: Good News For Mac Desktop Users

SINC
Dec 20th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Apple’s Tim Cook assures employees that it is committed to the Mac and that ‘great desktops’ are coming

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/19/apples-tim-cook-assures-employees-that-it-is-committed-to-the-mac-and-that-great-desktops-are-coming/

wonderings
Dec 20th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Apple’s Tim Cook assures employees that it is committed to the Mac and that ‘great desktops’ are coming

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/19/apples-tim-cook-assures-employees-that-it-is-committed-to-the-mac-and-that-great-desktops-are-coming/

The problem is what Apple thinks is great is not what the "pro" users think is great. New emojis is "great" for MacOS or a touchbar that is not practical for use on anything other then a laptop... and even then I don't see how it would change my life much for my uses, though I would conceded that if proven wrong.

Though I am happy at least to hear mention of desktops and still have a glimmer of hope that they will do something great!

pm-r
Dec 20th, 2016, 07:02 PM
It seems a bit odd to me that he'd be having to mention it to his own employees…"In a posting to an employee message board, CEO Tim Cook seems intent on putting that particular branch of discussion to bed."

One would tend to think that they would know what's going on, otherwise management has a pretty bad problem with communication — the demise of every product and/or company.

And I would agree…
The problem is what Apple thinks is great…

Bigmac02
Dec 20th, 2016, 08:55 PM
I wrote/begged on LEM (low end macs) for demonstration to consider a super-flexible\?fash ionable mac😃

pm-r
Dec 20th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Yup…

Tim Cook tells desktop Mac fans not worry, says Apple has ‘great desktops’ in its roadmap…

https://9to5mac.com/2016/12/19/tim-cook-talks-future-of-mac-desktop-lineup/

wonderings
Dec 21st, 2016, 10:21 AM
Apple just seems to be feeling to proud of themselves these days, feeling to high and mighty, the bright light in the world of darkness. Even their events and how they talk about their products has become annoying. Sure they changed technology and started the smart phone trend and tablet trend... or at least boosted it and brought it to where it is today. They have not done anything like that since the iPad and that was 2010 I believe.

"I think it’s that “change the world” attitude and boldness that’s deeply embedded in our culture, that “good isn’t good enough.” All of this is the fuel for everything else that we do. "

monokitty
Dec 21st, 2016, 11:28 AM
Up-to-date interfaces (USB-C) and a more modern CPU, GPU and RAM is really all that is needed for an iMac update. They don't need to redesign it again for early 2017.

wonderings
Dec 21st, 2016, 11:54 AM
Up-to-date interfaces (USB-C) and a more modern CPU, GPU and RAM is really all that is needed for an iMac update. They don't need to redesign it again for early 2017.

I would like Apple to start thinking beyond what they are doing, not sure what that would entail, but they certainly have not been thinking different for a long time.

One change I would like to the iMac, outside of the ports and specs is a thinner bezel. As much as I like my 5K iMac, it just looks so dated now with the thick black bezel around the edges.

pm-r
Dec 21st, 2016, 02:41 PM
One change I would like to the iMac, outside of the ports and specs is a thinner bezel. As much as I like my 5K iMac, it just looks so dated now with the thick black bezel around the edges.

Good grief!!! Such an advance that would be almost as good and useful as adding a few hundreds of emojis and and maybe a touch bar. :o

And the designers will tell you that buffer strip needs to be there so that the pointer doesn't go flying off the edge of the display. That is until His Highness, Sir Jony Ive says it must go. Then it shall be gone. Maybe… :D

wonderings
Dec 21st, 2016, 04:25 PM
Good grief!!! Such an advance that would be almost as good and useful as adding a few hundreds of emojis and and maybe a touch bar. :o

Yes not a useful upgrade, but at least an aesthetic upgrade I can appreciate. Seems to be all Apple does these days, make it look prettier while adding nothing or taking away features.

SINC
Dec 22nd, 2016, 09:21 AM
I came across this old video online today and thought of this thread. Could it be that Steve Jobs himself, way back then was predicting the Apple of today? If not it is still food for thought.

