: Apple has forgotten me...

rgray
May 30th, 2017, 10:39 PM
hRL887LSf6Q

So what would you want to see in a so-called "Pro" machine anyway...???
Actually this may vary with the specific profession...???

Barest minimum:

expandable/user installable RAM
User swappable storage HD and/or SSD
useful array of connectors ...
etc...

wonderings
May 31st, 2017, 11:33 AM
hRL887LSf6Q

So what would you want to see in a so-called "Pro" machine anyway...???
Actually this may vary with the specific profession...???

Barest minimum:

etc...

I think they had it pretty much perfect design wise with the G5/Mac Pro towers. Super fast and easy hard drive swapping, lots of space and everything neatly and cleanly laid out. Simple to replace RAM which should be user replaceable (think it is now on the current Mac Pro but not sure). Apple till the current Mac Pro had been doing an amazing job with their towers. I remember the first one I got at work a PowerMac G4, think it was a dual 867 or something like that. I was amazed at how easy it was to work on, the ingenuity of the design. Click a button it opens and you have easy access to everything which made it great to work on or expand.

If I were to go with a Mac Pro I would certainly want Apple to go back in time a bit and take some design cues from the late great pro desktop lineup they had. Definitely would need internal hard drive bays, 4 is a good number for me, needs easy change RAM and a bonus would be a CPU that could be swapped out/upgraded like a regular PC

eMacMan
May 31st, 2017, 01:23 PM
Pretty much what wonderings said. Sometimes a product is so good that attempting to improve it can only result in a step backward.

kloan
May 31st, 2017, 04:52 PM
They went for form over function, which seems to be a trend with them these days.

IMO, the aluminum towers were the best they ever offered.

dibenga
May 31st, 2017, 05:04 PM
Clearly, Apple set our expectations high, cosmetics aside, has hardware changed that much in the last few years? The trend across all platforms and devices has been optimizing power consumption over brute power. That being said, pros that rely on pushing hardware to the max have been left in limbo not knowing whether to leave the platform for PC or wait for the promise of a significant hardware bump. Scary times.

rgray
May 31st, 2017, 11:00 PM
Is there such a thing as a "pro" laptop??

I miss the 17"MBP....

macintosh doctor
Jun 1st, 2017, 03:39 PM
Barest minimum:

etc...

i would love a pro machine which was like the x serve

wonderings
Jun 1st, 2017, 05:45 PM
Is there such a thing as a "pro" laptop??

I miss the 17"MBP....

another perfect example of going form over function rather then balancing the two. How thin do we really need a laptop to be? Sure it is sleek and looks great, but for a pro unit to not have at absolutely bare minimum a replaceable hard drive or RAM is laughable. I have the first 15" Retina MacBook Pro and that still seems like a small sleek laptop though it is a beast in comparison to the latest Apple laptops. I upgraded it as much as I could at the time so it has 16 gigs of RAM and a 512 flash drive. Would have a longer life with at least replaceable RAM.

kloan
Jun 1st, 2017, 07:38 PM
another perfect example of going form over function rather then balancing the two. How thin do we really need a laptop to be? Sure it is sleek and looks great, but for a pro unit to not have at absolutely bare minimum a replaceable hard drive or RAM is laughable. I have the first 15" Retina MacBook Pro and that still seems like a small sleek laptop though it is a beast in comparison to the latest Apple laptops. I upgraded it as much as I could at the time so it has 16 gigs of RAM and a 512 flash drive. Would have a longer life with at least replaceable RAM.

I had one of those. It really was a great machine.