: Ink Jet Printer: in grayscale

HenriHelvetica
Jan 10th, 2017, 12:17 AM
For a sec, i was considering getting an inkjet printer simply for grayscale (b/w) prints. I don't see myself printing much, but some days, I just want to write on some paper/do some highlighting (old school).

1. Am I crazy?
2. Will I be burning through the black ink, and just regret it in the long run (rather than buying b/w laser)?

Just saw a $50 wifi inkjet (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/epson-epson-expression-home-wireless-small-in-one-inkjet-printer-xp-330-c11ce60201/10414358.aspx?path=c337f7787dd65226e07c12d4b75ef37 8en02&SearchPageIndex=1), which will run in grayscale. I don't need fancy resolution, just something readable.

H!

John Clay
Jan 10th, 2017, 09:10 AM
1. Am I crazy?

Yes.

2. Will I be burning through the black ink, and just regret it in the long run (rather than buying b/w laser)?

Yes.

Inkjet is a total waste of money. Put your $50 towards a Brother B&W laser instead. It'll last longer and be way cheaper in the long run. And give you a better quality print.

Wireless + Ethernet:
Canada Computers & Electronics | Printers | Brother HL-L2360DW Compact Laser Printer | 32ppm Black, 2400 x 600 DPI, Wireless Networking and Duplex | Print, USB/Ethernet/Wi-Fi Connectivity (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=34_1170_453&item_id=077916)

Or save $30 and just get USB connectivity:
https://www.amazon.ca/Brother-HL-L2320D-Monochrome-Laser-Printer/dp/B00LEA5EHO

HenriHelvetica
Jan 10th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Yes.

Yes.

Inkjet is a total waste of money. Put your $50 towards a Brother B&W laser instead. It'll last longer and be way cheaper in the long run. And give you a better quality print.

Wireless + Ethernet:
Canada Computers & Electronics | Printers | Brother HL-L2360DW Compact Laser Printer | 32ppm Black, 2400 x 600 DPI, Wireless Networking and Duplex | Print, USB/Ethernet/Wi-Fi Connectivity (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=34_1170_453&item_id=077916)

Ha. I was hoping that since I last had one (maybe 20yrs ago), they may have changed and seen some improvements. But maybe the inkjet cartridge fraud is still in effect. Was trying to not break the $100 mark and maybe scoop a sale... and I did see the one you pointed. THX!

H!

John Clay
Jan 10th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Ha. I was hoping that since I last had one (maybe 20yrs ago), they may have changed and seen some improvements. But maybe the inkjet cartridge fraud is still in effect. Was trying to not break the $100 mark and maybe scoop a sale... and I did see the one you pointed. THX!

H!

The biggest issue w/ inkjet printers is that the ink dries up if not used often enough...and they use a fair bit of ink per page anyway. A cheap laser will last years and years with minimal printing - I bought a Brother HL-2040 back in 2007 (got it as a refurb for $50!) and it's still working just fine on the original starter cartridge.

I'd probably pony up the extra $30 for the network capabilities, just to simplify sharing the printer, but that USB-only Amazon link is the cheapest I've seen a laser in a while.

BReligion
Jan 10th, 2017, 11:00 AM
+1 (all over the place on every point... every single point) :)

BReligion

WCraig
Jan 10th, 2017, 11:14 AM
For a sec, i was considering getting an inkjet printer simply for grayscale (b/w) prints. I don't see myself printing much, but some days, I just want to write on some paper/do some highlighting (old school). ...!
Highlighter? Ink will smear! At least it always has on every inkjet I've seen.

Craig

pm-r
Jan 10th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Regardless of which printer you buy, inkjet or laser, and it sounds like the latter would suit your needs better, do make sure it can use third-party ink or toner cartridges so that you aren't held hostage to some super expensive replacement cartridges and the chips they need to work properly.

EDIT:
As I was saying, at least for that Epson XP-330 printer that was mentioned above:

"Epson Expression XP 430, XP 330, XP 434 Series That Use The 288 Cartridge

Epson Expression XP 430, XP 330, XP 434 Series That Use The 288 Cartridge There are no after market products for this model.

Do Not Buy This Model. There are not after market products for any Epson that use the 288 cartridge !"
https://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store441/home.php?cat=210

- Patrick
==========

HenriHelvetica
Jan 20th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Yes.

Yes.

Wireless + Ethernet:

Bumping this thread for some feedback

Is anyone using the linked printers above?? Been reading reviews about wireless printers, and there are some seemingly gloomy outcomes. Just checking to see if any from the Mac side of time can vouch for these or ANY one in particular.