-AxZofbMGpM

CubaMark
Dec 22nd, 2016, 11:29 AM
A great - and sadly prescient - find, SINC.

Dec 22nd, 2016, 01:08 PM
Tim Cook assures _employees_ that the Mac is still alive, because Apple has put the Mac on the backburner, so he had to assure them that they hadn't given up..

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/20/apple-mac-development-on-the-back-burner/

Sounds like a more full story when you put both those facts/articles together.

pm-r
Dec 22nd, 2016, 01:58 PM
I came across this old video online today and thought of this thread.

Nice find!!! Sure hadn't seen that one before.

Thanks.

wonderings
Dec 24th, 2016, 10:54 AM
A great - and sadly prescient - find, SINC.

Definitely feels like where Apple is now. Just read an article on CNN that consumer reports could not recommend the new MacBook Pro with touch at. Apparently battery life is all over the map, from 19 hours to 4 hours.

hexdiy
Dec 24th, 2016, 04:35 PM
These battery life inconsistencies are probably well-explained by Safari and consorts blabbering away erratically all the time, reporting to iCloud & Apple servers, constantly performing machine checks to search for software updates & the likes. Not to mention Handoff & consorts blabbering away to all kinds of networks & network gear

These combined systems are getting so complex, they can drain your battery in a jiffy.

My dinosaur 2006 MacBook under Snow Leopard would rev its fans to 6000 RPM relentlessly until I merely installed Little Snitch and streamlined it rules not to report to the Apple Mother Ship unless I requested it to.
Yes, you get me right: manual update requests, no chit-chatting with every odd network or Bluetooth device unless specifically ordered by myself, the captain so to speak.

It seems very odd to me that most (younger) users can do this flawlessly with their iDevices, but not even think of the battery consequences on their MBPs & Airs...

Hey folks, at least empathise a tiny bit with your system!

ehMax
Dec 30th, 2016, 05:17 PM
I came across this old video online today and thought of this thread. Could it be that Steve Jobs himself, way back then was predicting the Apple of today? If not it is still food for thought.

-AxZofbMGpM

A very good find SINC.

I'm not optomistic at all that Tim Cook and co. can deliver any exciting new products. Steve Jobs WAS that product guy at Apple that steered the ship to exciting new products. It feels like there hasn't been a singe really exciting new product from Apple in the past 5 years. I no longer get excited for Apple keynotes.

Don't get me wrong... still love my iPhone and my main computer is still a Mac, but I can't remember the last time I got really excited for a new product from Apple.

SINC
Dec 31st, 2016, 04:25 PM
Apparently Wall Street is not impressed either.

Apple’s bulletproof Wall Street growth story came to a halt this year

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/21/apples-bulletproof-wall-street-growth-story-came-to-a-halt-this-year/

polywog
Dec 31st, 2016, 04:37 PM
A very good find SINC.

I'm not optomistic at all that Tim Cook and co. can deliver any exciting new products. Steve Jobs WAS that product guy at Apple that steered the ship to exciting new products. It feels like there hasn't been a singe really exciting new product from Apple in the past 5 years. I no longer get excited for Apple keynotes.

Don't get me wrong... still love my iPhone and my main computer is still a Mac, but I can't remember the last time I got really excited for a new product from Apple.

I just got an Apple Watch, and rather like it, I was pretty excited by that keynote.

What strikes me though, is that post Jobs, so many things get left behind. The things that got them where they are get cast in a corner for the new bling. Take the desktop situation as an example. It will come back and bite them.

I never had the feeling Jobs catered to investors/shareholders. They were the benefactors of Apple giving consumers what they wanted. The new Apple, not so much. They're just doing what the market expects, and it will sink them.

DIS Ottawa
Jan 4th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Am I the only one thinking of jumping ship and going back to Windows? My iMac will soon be 4 years old and while still running well, it will be time to replace it either this year or next.

I see no indication that Apple is going to do anything other than put a slightly faster processor, slightly faster memory and slightly faster storage in the updated iMac. There is very little innovation going on in the Mac side of their business.

