: Browsers

Ladybearbc
Apr 5th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Hi All

I am running an ipad mini - first edition and an older Macbook Pro. Not really interested in upgrading

However, I am getting really tired of the warnings from Firefox that the sites I am visiting (credit union and sites I work with) are not safe because they have not upgraded their certificate - supposedly

Any suggestions on a browser that Imight use as an alternative to Safari? Not really interested in the megalith Google getting into my life

I just tried to download Opera onto the ipad - a but apparently Safari cannot download it

Thank you for your help

wonderings
Apr 5th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Hi All

I am running an ipad mini - first edition and an older Macbook Pro. Not really interested in upgrading

However, I am getting really tired of the warnings from Firefox that the sites I am visiting (credit union and sites I work with) are not safe because they have not upgraded their certificate - supposedly

Any suggestions on a browser that Imight use as an alternative to Safari? Not really interested in the megalith Google getting into my life

I just tried to download Opera onto the ipad - a but apparently Safari cannot download it

Thank you for your help

You do not download applications through Safari on the iPad, you need to use the App store. There are security issues with older browsers that are not updated which is why websites, especially financial ones will warn you.

Not sure why you are against Google Chrome, you do not need a gmail account or any other Google account to use the browser. There are some great benefits to upgrading your iPad mini, one is updated iOS for latest browsers and security, the other is the screen which is fantastic, very sharp and easy to read.

SINC
Apr 5th, 2017, 12:33 PM
And I am puzzled why Mac users reject Safari. Good grief it is built by Apple for Apple products and I find it to be reliable, stable and without all the associated bells and whistles that Firefox likes to drag into my system. It is a mystery to me and has been for the many years I have used Safari without issues of any kind.

Arkay
Apr 5th, 2017, 12:58 PM
I use iCab Mobile (available at the iOS Apple Store) on my iPad because of its myriad of controls and settings, including website-by-website type-size settings.

I run the always-latest Firefox on my iMac because of the extensions available, among them NoSquint Plus for website-by-website type-size settings. :)

If your version of Firefox is the most recent and you’re running the most recent operating system available for your MacBook Pro (as you should be with your iPad), see if this stops Firefox’s certificate warnings:

Go into Firefox’s Preferences, click on Advanced at the bottom of the column on the left, click on the Certificates tab at the top right and remove the check mark at the bottom from “Query OCSP responder servers to confirm the current validity of certificates.”

Ladybearbc
Apr 5th, 2017, 05:09 PM
You do not download applications through Safari on the iPad, you need to use the App store. There are security issues with older browsers that are not updated which is why websites, especially financial ones will warn you.

Not sure why you are against Google Chrome, you do not need a gmail account or any other Google account to use the browser. There are some great benefits to upgrading your iPad mini, one is updated iOS for latest browsers and security, the other is the screen which is fantastic, very sharp and easy to read.

Thank you!

Google - just on general principles - i just don't feel they are particularly interested in respecting the fact that not everyone wants all their personal info sprayed everywhere.

I haven't bought into the philosophy that everything becomes obsolete when the new model comes out. Way too many electronics going to the dump.....

Thank you again

Ladybearbc
Apr 5th, 2017, 05:11 PM
I use iCab Mobile (available at the iOS Apple Store) on my iPad because of its myriad of controls and settings, including website-by-website type-size settings.

I run the always-latest Firefox on my iMac because of the extensions available, among them NoSquint Plus for website-by-website type-size settings. :)

If your version of Firefox is the most recent and you’re running the most recent operating system available for your MacBook Pro (as you should be with your iPad), see if this stops Firefox’s certificate warnings:

Go into Firefox’s Preferences, click on Advanced at the bottom of the column on the left, click on the Certificates tab at the top right and remove the check mark at the bottom from “Query OCSP responder servers to confirm the current validity of certificates.”

Thank you will check the preferences and see if that works

wonderings
Apr 5th, 2017, 05:47 PM
And I am puzzled why Mac users reject Safari. Good grief it is built by Apple for Apple products and I find it to be reliable, stable and without all the associated bells and whistles that Firefox likes to drag into my system. It is a mystery to me and has been for the many years I have used Safari without issues of any kind.

I just assumed she had already tried and not liked. I prefer Safari and use it on all my devices. Chrome is a good alternative and would be my second choice for a browser. If security is an issue though you need to keep up to date, be it Safari or anything else.

BReligion
Apr 6th, 2017, 09:58 AM

+1

I was so irritated a couple of weeks ago when I tried to get some SmartSource coupons electronically Via the FLIPP app, they demanded I use Chrome or Firefox to open the URL to download the PDF. I sent them an email and got a the generic thanks for the feedback, your SOL response :)

BReligion

eMacMan
Apr 6th, 2017, 10:45 AM

Not sure about the new Safari, but some of us still running Snow Leopard, have noticed Safari 5.1.1 continually reading/writing to the HD even though other browsers get by with but a fraction of that activity.

I have set FireFox to cache to memory something that is impossible with Safari. As a result there is almost zero HD activity when using FF.

rgray
Apr 6th, 2017, 06:10 PM
and i am puzzled why mac users reject safari. Good grief it is built by apple for apple products and i find it to be reliable, stable and without all the associated bells and whistles that firefox likes to drag into my system. It is a mystery to me and has been for the many years i have used safari without issues of any kind.

+1

polywog
Apr 7th, 2017, 05:29 AM

For one, not everyone is fortunate enough to only work with Macs.

polywog
Apr 7th, 2017, 05:30 AM
Hi All

Thank you for your help

If you like Chrome, but don't like Google, you could give Chromium a try. It's what Chrome (and to a point Safari) are built upon.

https://download-chromium.appspot.com/

Kleles
Apr 7th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I've been using Safari as my principle browser since returning to Macs about seven years ago. It’s an almost-never-fail app that does what I expect it do do. However, sometimes, especially when filling forms, Safari fails and I turn to Firefox. With the two I’m never stuck. I keep both up to date as I do with all my apps.

rgray
Apr 7th, 2017, 09:27 AM
i've been using safari as my principle browser since returning to macs about seven years ago. It’s an almost-never-fail app that does what i expect it do do. However, sometimes, especially when filling forms, safari fails and i turn to firefox. With the two i’m never stuck. I keep both up to date as i do with all my apps.

+1

Macfury
Apr 7th, 2017, 04:17 PM
I use Firefox primarily, Chrome occasionally and keep Brave running for when websites keep churning away on ad content instead of displaying.

Macfury
Mar 25th, 2019, 12:28 PM
Newest iteration of Firefox has a great feature... you can choose to prevent websites from launching sound the moment they load. Very serene browsing experience now!

SINC
Mar 25th, 2019, 03:47 PM
I've been using Safari as my principle browser since returning to Macs about seven years ago. It’s an almost-never-fail app that does what I expect it do do. However, sometimes, especially when filling forms, Safari fails and I turn to Firefox. With the two I’m never stuck. I keep both up to date as I do with all my apps.

Yep, I do the same, but use Safari 99% of the time.

SINC
Mar 25th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Newest iteration of Firefox has a great feature... you can choose to prevent websites from launching sound the moment they load. Very serene browsing experience now!

I was able to solve this issue using Safari many years ago. My sound is turned off at all times. I only turn it on if I want to listen to something and when finished, off it goes! :D