: Updating OS 10.6

lebeau99
Feb 22nd, 2017, 09:13 PM
It looks like I'm going to have to do this finally. Ironically because one of the things I can't update is Flashplayer, which sadly I still seem to need. (IciMusique requires it and I require IciMusique). Radio is the principal use of the MB now. Plus my grandson needs to use it for his school courses.
Also, I have to update Safari, it seems, and no updates are available anymore. Too bad really.
Incidentally, I'd like to keep GarageBand 4.1.2. It accommodates a 3mm stereo input jack, function Apple decided to get rid of to save money no doubt. Saved them a couple of bucks and cost me $160 for an interface to use with GB 10.1.3.
The question is which OS I should upgrade to to get max functionality and have it still work on this MB, which is indestructible and good.
MacBook 10.6. 4GB RAM, 256 GB hd. I could upgrade to 8GB RAM if I had to.
Thanks.

lebeau99
Feb 22nd, 2017, 09:18 PM
Oops. Should have read the post about upgrading a 2008 Mac before posting. Partitioning will also help me to keep GB 4.1 usable.

CubaMark
Feb 22nd, 2017, 11:14 PM
Two possible suggestions:

Can you listen to IciMusique at this link (https://facebookhaiti.com/index.php/canada/ici-musique-montreal)?

Also... have you tried using Chrome to access, which bundles its own version of Flash?

And: to what version of OS X are you thinking of upgrading? I personally wouldn't run 10.8 or higher on anything less than 8 gigs of RAM.

M

ChilBear
Feb 23rd, 2017, 09:28 AM
I am also still at 10.6 - Chrome is not updating, they have stopped supporting past 10.8 I believe. I think partitioning and installing another OS is the solution keeping 10.6 if possible. I also have one program needing Flash and I watch for a "hiccup" during the program use and then see if Flash has an update and download it manually via Preferences. I have some success using Safari as it uses the Flash upgrade present but it also is not happy with the new web page structure and fails occasionally. So my 2006 is limping along on 10.6 and I have just bought a 2012 MBP to be the new computer when the iMac is done.

SINC
Feb 23rd, 2017, 11:39 AM
I am confused as to why Flash should be an issue?? I run Flash all the time using OS X Sierra 12.3 and it works fine.

John Clay
Feb 23rd, 2017, 02:10 PM
I am confused as to why Flash should be an issue?? I run Flash all the time using OS X Sierra 12.3 and it works fine.

New Flash won't run on 10.6 as it's ancient. Old Flash is blocked because it's security Swiss cheese.

SINC
Feb 23rd, 2017, 03:49 PM
New Flash won't run on 10.6 as it's ancient. Old Flash is blocked because it's security Swiss cheese.

Ah, thanks for the explanation, John.

Also I always intended to thank you for developing Transmission. Although I do not use it often, when I do it is superb.

pm-r
Feb 23rd, 2017, 06:35 PM

OT, but my experience was the opposite and never could access the Bless Webcam and other Flash "test sites" using Safari. I didn't try Chrome.

Sierra caused some other problems so I ended up going back to my fully working Mavericks.

pm-r
Feb 23rd, 2017, 06:51 PM
Ah, thanks for the explanation, John.

Also I always intended to thank you for developing Transmission. Although I do not use it often, when I do it is superb.

WOW!!! +1 and ditto.

I didn't realize it was the same John Clay. Many thanks for some great software.

krs
Feb 24th, 2017, 12:10 AM
I took a leap with a newer Mac Mini from 10.6.8 to 10.11.5
Put in 16 Gig of RAM just to be sure and since it was relatively cheap - less than $100.-

Other than the things I bitched about already, things are not running too badly.
Was really happy to get "SaveAs" back permanently.

Still doesn't run as smoothly as 10.6.8 but more and more software that I wanted to use is no longer supported on 10.6

I also have a MacBook pro still running on 10.6.8 that I need to upgrade.
I'm thinking of splitting the hard drive - keep 10.6.8 on one half and run 10.11 on the other half - at least for the time being in case there are applications or files that are problematic with the new OS.

