Mac Mini just in case of issues.

robert
Jun 27th, 2017, 07:52 AM
While that is true for you both, I find it extremely useful for illustration work, marking up comps, sketching, browsing the internet, e-mails, taking quick pics of things which quickly happen, playing games with the kids or by myself. (revisiting Marathon right now :-) )

When I travel or go anywhere, there are 4 movies on the iPad at all times. I also have over 100 books/manuals/magazines on it. If I have down time/waiting, then I can read whatever strikes my fancy at the time. No need to choose what to pack as I can bring it all.

This was true of the iPod when it first came out, a real game changer for me. No need to decide which cassettes to pack as I could take my whole music library with me.

So, for me, the iPad is extremely useful in my daily life. That said, I don't just buy a new one when the line is refreshed. I bought an iPad 2 (as the first was not where it needed to be) and then an iPad air for the display improvements. I will be getting an iPad pro 10.5 or a used 9.7 pro (if I can find a used one at a reasonable price) soon/next. The Apple pencil, for me, is as close to a real pencil for drawing and sketching as anything on the market. It is the main motivator for the next upgrade.

polywog
Jun 27th, 2017, 10:24 AM
The iPad (of any specification) is not and will never be a computer. I have been gifted two iPads. Anytime I have to edit any text, I head straight for my MacBook. I would NEVER spend a dime of my own money on (any) iPad.

I've done a lot of writing and coding on my iPad Air. It's pretty easy to tote around, display is top notch and the battery life is amazing. Granted, I have it paired with a logitech keyboard. I think I'd spoon out my own eyeballs if I had to use the on screen keyboard for anything but quick edits.

Rps
Aug 2nd, 2017, 11:19 AM
I have been noticing "sales" on the MacBook Air, as much as $70 off, which is unusual for Apple.....this would be in addition to the back to school promo.....usually a bad sign when it is a sale item.