: Disable auto video play.....

csonni
Mar 30th, 2017, 08:20 AM
I know there are settings to disable auto play of videos in certain apps, such as Facebook, but, in order to save data usage, I haven't yet figured out where the setting for Chrome iOS is. When visiting CBS news, there is always a video thumbnail that auto plays which I would rather disable. Any ideas if this is possible?

SINC
Mar 30th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Google has it covered:

MJR Creative Group | How To Disable Auto-Play Videos on Facebook in Chrome and iOS (http://www.mjrcg.com/blog/2014/02/how-to-disable-auto-play-videos-on-facebook-in-chrome-and-ios/)

csonni
Mar 30th, 2017, 10:23 AM
I've already got that done for Facebook. What I'm talking about is actual sites visited in Chrome for iOS, such as CBS news as previously mentioned.

polywog
Mar 30th, 2017, 08:19 PM
You could try going to chrome://chrome/settings/content in the browser, but not sure it will work in the iOS version.

csonni
Mar 30th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I had tried that, but there is only options for blocking popups, of which I have enabled.

Macfury
Mar 31st, 2017, 11:17 AM
Man, I have tried to kill them--especially the ones that simply read whatever is on the screen. Have not succeeded, except to get the Flash-based videos to request permission.

Arkay
Apr 5th, 2017, 01:38 PM
If it's a JavaScript (what else?) you're out of luck.

Among iCab Mobile's FAQs is this one:

Is it possible to switch off JavaScript?

No. This is not possible. The iOS doesn't support switching off JavaScript for third-party Apps.