: Sierra

lebeau99
Nov 25th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Do I have to upgrade to El Cap before I upgrade to Sierra?
And is this a worthy upgrade to my MBP 10.10?
Thanks

monokitty
Nov 25th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Do I have to upgrade to El Cap before I upgrade to Sierra?
And is this a worthy upgrade to my MBP 10.10?
Thanks

Sierra requires a base operating system of 10.7 or later, so no, not necessarily. Sierra runs best on 8GB RAM and SSD or better.

eMacMan
Nov 25th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Always two schools of thought. Some of us like to find a stable point and remain there for as long as we possibly can. Causes some pain when eventually we have to upgrade. I am still keeping one computer on Snow Leopard just cause it still works with my ancient Epson Scanner and allows me to use AppleWorks.

Others like to be bleeding edge. One general rule is an up to date fully tested bootable clone of the current OS should be in place before you do any upgrades. This makes for a far easier method to revert to the old should you not like the new and improved. Do not write over or update this clone for any reason until you know everything works properly in your new world.

SINC
Nov 25th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Others like to be bleeding edge. One general rule is an up to date fully tested bootable clone of the current OS should be in place before you do any upgrades. This makes for a far easier method to revert to the old should you not like the new and improved. Do not write over or update this clone for any reason until you know everything works properly in your new world.

This is always my chosen method. I have already made the leap to Sierra (and gone back to El Capitan) three times now. While I like the features in Sierra, my issue is always with my RapidWeaver app which I use to compose my web site. So far it has not performed well enough for me to remain on Sierra, so back to El Cap it was for me. I am now awaiting December 1 when my RW file will be at its smallest volume as it grows by a bit every day until month end as I add material.

First use always involves uploading the entire site with two months postings that usually involves about 600 files as RW is not backwards compatible with the version before it, thus the wait for month end.

Hopefully this time RW works to my liking as the restore always takes a lot of time after a two day test to be sure it does not upload anything but 20 changes or so, not the full 600 files again on day two.

I never have issues with the new Apple OS, it is always with the RealMac folks who can't seem to get the early RW versions right.

eMacMan
Nov 25th, 2016, 02:51 PM
This is always my chosen method. I have already made the leap to Sierra (and gone back to El Capitan) three times now. While I like the features in Sierra, my issue is always with my RapidWeaver app which I use to compose my web site. So far it has not performed well enough for me to remain on Sierra, so back to El Cap it was for me. I am now awaiting December 1 when my RW file will be at its smallest volume as it grows by a bit every day until month end as I add material.

First use always involves uploading the entire site with two months postings that usually involves about 600 files as RW is not backwards compatible with the version before it, thus the wait for month end.

Hopefully this time RW works to my liking as the restore always takes a lot of time after a two day test to be sure it does not upload anything but 20 changes or so, not the full 600 files again on day two.

I never have issues with the new Apple OS, it is always with the RealMac folks who can't seem to get the early RW versions right.

This is most often true. It may be a scanner, an all-in-one printer, a projector, or a crucial software suite that fails with a new OS. Hence the cautious approach with a well tested clone in place prior to updating.

lebeau99
Nov 25th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Thanks all. I tremble. 3 replies from members with a total of over 100,000 posts and all of whose inputs I continue to respect. (Blush.)
I too like a solid base and am reluctant to move on for the sake of moving on. I kept 10.6 on my old MB until it died. I do have 16GB of RAM on this MBP so it could handle Sierra.
We have an iMac 10.9 with 8GB of RAM so that would work too.
I have yesterday done CCC backups on both. I will also soon be using Time Machine more, following advice on ehmac. We make moderate demands of our computers : GarageBand, Photos, Keynote, etc. and hardly any non-Mac apps.
Looks like it's up to me but as you say, I can alway try it and if it doesn't do what I want, I can go back.

pm-r
Nov 25th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I'd also suggest looking at Sierra's "new and improved" features and see if you even want or need any of them. I don't and it already is needing some fixes which might come with some update soon, but I didn't even like El Capitan very much and it has nothing new that I want or need or even works better.

I do however as mentioned, always keep a working volume of older OS X versions and would reinforce that method, and have Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion (hardly ever used) and Mavericks on my 2011 27" iMac and iTB HDD and El Capitan (which I don't like or enjoy much) on my old 2007 MBPro with a SSD, but it doesn't get much use except for portable uses.

eMacMan
Nov 25th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Something Apple really needs to do is change the tiny post-Mountain-Lion dots back to real colored labels. Those dots are useless!

AFAIK Sierra does not address this.

pm-r
Nov 25th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Something Apple really needs to do is change the tiny post-Mountain-Lion dots back to real colored labels. Those dots are useless!

