: AppleCare

csonni
Nov 23rd, 2016, 06:15 AM
Coming up to my end of my 1 year of AppleCare and need to decide if I want an additional 2 years. Apple charges $279. I remember getting it elsewhere for cheaper. Not enough time left to go the way of eBay. Any other places to consider?

rgray
Nov 23rd, 2016, 07:16 AM
Some of thise cheapo eBay prices are for fraudulant numbers.

Shame to find out just when you need it!!! :rolleyes:

Never ceases to amaze me that people will pay top dollar for an Apple computer and then want to cheap-out on all the accessories.... Go figure! :rolleyes:

csonni
Nov 23rd, 2016, 08:03 AM

I remember buying a legit AppleCare number on eBay a number of years ago. No issue there.
As far as accessories go such as extra chargers,etc....I agree. I definitely wouldn't consider AppleCare an accessory. An accessory is something you could and would use on a daily basis. AppleCare is something you may never use. I'd call it an add-on if anything.

SINC
Nov 23rd, 2016, 10:10 AM
I only buy Applecare from the Apple Store. It is the only way to protect yourself and your machine. It has benefited me more than it cost over the years.

SINC
Nov 23rd, 2016, 10:59 AM

monokitty
Nov 23rd, 2016, 11:18 AM
Coming up to my end of my 1 year of AppleCare and need to decide if I want an additional 2 years. Apple charges $279. I remember getting it elsewhere for cheaper. Not enough time left to go the way of eBay. Any other places to consider?

It's a fair bit less if you qualify for educational pricing. But if not, even the $279 is worth it. Considering the newer Macs have almost no DIY repairability, it's honestly a no brainer at this point.

macintosh doctor
Nov 23rd, 2016, 12:26 PM

stick with apple - maybe on friday - they may have black friday sale on them.
dont buy AppleCare from eBay or anywhere else unless it is an apple reseller - local one

rgray
Nov 23rd, 2016, 05:54 PM

Shame to find out just when you need it!!! :rolleyes:

Never ceases to amaze me that people will pay top dollar for an Apple computer and then want to cheap-out on all the accessories.... Go figure! :rolleyes:

I remember buying a legit AppleCare number on eBay a number of years ago. No issue there.
As far as accessories go such as extra chargers,etc....I agree. I definitely wouldn't consider AppleCare an accessory. An accessory is something you could and would use on a daily basis. AppleCare is something you may never use. I'd call it an add-on if anything.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: OK, so make that "accessories AND add-ons....." since you seem determined to miss the point.....

csonni
Nov 26th, 2016, 05:29 PM
So, I purchased Applecare from apple.ca and got the confirmation email, but how do I register it before Monday's expiration date? It won't arrive till Dec. 12. I suppose my proof of purchase email with the date of purchase would suffice, although I can't register my MBP until I physically get the certificate number.

rgray
Nov 26th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Cutting it a little fine, are we??

I think the only recourse you have would be to phone the Apple store and "shop by phone"?

csonni
Nov 26th, 2016, 06:01 PM
I just had Apple call me back and she said my order# is enough until I receive the Applecare certificate in the mail when I can then register it with my MBP.
Anyone went this way before?

pm-r
Nov 26th, 2016, 09:29 PM

I don't know, but I'd suspect that they wouldn't leave things so late… :o

At least Apple seems to be fairly liberal and forgiving… :cool: :greedy: :rolleyes:

macintosh doctor
Nov 27th, 2016, 01:43 PM
I just had Apple call me back and she said my order# is enough until I receive the Applecare certificate in the mail when I can then register it with my MBP.

YOUR CONFIRMATION NUMBER IS proof that you bought it before the date of expiry you should be fine.

HenriHelvetica
Dec 13th, 2016, 10:53 AM
I only buy Applecare from the Apple Store. It is the only way to protect yourself and your machine. It has benefited me more than it cost over the years.

+1 here. Would never - ever bother w/ anything that isn't from  relating to warranty. I few bucks savings isn't with potential headaches - in my eyes.

$300 to cover a lap from top to bottom for 730 more days? maintaining it's resale value? Count me in.

H!

wonderings
Dec 19th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Why do you need something physical? I thought you could just buy it online and active it right away through Apple? Seems counter productive to need a physical shipment of something when all you need is a code to activate. It has been a few years since I purchased AppleCare, but then I did it right at the time of purchase.

csonni
Dec 19th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Online purchases don't reveal the actual code. At best, they should email it as soon as the charge is approved.