: New MacBook 12"

macintosh doctor
Dec 1st, 2016, 09:55 PM
I just ordered a new MacBook 12" m7 8/512 for my wife.
sold her Macbook Air 13 8/512

but an apple refurb for $1859 - sold the air for 1100 - so excited to get it.

gwillikers
Dec 1st, 2016, 10:46 PM
I just ordered a new MacBook 12" m7 8/512 for my wife.
sold her Macbook Air 13 8/512

but an apple refurb for $1859 - sold the air for 1100 - so excited to get it.

Did you not like the AIR? I bought my wife one last year and she loves it.

macintosh doctor
Dec 1st, 2016, 11:08 PM
Did you not like the AIR? I bought my wife one last year and she loves it.

i do love it but, based on the way apple is going and our air was a 2013 or 2014
i bought the new touch - i did want 2 sets up accessories and cabling for each of us
i rather have one set we could share..
so I am selling off all of our non USB-c, non thunderbolt3, magsafe stuff.

embracing life with bags of dongles lol - its the future! :lmao:
besides new MacBook 12" suits her lifestyle - surfing, emails, letter etc
plus kid use it for school type work and they wanted the retina display

gwillikers
Dec 2nd, 2016, 02:15 AM
Ah, I understand.

I'm in a real quandary with my upgraded 2009 Mac Pro. Waiting for Apple has become painful. Who really knows where they're heading these days? Their product line has never been more stagnant and unappealing to me. :confused:

CubaMark
Dec 2nd, 2016, 03:23 AM
I was surprised to see the MacPro get no love (even an off-stage, non-announced, just-appear-on-the-Apple-Store-website update) when the major update to Final Cut Pro was announced.

Then I remember that I first began to edit video on a PowerMac 8100/100-based AVID Media Composer system back in the '90s.... even with the upscale to HD / 4K / 5K video, processing power has grown even more quickly. So in that respect, an iMac (with enough RAM and a few other tweaks) is a viable machine for all but the most demanding environments.

But darnit, we want Apple to wow us..... right?

HowEver
Dec 2nd, 2016, 09:49 AM
The 12" is a fantastic form factor--with retina screen. If you go by specs it would seem underpowered but it really isn't for 95% of what people do on a computer.

macintosh doctor
Dec 2nd, 2016, 10:39 AM
Yup - i agree - seems Tim cook only cares about iDevices lately - pure profit for them.
I have many a client who are about to jump ship because of the lack of attention - most of them are all video and graphics crew.. but yes the iMac is a viable alternative for those in the less demanding sectors but that can't last long either, most need the mac pro for obvious reasons - eventually enough folks will be pissed off and leave.

here is a perfect example of how my clients are reacting.. apple announces products then you have to wait a month to receive custom configs lol
then when you receive them - non of your externals or the power adaptors will work lol
so you have to reinvest in adaptors.

wonderings
Dec 2nd, 2016, 11:07 AM
The 12" is a fantastic form factor--with retina screen. If you go by specs it would seem underpowered but it really isn't for 95% of what people do on a computer.

I agree, the form factor is fantastic and love that screen, but spec wise it is not up to par in my opinion. Now put a MacBook Air specs while keeping the Retina screen in a MacBook then you have a fantastic little device. If a MacBook Air had a Retina screen I would order one today.

macintosh doctor
Dec 2nd, 2016, 11:56 AM
I agree, the form factor is fantastic and love that screen, but spec wise it is not up to par in my opinion. Now put a MacBook Air specs while keeping the Retina screen in a MacBook then you have a fantastic little device. If a MacBook Air had a Retina screen I would order one today.

consider the air - gasping for life..
it is done - finished. as Phil said during the announcements that the new touch laptops are
smaller, faster..

macintosh doctor
Dec 5th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Just set up the MacBook 12" - love it love it love it..
1.3 Ghz m7 - 8GB/512GB
i am truly impressed.

i will enjoy this machine until my MB pro 13 touch shows up.

HenriHelvetica
Dec 13th, 2016, 11:02 AM
consider the air - gasping for life..
it is done - finished. as Phil said during the announcements that the new touch laptops are
smaller, faster..

Why is the Air done?? I'm very curious.

The i7 Air is still a formidable device - by any standards. 8GB RAM and 512 PCIe x 4? How is this a dead device gasping for Air??

I need to consult w/ a few devs I know who (rare as they are) are using the 12" as a dev machine - even running PS. I certainly loved the size, but didn't have faith in the lower spec setup.

H!

wonderings
Dec 13th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Why is the Air done?? I'm very curious.

The i7 Air is still a formidable device - by any standards. 8GB RAM and 512 PCIe x 4? How is this a dead device gasping for Air??

H!

It is long overdue for an update. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it had a Retina display. I agree, fantastic specs, but Apple no longer seems interested in things people actually want. The MacBook really should have been the MacBook Air update with the same great specs of the MacBook Air. The Air seems a bit redundant now when a MacBook is much thinner then the MacBook Air. If anything, the names should be swapped if Apple does keep both.

HenriHelvetica
Dec 13th, 2016, 11:46 AM
It is long overdue for an update. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it had a Retina display. I agree, fantastic specs, but Apple no longer seems interested in things people actually want. The MacBook really should have been the MacBook Air update with the same great specs of the MacBook Air. The Air seems a bit redundant now when a MacBook is much thinner then the MacBook Air. If anything, the names should be swapped if Apple does keep both.

Is/was it due for an update? You bet. But I'm scared at what  is thinking. I 1/2 way loved the reintroduction of the 12" again. And as much as I do value a retina screen, for someone who makes a living on the web, so many sites aren't even coded for retina - and any many more aren't done properly.

