: Is it doable? Feedback will be much appreciated..

MacUnited
Jan 26th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Hello Folks,

So I have this late 2009 Macbook Pro, that my daughter somehow fried the logicboard. her story is that she connected a USB cable to an old Kodak camera, a msg came that power is too high or something like that and the MacBook Died.
Apple Store can fix for 500+tax so I said forget it.

Now, I have a thought, to freshen up thing a bit and since I've always been interested in Ubuntu but never had the chance to try..

Can I gut out the old component from the MacBook Pro, and build a new ubuntu machine from scratch using the Aluminum unibody as a shell?
what would a reasonable budget for this project? considering I'm no techie and this is not my day job, I'm doing this just for fun kinda thing..
Is it even doable? would there be 3rd party components that would fit inside the MBP?
where should I start? If I should start at all...

aah so many questions! any help would be much appreciated!!

polywog
Jan 26th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Hello Folks,

So I have this late 2009 Macbook Pro, that my daughter somehow fried the logicboard. her story is that she connected a USB cable to an old Kodak camera, a msg came that power is too high or something like that and the MacBook Died.

Now, I have a thought, to freshen up thing a bit and since I've always been interested in Ubuntu but never had the chance to try..

Can I gut out the old component from the MacBook Pro, and build a new ubuntu machine from scratch using the Aluminum unibody as a shell?
what would a reasonable budget for this project? considering I'm no techie and this is not my day job, I'm doing this just for fun kinda thing..
Is it even doable? would there be 3rd party components that would fit inside the MBP?

Given the age of the MBP, why not look for a used MBP of the same vintage with a broken display, and swap parts (praying the board is ok!) You're biggest hurdle would be interfacing a non-Mac board with the display, ports and peripherals. Off the top of my head, I think that MBP had firewire, not a lot of PC boards have that baked in.

You can run Ubuntu just as easily with the mac components and the board etc. will fit in the assembly.

pm-r
Jan 26th, 2017, 06:12 PM

I would very much doubt that was the reason the MBPro died, and the reason the message came up was to prevent any damage and let the user know.

It sounds like you'd be best to visit and read some hacackintosh and modded ubuntu sites are get some suggestions and hints from them if you want to do such OS modding. But maybe pollywog gave you all the info you need.

macintosh doctor
Jan 26th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Hello Folks,

i know a place that does board level repairs - possible a $300 repair. warrantied for 90 days.

MacUnited
Jan 26th, 2017, 09:40 PM
i know a place that does board level repairs - possible a $300 repair. warrantied for 90 days.

Hope this place is in Toronto?

MacUnited
Jan 26th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Given the age of the MBP, why not look for a used MBP of the same vintage with a broken display, and swap parts (praying the board is ok!) You're biggest hurdle would be interfacing a non-Mac board with the display, ports and peripherals. Off the top of my head, I think that MBP had firewire, not a lot of PC boards have that baked in.

You can run Ubuntu just as easily with the mac components and the board etc. will fit in the assembly.

That is a very good idea! Thank you!

BReligion
Jan 27th, 2017, 04:16 PM

Do you mind sharing that info?
I have a mid 2010 that just suddenly gave 3 long 3 short 3 long (If I remember right) beep codes on boot... this was after an Apple Update a couple of years ago.
Called Apple, they said it sounded like a Ram issue. Did some research yup that's what the beep code is, that or corrupted firmware. Took it to the Apple store they said it looks like Ram, definitely not the board. got it to boot in the store then wouldn't boot again. Tried three sets of Ram I have tried in and out of that machine and still doing the beep codes. I've tried alternating banks, tried single bank, both banks... no dice. I wanted to go back to the Apple store and give them crap, but I got sick, time passed and yadda yadda yadda I never went back and have a Mid 2010 mbp sitting collecting dust lol.

BReligion

macintosh doctor
Jan 27th, 2017, 10:14 PM
sent you a private message

hexdiy
Jan 28th, 2017, 09:49 AM

Please describe what you have attempted to start that MBP again. Does it do anything at all?
Maybe you can try a very cheap test: plug an old USB mouse (one with a red led in it) into a USB port. Does the led light up? In that case the power suply at least is running.
You might then try an SMC reset. SMC controls the power as well, so that might blow some life into that MBP again.

Good luck!