I haven't looked at Windows machines much in the past few years, but there does seem to be more innovation there.

pm-r
Jan 4th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Am I the only one thinking of jumping ship and going back to Windows? My iMac will soon be 4 years old and while still running well, it will be time to replace it either this year or next.

What exactly are you looking for or expecting or even wanting???

Maybe have a read here:
What Computer Innovation and Fracking Have in Common [Excerpt]
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-computer-innovation-and-fracking-have-in-common-excerpt/

DIS Ottawa
Jan 4th, 2017, 04:22 PM
I don't know exactly - not being a product planner - but some indication that Apple is at least putting some effort into developing the Mac line, both hardware and software. Killing off Aperture was a bad sign.

wonderings
Jan 4th, 2017, 04:28 PM
What exactly are you looking for or expecting or even wanting???

Maybe have a read here:
What Computer Innovation and Fracking Have in Common [Excerpt]
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-computer-innovation-and-fracking-have-in-common-excerpt/

I am expecting Apple to continue to push and make things that make my life easier. If I knew what it was I would be making the billions they are. Apple used to be ever evolving coming out with better machines that made life easier, especially in a prod environment. The G4 towers were amazing and really like the G5 powermacs when they came out. iMacs were nice machines, MacBook Pros solid and easy to upgrade the little things like a hard drive or RAM. They worked along side solid hardware and a solid OS. These days the OS while it rarely crashes, it has started going backwards. Removing simple features, adding multiple clicks to do what used to take 1 or 2. Little glitchy things in Mail, etc etc.

If I did not have so much invested in software I would be considering it down the line, giving Windows a try. I like Windows 10, not as much as OS X, but a lot of that is my familiarity with OS X and using it since 10.0.

I feel Apple is out of touch. I looked at the MacBook Pro with the touchbar last week and have to say I don't get it. At least for my line of work. The only benefit is for someone who works off a laptop screen and even then not sure how much it will actually do. The touchbar is limited to a laptop, no benefits to a desktop as you would not be moving backwards. Instead of looking at the screens while you type, you would be forced to look down for any button you need on the touchbar.

Not sure if anyone has watched the recent releases from Microsoft, but they are pretty good. Niche market stuff, but at least they are pushing the boundaries. I think there iMac surface big screen whatever you call it is a nice machine and looks good as well. Not for me, but I can appreciate the effort and what they are trying to do.

DIS Ottawa
Jan 4th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Right; I don't necessarily want the products Microsoft is putting out right now but at least there is some evidence of trying something new, dare I say "thinking different"?

wonderings
Jan 4th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Right; I don't necessarily want the products Microsoft is putting out right now but at least there is some evidence of trying something new, dare I say "thinking different"?

Exactly right. We have not come full circle by any account, but Microsoft certainly seems to be doing a lot more "think different" ing then Apple. Apple comes across as arrogant these days with every release be a gift from the gods and the best thing in the world that will enrich your very soul!

CubaMark
Jan 4th, 2017, 11:29 PM
I'm not exactly happy with what Apple has done recently, nor what it appears it will/won't do in the coming months... I seethe with rage over the destruction and iOS-ification of what used to be usable apps (the iWork suite of Pages, Keynote and Numbers in particular).

But no way in hell will I consider a jump to Windows. That's a combination of the permanent stain on my psyche of having to work with Windows machines stretching back to Win 3.1 (and I once had a gig as a university support person for PC labs, and set up LANs of Windows machines. ugh.).

I'll wait... my gear is still doing what it needs to do; iWork '09 still works fine under macOS Sierra. I'm hopeful I can talk my department head into upgrading my iMac to a new 4k or 5k model within the next year.

Even with the dumbing-down / consumerification of macOS, it remains a damn sight better than Windows 10 to me.

Patience, grasshopper. Seek your personal Zen. All things will come to those who wait.

And for the impatient, consider elementaryOS (https://elementary.io).

