: what is the deal with iCloud?????

wonderings
Apr 24th, 2017, 10:16 AM
So I had to reset my iCloud password last week, was a bit of a pain as it is used on about 4 computers, 4 iPads and a few iPhones at work (share contacts, calendar etc). Today the password I set no longer works... on any computer that it did work before. I try logging in with the password no go. With some grumbling I try the forgot my password link and go through a process only to get this message that I am now in account recovery which could take a few days.... days?!?!?!

What is going on here? Why is changing a password this time consuming? I get there is security but I answered everything they asked, phone number, payment details, etc. Have to say working with Apple iCloud and Apple in general is getting more and more frustrating. Think Different... they certainly are. The annoying message constantly pops up asking to login to iCloud, had to sign out completely to get rid of the pop up. I used to love OS X, it was an OS that worked well did not get in the way and made life simpler. No longer the case, needless to say I am not a happy Apple user at the moment and if the current trend continues I could see jumping ship sometime down the road, which is terrifying in itself going back to maintaining Windows computers.

CubaMark
Apr 24th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Don't get me started.

My two peeves with iCloud?

(a) never should have turned on two-factor authentication.
(b) In age where websites can set "supercookies", track my browsing habits to hither and yon, serve up personalized ads, etc., why the hell can't Apple make "Trust this browser" bloody well work?

There are times when Apple's software engineers are simply brilliant. There are others in which I'd like to take a team of behavioural psychologists over to 1 Infinite Loop and try to get inside the head of these people, to understand a mental process that is so far separated from the rest of humanity.... :(

wonderings
Apr 24th, 2017, 04:45 PM
I am seriously ready to just toss Apple right out the window now. My mom messed up her account, forgot her password so I guided her through all the steps to reset it on her iPhone. She does it, it finally accepts it. a few hours later I have her MacBook Air and try to update the password there, it will not accept. I have the password written out in front of me and typing one finger so as not to mess anything up. Locked account. I go and do the whole process again to reset and now have another password and will have to go through and change her iPad and iPhone again and hope that those accept the password. No clue why the MacBook Air would not accept the password, just a nightmare to deal with and go through something that should be so simple. Not sure why my work apple ID is still on lock down waiting to be recovered... not even sure what that means, I just want to change the password so I can get back up and running again and not have the annoying pop ups saying I need to login all the time.

I certainly agree there are times Apple is brilliant, messages is a great example, I cannot imagine not having all my messages across my devices, so seamless and functional. But lately there is more trouble then there is good. Can't say that I have had anywhere near this level of frustration with Windows in a long long time.

Macfury
Apr 25th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Still amazed that my iPhone bleats that it doesn't have enough iCloud storage, when I don't store anything I need to keep on my iPhone. I have tried to find a way to eliminate the message but no go. Meanwhile on iTunes I'm constantly warned that my iCloud session has expired--and I store nothing on iCloud. This isn't a simple software prompt, it's in-platform advertising.

wonderings
Apr 25th, 2017, 10:53 AM
I finally got the password reset for my iCloud account at work, went through the process off updating each and every computer and device here. The whole security thing is a joke, when updating my iMac instead of sending the code to my iPhone or any other device it sent it to my iMac so I verified it through the computer I was activating. Sometimes the code would never come and would have to start again. All in all a huge headache. Now not sure why, but iMesssage are not working on my iMac, get them on my iPhone, but no longer my iPad or iMac. Had to sign out and sign back in... and these are a completely unrelated iCloud account. So one thing gets messed up Apple screws them all up... for my security I am sure.

CubaMark
Apr 25th, 2017, 11:12 AM
....and don't get me started on application-specific passwords.... and my stupid office iMac that asks for my iCloud password every single goddamn day, without telling me WHY. I'm signed into iCloud in System Preferences, so why the hell does it need it again? Most likely it's for Messages or Facetime, but the goddamn dialogue doesn't tell you which part of iCloud is bothering you. DUMB.

monokitty
Apr 25th, 2017, 11:22 AM
....and don't get me started on application-specific passwords.... and my stupid office iMac that asks for my iCloud password every single goddamn day, without telling me WHY. I'm signed into iCloud in System Preferences, so why the hell does it need it again? Most likely it's for Messages or Facetime, but the goddamn dialogue doesn't tell you which part of iCloud is bothering you. DUMB.

So are you typing it in when prompted or not?

wonderings
Apr 25th, 2017, 11:27 AM

I have had that happen and it will not go away, you keep typing in the password and it comes back over and over and over. I will eventually do a restart and it seems to solve it. When it works it is great, nothing to think about, but heaven forbid anything goes wrong and you need to reset and have more then one computer and iPhone. It is an absolute nightmare that takes way to much time to sort out.

dibenga
Apr 25th, 2017, 11:08 PM
I heard this thread name in my head in Jerry Sienfields voice..

CubaMark
Apr 26th, 2017, 12:53 AM

Yep. Never accepts it. Only way out is "Cancel", and it will come back again the next time I login. Infuriating.

wonderings
Apr 26th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Yep. Never accepts it. Only way out is "Cancel", and it will come back again the next time I login. Infuriating.

I found with that I had to cancel and go in through preferences and do it there. For some reason it would never work via the pop up asking for the password.