AFAIK Sierra does not address this.

Same old, same old and no real options provided unless one wants to try using some third party add-on utilities it seems:

GET THOSE NICE BRIGHT MACOS FINDER LABEL COLORS BACK
http://www.provideocoalition.com/get-those-nice-bright-macos-finder-label-colors-back/

How to Make OS Xs Finder Tags Work for You
How to Make OS Xs Finder Tags Work for You (http://www.howtogeek.com/212444/how-to-make-os-xs-finder-tags-work-for-you/)

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25325?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25483?locale=en_CA

SINC
Dec 23rd, 2016, 09:32 AM
Just this morning using latest version of Sierra 10.12.2, this weird thing happened. I had two items on my desktop I wanted to trash and I highlighted them and used command/shift/delete as always. Much to my surprise I got the warning shown below and the two files would not move to the trash, so I tried dragging them and got the same result.

So, I thought, I will just restart and solve the issue. No dice there either as you can see by the second screen shot as it refused to restart. Only way out was to hold down the power button and do a full force quit. Never seen such a thing before.

Nothing was open at the time but the Finder.

This on a 2.8 Ghz mid 2015 i7 with 16 GB RAM with 1 TB SSD, bought new in July of 2016.

Wonder what is up with that?

eMacMan
Dec 23rd, 2016, 11:04 AM
Don I would have hit: Command-option-escape, before a forced restart. The miscreant process might have revealed itself and you could have killed it.

Had you been able to open activity monitor you might have spotted the problem. Time Machine and Spotlight are two that sometimes hang, but there are other possibilities.

Crash log could be revealing if too much time has not passed.

hexdiy
Dec 24th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Error -43 means "file not found". Did you happen to double-click on a file in order to open it? Did you happen to have an external Time Machine Disk or Time Capsule attached?

Try opening the application you need for it to open first, next open your file from the menu bar. If the issue persists, try switching off WiFi & Bluetooth, Handoff, Airplay, File Sharing, the works.

This week I've been getting reports of a possible bug in Sierra 10.12.2 that will not let you open a Time Capsule file just by double-clicking. In my reports double-clicking resulted in a -36 (I/O error).

List Of Mac OS X Error Codes - krypted.com (http://krypted.com/lists/comprehensive-list-of-mac-os-x-error-codes/)

Good luck and a merry Xmas to you!

polywog
Dec 24th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Are you syncing Desktop to iCloud? Maybe there's a sync error in console related to those files.

SINC
Dec 24th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Error -43 means "file not found". Did you happen to double-click on a file in order to open it? Did you happen to have an external Time Machine Disk or Time Capsule attached?

Try opening the application you need for it to open first, next open your file from the menu bar. If the issue persists, try switching off WiFi & Bluetooth, Handoff, Airplay, File Sharing, the works.

This week I've been getting reports of a possible bug in Sierra 10.12.2 that will not let you open a Time Capsule file just by double-clicking. In my reports double-clicking resulted in a -36 (I/O error).

List Of Mac OS X Error Codes - krypted.com (http://krypted.com/lists/comprehensive-list-of-mac-os-x-error-codes/)

Good luck and a merry Xmas to you!

I do have an external Time Machine HD attached to my Airport Extreme, but it only backs up via wifi when the MBP is attached to power and this trash thing only happens while on battery power. One file was a screen shot taken just a few minutes before the event occurred. It is very random and not really causing me much inconvenience and most times the machine will allow a simple restart to correct the behaviour. I can live with it for now.

Merry Christmas to you and all who assist folks here. Thanks!

hexdiy
Dec 24th, 2016, 04:06 PM
My pleasure entirely!
Very often I work odd hours and my holiday invitations are a bit askew because of that and my family situation...
So I'm usually very pleased to hit upon an interesting question like this, often also at odd moments. Helps me to get rid of some blues...

So one more question:

it only backs up via wifi when the MBP is attached to power and this trash thing only happens while on battery power.

Are you sure Finder is not trying in vain to locate a file in the Local Snapshots folder? Try turning those off, both on mains power as well as battery operation.

As to the -36 error bug:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7788357

Until recently, I was able to stream movies by WiFi from my TC to my PowerBook, but now I'm also getting the same 'Error -36' in all video applications (VLC, QuickTime, Roxio Media Player and MPEG Streamclip), unless I use the 'Open file' function.

Good luck, and, la paix, mon ami!

CubaMark
Dec 24th, 2016, 06:35 PM
I'm having some odd Finder behaviour in Sierra... to the point where I had to toss the com.apple.Finder.plist file in order to get things back in shape.

I did not do a nuke-and-pave... though I may do so soon just to clear out the cobwebs....