And maybe I need to play with one a bit, but the idea of Retina™ on a small 12" screen isn't that enticing. Doesn't power a 2nd monitor as well as an Air. And they might be driving Air users who want to muscle up to the MBP, but that new one is over priced (my current feeling) - though I like the form factor. But this push to keep going smaller is bizarre. We did this w/ cell phones, and swung right back around...

H!

wonderings
Dec 13th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Is/was it due for an update? You bet. But I'm scared at what  is thinking. I 1/2 way loved the reintroduction of the 12" again. And as much as I do value a retina screen, for someone who makes a living on the web, so many sites aren't even coded for retina - and any many more aren't done properly.

And maybe I need to play with one a bit, but the idea of Retina™ on a small 12" screen isn't that enticing. Doesn't power a 2nd monitor as well as an Air. And they might be driving Air users who want to muscle up to the MBP, but that new one is over priced (my current feeling) - though I like the form factor. But this push to keep going smaller is bizarre. We did this w/ cell phones, and swung right back around...

H!

I am not thrilled with Apples direction when it comes to computers be it desktop or laptops. There used to be much more innovation going on that actually made my life better, especially with OS X. That stopped years ago though.

I work all day on a 5K iMac, and never have issues with websites, everything just looks clean and sharp and I cannot imagine going back to regular HD. I like the size of the MacBooks, in fact love the design overall, minus the lack of ports, which I could live with if it had a better processor and an option for more RAM. I think Apple has tilted to far over towards form rather then function. They used to have a nice blend of the two, beautiful yet functional. The very idea that the MacBook PRO is limited to 16 gigs of RAM is crazy in my opinion. Many will not need more then that, but there are a bunch of pro users who would love as much RAM as they can squeeze in. I used a MacBook Pro for years, starting with the first unibody and up to the first Retina Display MacBook Pro that I maxed out with largest flash drive and RAM. Still a great computer but I needed more so opted to get away from laptops to a desktop iMac where at least I could change the RAM myself.

HenriHelvetica
Dec 13th, 2016, 01:48 PM
I am not thrilled with Apples direction when it comes to computers be it desktop or laptops. There used to be much more innovation going on that actually made my life better, especially with OS X. That stopped years ago though.

I work all day on a 5K iMac, and never have issues with websites, everything just looks clean and sharp and I cannot imagine going back to regular HD. I like the size of the MacBooks, in fact love the design overall, minus the lack of ports, which I could live with if it had a better processor and an option for more RAM. I think Apple has tilted to far over towards form rather then function. They used to have a nice blend of the two, beautiful yet functional. The very idea that the MacBook PRO is limited to 16 gigs of RAM is crazy in my opinion. Many will not need more then that, but there are a bunch of pro users who would love as much RAM as they can squeeze in. I used a MacBook Pro for years, starting with the first unibody and up to the first Retina Display MacBook Pro that I maxed out with largest flash drive and RAM. Still a great computer but I needed more so opted to get away from laptops to a desktop iMac where at least I could change the RAM myself.

I worked on a dual 27" retina/non retina (https://www.instagram.com/p/BDD_sVQAeB3/) tethered setup until recently and I get it. Just a comment on retina and small screens not possibly being awesome.
Was reading a pretty detailed piece on why 32G RAM laps would be tough trying to keep these new small form factors and small batteries. On  to deal with I guess.
This could be a case of the embarrassment of riches honestly, seeing that a 32G capable unit would prob send prices soaring. Oh well - i'll have to decide semi soon. I'm growing tired of this 1280px '08 Macbook ... #kanyeShrug

wonderings
Dec 13th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I worked on a dual 27" retina/non retina (https://www.instagram.com/p/BDD_sVQAeB3/) tethered setup until recently and I get it. Just a comment on retina and small screens not possibly being awesome.
Was reading a pretty detailed piece on why 32G RAM laps would be tough trying to keep these new small form factors and small batteries. On  to deal with I guess.
This could be a case of the embarrassment of riches honestly, seeing that a 32G capable unit would prob send prices soaring. Oh well - i'll have to decide semi soon. I'm growing tired of this 1280px '08 Macbook ... #kanyeShrug

I don't think we need ultra tiny laptops for pro machines. This is again form over function. I have the original Retina MacBook Pro 15" and the size is great, still slim and lightweight and I am pretty sure Apple could have fit 32 gigs of ram in there if they wanted. Being thin is not everything, especially when it takes away from performance. Apple needs to get back to blending performance and function.

pm-r
Dec 13th, 2016, 03:40 PM
I am pretty sure Apple could have fit 32 gigs of ram in there if they wanted

Apparently, from what I've read, unless it's some Apple BS, once the capabilities of utilizing anything over 16GB RAM with current hardware, the battery drain becomes excessive and some things can actually slow down — go figure???

If so, why use SSDs then…???

And unfortunately I'll have to agree with the comment above — Apple no longer seems interested in things people actually want. Sad!!

PS: I give His Highness Sir Jonathan Paul "Jony" Ive, KBE, maybe another three or four years at Apple and then maybe some things might improve.

wonderings
Dec 13th, 2016, 04:01 PM
PS: I give His Highness Sir Jonathan Paul "Jony" Ive, KBE, maybe another three or four years at Apple and then maybe some things might improve.

Why is that? Apple seems to be having consistent record years. From a financial standpoint why change if it is bringing in loads of money? Like the Maple Leafs. They constantly sell out, every game, no matter how badly they do, people still pay for seats.