Seems to me OS10.8, 10.9, 10.10 and 10.11 run about the same - probably wouldn't go to OS 10.12 yet, but for the others, one might as well go to the latest rather than eventually having to upgrade again.

yeeeha
Feb 24th, 2017, 01:28 AM
It looks like I'm going to have to do this finally. Ironically because one of the things I can't update is Flashplayer, which sadly I still seem to need.

One of my two MacBook Pros is a mid-2007 model, running OS 10.6.8 with 4GB RAM. It has the latest Flash player plug-in 24.0.0.221 installed. The installer works, and I think the plug-in runs in the 32-bit mode.

Also, I have to update Safari, it seems, and no updates are available anymore. Too bad really.
That's correct. Apple had long stopped issuing newer version of Safari for OS 10.6.8. The last version of Safari under OS 10.6.8 is 5.1.10.

Google made the minimum OS requirement for Chrome, and other browsers related to Chrome such as Chromium, to 10.9 as of version 50.

For now the only major browser that OS 10.6.8 users can use is Firefox, but limited to the Extended Support Release (ESR) version. I use Firefox 45.7.0 ESR Firefox on my OS 10.6.8 MacBook Pro. But this will come to an end some time this year as Mozilla will cut OS 10.6-10.8 support on all of its browsers.

The question is which OS I should upgrade to to get max functionality and have it still work on this MB, which is indestructible and good.
MacBook 10.6. 4GB RAM, 256 GB hd. I could upgrade to 8GB RAM if I had to.
Thanks.

You can go to at least OS 10.9. Last week I did a test with my old mid-2007 MacBook Pro booting up from a 5400rpm external drive with OS 10.9.5 installed. In the brief test I played a 720p video with the MacBook Pro hooked up to my HDTV. No problem with the playback, no stutter. So I am thinking seriously about upgrading the OS on the old MacBook Pro to 10.9.5.

pm-r
Feb 24th, 2017, 02:00 PM
I also have a MacBook pro still running on 10.6.8 that I need to upgrade.
I'm thinking of splitting the hard drive - keep 10.6.8 on one half and run 10.11 on the other half - at least for the time being in case there are applications or files that are problematic with the new OS.

If you go that route as I did originally with my MBPro and it's HDD, move the SL 10.6.8 volume to the inner partition as shown in Disk Utility and then add the later OS X version to the top or outermost partition.

I don't use that method any longer as I installed a smaller capacity SSD into my 2007 MBPro and as I have SL 10.6.8 available on my 2011 iMac for those few times I might need it, and they're finally getting fewer. But still unbelievable that the old AppleWorks can still do some things that no Pages.app version can do!!!

krs
Feb 24th, 2017, 02:20 PM
........ move the SL 10.6.8 volume to the inner partition as shown in Disk Utility and then add the later OS X version to the top or outermost partition.

You say "move" - can one actually do that and if so how?

I thought I need to back up the existing 10.6.8 volume and all the data on an external drive, then erase the internal drive and partition it and then copy 10.6.8 and date from the external drive to one partition and install the new OS on the other partition and also copy the current data from the external to the new OS.

In the end I want to have the same applications, data, everything on OS 10.11 that I had on 10.6.8

pm-r
Feb 24th, 2017, 03:24 PM
You say "move" - can one actually do that and if so how?

Sorry, I should have said "clone", and one can use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) that allows some free usage.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7032/carbon-copy-cloner
And the Snow Leopard compatible version if needed Carbon Copy Cloner 3.4.7 (OS X 10.4 and 10.5) via the link.

More info via:
https://bombich.com

Then just install the OS X 10.11.x and its Updates to the top/outermost volume and label each accordingly, i.e. iMac ElCap HD and iMac SL HD etc. just to keep track.

PS: Some older stuff may not run, but easy enough to delete or update if there is any.

PPS: Your updated iPhoto libraries will not be usable with your older software and other upgrading things.

Do keep a current backup BEFORE any installs etc., preferably a CCC clone IMHO.