DIS Ottawa
Jan 5th, 2017, 12:20 AM
Perhaps I'm looking back at Windows through rose coloured glasses to some degree. I haven't used Windows in any meaningful way since 2009 or so and it doesn't seem that bad, at least from this distance. And the current version, with it's Hello function, Cortana and use of touch seems at least worth a look. The touch bar on the latest Macbook Pro seemed underwhelming when I tried it (admittedly very briefly) at the local Apple store, and that seems to be the extent of innovation for the Mac. Everything else has been a minor tweak or speed increase. Essentially the look and function of both MacBook Pros and iMacs hasn't changed in any significant way in many, many years.

Apple's obsession with small, thin and light at the expense of all other considerations is not a good direction, in my opinion. Their disinterest in the Mac in general and the desktop Macs in particular, the abandonment of the pro/creative market in favour of the mass market, and as you said, Cuba Mark, the general dumbing down of macOS makes me reconsider my commitment to Apple and their products. On the other hand, I am deeply embedded in the Apple ecosystem, with an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Airport Time Capule and two computers makes switching to Windows a non-trivial endeavour.

I'm hoping that Apple will actually devote some resources to the Mac side of things but I don't realistically expect it.

JAMG
Jan 5th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Sadly Apple has introduced underwhelming features while while creating incompatibility to force users to upgrade. My iMac will stay at Snow leopard as upgrading will make it incompatible with its current setup. Ugrading my iPads and iPhones has made them unable to connect with my iTunes library so I cannot add music to my mobiles unless I rebuy it from apple. Sorry, don't need it that bad.

I'll upgrade when I buy a new iMac but the current model will run as long as it runs. I do not ned the latest greatest at home and little in the last decade has become a must have.

wonderings
Jan 5th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Sadly Apple has introduced underwhelming features while while creating incompatibility to force users to upgrade. My iMac will stay at Snow leopard as upgrading will make it incompatible with its current setup. Ugrading my iPads and iPhones has made them unable to connect with my iTunes library so I cannot add music to my mobiles unless I rebuy it from apple. Sorry, don't need it that bad.

I'll upgrade when I buy a new iMac but the current model will run as long as it runs. I do not ned the latest greatest at home and little in the last decade has become a must have.

Well I think you can use iTunes match with snow leopard, so if you use that you will get all your content on all your devices with no need to ever plug in your phone or iPad to iTunes.

JAMG
Jan 5th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Well I think you can use iTunes match with snow leopard, so if you use that you will get all your content on all your devices with no need to ever plug in your phone or iPad to iTunes.

So far the main function/improvement of the new iOS seems to be to remind me 3 times a day to upgrade something... usually itself.. it is as bad as the xBox 1s which has reignited my hatred of Microsoft.

pm-r
Jan 5th, 2017, 02:52 PM
So far the main function/improvement of the new iOS seems to be to remind me 3 times a day to upgrade something... usually itself..

If you ever find a way to disable that "feature" that keeps popping up on my old iPad 2, I'll owe you big time.

I'm almost tempted to jailbreak it again and one of several reasons I've kept it using an older iOS version so that I still can.

I spent/wasted over a week trying to get the things I use and like working with the latest Safari OS and finally went back to using Mavericks, and I still have Snow Leopard on a different partition to use when and if things get worse.

CubaMark
Jan 5th, 2017, 03:06 PM
....remind me 3 times a day to upgrade something... usually itself.. it is as bad as the xBox 1s which has reignited my hatred of Microsoft.

A friend who invites me over to play Halo has this issue. Every single friggin' time he turned the thing on, there was a gigabyte or so of updates to install. Pain in the ass.

wonderings
Jan 5th, 2017, 04:07 PM
A friend who invites me over to play Halo has this issue. Every single friggin' time he turned the thing on, there was a gigabyte or so of updates to install. Pain in the ass.

Same thing happens with PS4, at least for me. I am not a hardcore gamer but still have a lot of games. If I pull something out I have not played in a month or 2 there is always as massive update that downloads so slow even on my 100mb connection. Gone are the days of plug the cartridge in and play a few seconds later!

JAMG
Jan 6th, 2017, 01:42 PM
The problem seems to be with the user login. I set it to require my email and password which them require I be online and that auto initiates all downloads. I set it to the medium security and my kids only need a 6 digit code to login as user but play offline.

It is a freakin' vido game, I do not want my kids interacting with random people online.