: iCloud memory storage

lewisbriskin
Jan 29th, 2017, 06:57 AM
I received a notice that my iCloud memory storage was almost at its max, close to 5 GB. I deleted the backup and did another backup and now the storage memory is only at 1.1 GB, more than 3.9 GB of free memory. This has happened to me at least 3 other times. Why does this happen and how can it be fixed other than deleting and backing up again?

Thanks

pm-r
Jan 29th, 2017, 04:47 PM
I don't know what Mac or iDevice you're using, but iCloud is for storage only and has nothing to do with memory if that's what you're asking about.

But I don't think I even understand your question. :o

lewisbriskin
Jan 29th, 2017, 05:47 PM
You are right about 1 thing, it is iCloud storage.
The problem is that when it is backed up onto iCloud storage from my iPhone, my total usage is 1.1 GB but some how it is showing, over time, close to the max of 5GB. I then get a reminder from Apple about the total usage. My question is, why is this happening, when I know that I do not use that much storage and how can I avoid this from happening again.

pm-r
Jan 29th, 2017, 08:40 PM
How many Macs and/or iDevices etc. are you using with your iCloud storage and your Apple ID???

Be aware that it accumulates data from all associated devices and computers.

I think there's a page you can access that gives you all the specific details but I'm not sure where it is as I tend to avoid iCloud like the plague.

Maybe someone will popup with the info here for you.

- Patrick
==========

BReligion
Jan 30th, 2017, 09:33 AM
I think after iOS upgrades it separates the backup and creates a new one... since each backup is of a different OS version.
Keep an eye on it and see if it does it again after the next upgrade.

BReligion

Harvey51
Jun 29th, 2017, 08:19 PM
I've been trying to understand backups, too. Somewhere I read that there is a backup every day and all those separate beckups add up to 5 GB rather easily. If photo backup is not turned on, photos are then included in the main backups. That suggests that you can save iCloud space by turning on separate photo backup, which is only one backup, frequently synchronized with the photos presently on the device(s). I don't think iOS or apps are included in backups - just user data.

eMacMan
Jun 29th, 2017, 10:47 PM
FWIW I would not count on any cloud service as my main photo back-up.

pm-r
Jun 29th, 2017, 11:17 PM
FWIW I would not count on any cloud service as my main photo back-up.

And even for those that just use it for non-critical storage should check what extra charges might have been silently added to one's account when it exceeds anything over a designated limit.

monokitty
Jun 30th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Pay for more iCloud storage if you run out constantly and like to use it. $1.29/month. That's what I do. Works fine.