- Patrick
======

Rob
Feb 24th, 2017, 07:32 PM
You can update the Flash plugin to the latest version if you're using a Mozilla based browser, such as Firefox, in OS 10.6

I'm using OS 10.6.8, and the Seamonkey browser (Mozilla based). I can't use the latest version of Seamonkey in 10.6.8, but I can still update the Flash plugin to the latest version (currently at 24,0,0,221).

In Seamonkey, go to the help menu and select "About Plugins". From there, click on the link to "Find Updates for Installed Plugins" at the upper left. When you do that, it will check the status of several plugins, and give you a link to update them. The Flash plugin link takes you to the Adobe site, and you select your OS and Browser. There's a link for OS 10.6 to 10.12, and there's also options to select Opera, Firefox, and Chrome browsers. I selected Firefox, since Seamonkey is essentially the same. After updating I confirmed I have the latest Flash plugin at the Adobe Flash site.

I don't use Firefox, but the methodology should be somewhat similar.

I then switched over to Safari, and confirmed at the Adobe site that it is also using the latest version of the Flash plugin.

Although this gets you the latest version of the Flash plugin, the browser itself isn't at the latest version, so there may be other security related issues.

To see what version of Flash you're using, go to this link:
Adobe - Flash Player (http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/)

eMacMan
Feb 24th, 2017, 08:25 PM
You can update the Flash plugin to the latest version if you're using a Mozilla based browser, such as Firefox, in OS 10.6

I'm using OS 10.6.8, and the Seamonkey browser (Mozilla based). I can't use the latest version of Seamonkey in 10.6.8, but I can still update the Flash plugin to the latest version (currently at 24,0,0,221).

In Seamonkey, go to the help menu and select "About Plugins". From there, click on the link to "Find Updates for Installed Plugins" at the upper left. When you do that, it will check the status of several plugins, and give you a link to update them. The Flash plugin link takes you to the Adobe site, and you select your OS and Browser. There's a link for OS 10.6 to 10.12, and there's also options to select Opera, Firefox, and Chrome browsers. I selected Firefox, since Seamonkey is essentially the same. After updating I confirmed I have the latest Flash plugin at the Adobe Flash site.

I don't use Firefox, but the methodology should be somewhat similar.

I then switched over to Safari, and confirmed at the Adobe site that it is also using the latest version of the Flash plugin.

Although this gets you the latest version of the Flash plugin, the browser itself isn't at the latest version, so there may be other security related issues.

To see what version of Flash you're using, go to this link:
Adobe - Flash Player (http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/)

Yep using FFv48.0.2 and just updated FlashPlayer (again) to the latest version. Will probably be out of date in an hour or two.

BTW the easiest way to update Flash Player in 10.6.8 is via the FlashPlayer control panel in System Preferences. For Firefox you only need to update the NPAPI plug in. I prefer to disable auto updating which has to be disabled back after every update.

lebeau99
Mar 20th, 2017, 02:14 AM
Two possible suggestions:

Can you listen to IciMusique at this link (https://facebookhaiti.com/index.php/canada/ici-musique-montreal)?

Also... have you tried using Chrome to access, which bundles its own version of Flash?

And: to what version of OS X are you thinking of upgrading? I personally wouldn't run 10.8 or higher on anything less than 8 gigs of RAM.

M

Thanks M. I can listen to it on this MBP 10.10 but not on the MB running 10.6. using Safari 5.1.10. I wonder if FireFox might do it. I will however use that site for other stations as well.
I don't use Chrome and only use google for a gmail account I have. My browser is Qwant, which I find very good.
I was thinking of upgrading to 10.10 just because it probably requires less RAM than Sierra.
And according to CanadaRam, I am restricted to 6GO of Ram on that particular MB.Model 4.1, 2.4GHz processor, 256 GO HDD.( 1 -2GO card and 1 -4GO card) .
D

lebeau99
Mar 20th, 2017, 02:23 AM
Sinc;
Flash is an issue for me simply because I don't like being obliged to use it. I have the same issue with Adobe reader which has convinced the federal government to allow Reader to be declared the only app which can open some files.
I would love to see HTML5 used more. Why is it not more common?