: Blackmagic disk speed test

IMac_Man
Feb 13th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Does anyone use Blackmagic disk speed test for their iMac? I downloaded it last week from the app store and can't get it to boot. I know it says it requires a 64 bit processor (which mine has according to the Terminal). I have a 2008 24" iMac running Lion 10.7.5.

Any suggestions?

pm-r
Feb 13th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Try downloading it from here:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/38019/blackmagic-disk-speed-test

and maybe read some of the comments there if it doesn't work.

and yes, your iMac is 64-bit:
Apple iMac Specs (All iMac Tech Specs) @ EveryMac.com (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html)

IMac_Man
Feb 13th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Hi pm-r,

Thanks very much for the response and the links. I'll download from the macupdate site and hopefully can get the program to run. As well, the iMac specs link will come in handy. Thanks again.

Joe

IMac_Man
Feb 13th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Hi Again, I tried the download from macupdate but it still takes me to the App store for download. I downloaded and still no luck. I read several of the review comments and they, too, had problems running the app. I'll do some more research.

BTW, would anyone have an older copy that they could direct me to?

pm-r
Feb 13th, 2017, 07:24 PM
BTW, would anyone have an older copy that they could direct me to?

I can't seem to find anything and I just checked my v. 3.0 of Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.app that I've had and used with my SL 10.6.8 and just checked it with Mavericks 10.9.5, Still works.

Correction, my [B]Blackmagic Disk Speed Test[/B.app] I used with SL seems to be v. 2.2.2 but I don't believe it ran properly with OS X 10.7.x that I hardly ever used.

Personally I wouldn't worry about even using it too much as there's not much you can do other than getting a newer fast HDD of maybe even a semi-fast SSD which are faster than any HDD. ;)

EDIT:
All links to the old v. 2.x seem to just goto the v. 3.0 site that I could find.

IMac_Man
Feb 13th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Patrick, I tend to agree with you regarding useage of the app. What I wanted to do is benchmark my old HDD and see what the speed increase is with the new SSD. After that I'd probably never use it again. BTW, do you know anything about Xdrive? This app was mentioned in an article about benchmarking Mac drives.

Joe

IMac_Man
Feb 13th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Oops - the software is called Drive dx not XDrive.

Joe

pm-r
Feb 13th, 2017, 07:40 PM
I don't know anything about that but maybe try some sites for alternate apps and software like:
https://9to5mac.com/2015/05/14/how-to-benchmark-your-mac-free-downloads/

BTW: Most such apps just measure the Read/Write speeds and may not even give an accurate speed of actual use, but can give a potential speed figure which should be ok for comparison use.

IMac_Man
Feb 13th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Thanks again - I do appreciate your expertise and experience.

Joe

eMacMan
Feb 13th, 2017, 08:18 PM
The place you are most likely to notice an improvement is in boot times and launching certain apps.

Why not just time your normal boot time and the launch times for any apps that seem particularly slow, then compare after the change?.

IMac_Man
Feb 13th, 2017, 08:22 PM
Hi eMacMan, you're right of course. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one. Thanks for the response.

Joe

pm-r
Feb 13th, 2017, 08:51 PM
The place you are most likely to notice an improvement is in boot times and launching certain apps.

And not to forget that those iMac models were still restricted to using Serial ATA (3 Gb/s) bus speed. Still plenty fast for most users!!! ;) :D

- Patrick
=======

IMac_Man
Feb 13th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Patrick, I'm just hoping for a stable operating system that I don't have to worry about for a few more years. If it's a lot faster, that would be wonderful too. 😉

Thanks again.

pm-r
Feb 13th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Patrick, I'm just hoping for a stable operating system that I don't have to worry about for a few more years. If it's a lot faster, that would be wonderful too. 😉

Thanks again.

No doubt it will be faster for some things but do make sure it also has adequate amount of RAM installed to help things out, and that iMac can use a maximum of 6GB, and 4GB should be your installed MINIMUM!!!

And definitely the 6GB RAM if you're going to go to to the Maximum MacOS: X 10.11.x it can use.

Check at Canada RAM sells Memory, Hard Drives, SSD and Computer Accessories in Canada (http://www.Canadaram.com) if you need more.

IMac_Man
Feb 13th, 2017, 10:42 PM
I had read on a few sites that 6 mb ram could be used by this machine even though it calls for 4 gb max. Would it be o.k. to just take out one 2 gb stick and replace it with a 4 gb stick or do they need to be a matched pair. Would I need to install a new 2 gb and 4 gb?

BTW, I was considering just leaving the OS at 10.7.5 Lion. It works for me! Also, thanks for the link. I'm going to check them out.

Joe

pm-r
Feb 13th, 2017, 11:34 PM
Check out the info at canadaram.com regarding the memory module size to use.

6GB is the Max Ram for that iMac. Apple never bothered to update the actual info or facts.

As for updating your OS X, you may be restricted in your choice if you never downloaded any later version from the App Store. You may be able to purchase 10.8.x, or 10.11.x may be available to you via your Apple ID App Store.

"*This system can run the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion", OS X 10.9 "Mavericks", OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" and OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" including booting in 64-bit mode. However, it does not support OpenCL nor does it support AirDrop, AirPlay Mirroring (which also requires a 2nd Gen or later Apple TV), Power Nap, or other advanced features, either. It is not capable of running macOS Sierra (10.12) or subsequent versions of the macOS at all."
iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 24-Inch (Early 2008) Specs (Early 2008, MB398LL/A, iMac8,1, A1225, 2211) @ EveryMac.com (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-3.06-24-inch-aluminum-early-2008-penryn-specs.html)

For maybe similar 2008 iMac specs…

Just be aware that OS X 10.7.5 Lion is getting less and less support and almost nothing from Apple and you'll get cut off more and more as time goes on.

And I sure hope you have a current working backup.

IMac_Man
Feb 14th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Patrick, thanks again. Appreciate all comments and suggestions from everyone.

Joe