Had an HP1102 back in the day which I ran wirelessly via Airport Express, but that model is long discontinued.

Saw a few Brothers on sale (and some refurbs from the Brother). But between poor support (online and docs), to mess wireless.... just making sure I'm not going to pay for pull my hair out.

Thx.

pm-r
Jan 20th, 2017, 03:00 PM

Regardless of brand or model, do be sure to check with the manufacturer that the model is compatible with the Mac OS X version that you're using.
And then there's also Apple's support list you can check out:
Printer and scanner software for macOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mavericks
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201465

The price of consumables is also a consideration I pay attention to and the use of cheaper third party products is a must for me.

I've generally had or experienced good support with Brother printer products and they seem to keep up with Mac support better than some others.

- Patrick
==========

dtaylor
Jan 21st, 2017, 11:36 PM

Is anyone using the linked printers above?? Been reading reviews about wireless printers, and there are some seemingly gloomy outcomes. Just checking to see if any from the Mac side of time can vouch for these or ANY one in particular.

Had an HP1102 back in the day which I ran wirelessly via Airport Express, but that model is long discontinued.

Saw a few Brothers on sale (and some refurbs from the Brother). But between poor support (online and docs), to mess wireless.... just making sure I'm not going to pay for pull my hair out.

Thx.

I suspect you won't go wrong with either of those Brother printers, especially if you're using Airport printing.

I'm currently running an HL-2270DW (which may be the predecessor of the 2360DW), and ran the HL-2040 for years before that (which is still going strong with its new owner). Both have been rock-solid.

Although it is wifi capable, I never bothered connecting the 2270DW to wifi; only ethernet or by USB to my Airport Extreme.

SINC
Jan 22nd, 2017, 06:49 AM
I bought a Samsun ML-2160 series laser printer I bought on sale for $89 four years ago. The small toner cartridge that came with it lasted nearly two years. Now with a new cartridge that cost $89, it is three quarters full after two years of use. On average I print about three items a day. A very economical printer that I use out in my garage. I can easily print from the house to the printer some 50 feet away in another building via wifi.

HenriHelvetica
Jan 24th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Regardless of brand or model, do be sure to check with the manufacturer that the model is compatible with the Mac OS X version that you're using.
And then there's also Apple's support list you can check out:
Printer and scanner software for macOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mavericks
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201465

The price of consumables is also a consideration I pay attention to and the use of cheaper third party products is a must for me.

I've generally had or experienced good support with Brother printer products and they seem to keep up with Mac support better than some others.

- Patrick
==========

I did. Long list. But dove into some user feedback. Some scary comments out there. Mostly around the wifi capabilities of said compatible printers. But I bet the USB connection seem to be pretty solid.

SINC
Jan 24th, 2017, 09:48 PM
I did. Long list. But dove into some user feedback. Some scary comments out there. Mostly around the wifi capabilities of said compatible printers. But I bet the USB connection seem to be pretty solid.

Yep, I lose my wifi connection about once a week and have to restart the printer.

pm-r
Jan 24th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Yep, I lose my wifi connection about once a week and have to restart the printer.

Hmmm…??? I haven't come across anyone having such a problem, and certainly no such episodes with our Canon MG5620 AIO.

SINC
Jan 25th, 2017, 04:59 AM
Hmmm…??? I haven't come across anyone having such a problem, and certainly no such episodes with our Canon MG5620 AIO.

Hmmmm, is your printer 75 feet away in a separate building from your home like mine is? Also it depends on an Airport Express to boost the signal.

My second printer in the house has no such issue. It's the distance that makes it unstable. ;)

Add to that the 29 visible networks in surrounding homes it has to compete with, as you can see below.

pm-r
Jan 25th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Hmmmm, is your printer 75 feet away in a separate building from your home like mine is?

Ahhh… no. But I would think that may be pushing the range limits some what.

But that's an interesting point, and I don't recall many, if any wireless printers including the normal range in their specs.

Heck, a lot don't even mention if their wireless printers are using Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi.

BTW: That sure does seem like a lot of networks for a quiet residential house type neighborhood.

SINC
Jan 26th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Just thought to check the signal strength of the Airport Express out in the shop which shows about 85% on my MBP when out there.

Today I decided to check the signal strength back here in the house where the Apple Extreme shows at 86%, but the surprise is that the Airport Express out in the shop in bridge mode still shows a signal strength here in the house of 63%. I would say that is pretty good for for going through the walls of two buildings to get here.