: ScanGuard - Legit or scam?

krs
Nov 10th, 2016, 12:07 AM
I somehow ended up reading about scanguard on a US news site.

Tried to get a bit of independant info on it and came across some sites that claim the software is malware and others that claim the software is legit - ie it cleans up any malware and issues on your Mac.

So which is it?

btw - malwarebytes was recommended to do a legit malware scan on the Mac.
Any comments on it?

macintosh doctor
Nov 10th, 2016, 12:36 AM
malware bytes - is amazing.. works everytime.

pm-r
Nov 10th, 2016, 12:47 AM

Did you get here???:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/58180/scanguard

But even more important, why do you think you might even remotely even need it…or why…???

krs
Nov 10th, 2016, 01:32 AM
Did you get here???:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/58180/scanguard

No, but I saw that when I did a google serach to see if this software was legit.

But even more important, why do you think you might even remotely even need it…or why…???
No particular reason.
I just came across it - sounds a bit too good to be true - all the different things that software is supposed to do so I'm a bit suspicious especially when I read this:
ScanGuard ? | MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/scanguard.2006211/)

keysofanxiety claims it's malware

SINC
Nov 10th, 2016, 04:30 AM
I too saw this program and considered downloading the free offer. Much like MacKeeper, you can't download anything free as every link I tried took me to a paid link of a 'lite' version. I have dozens of readers who ask me Mac related questions and I like to be able to answer them honestly. After my efforts the answer on this one will be, 'be afraid and stay very far away'. ;)

BReligion
Nov 10th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Any comments on it?

Malwarebytes is great. Used it a few times to clean various Mac's.
Fast, efficient and never had an issue with it.

BReligion

eMacMan
Nov 10th, 2016, 10:08 AM
I had also spotted this one. It was a sponsored ad at a newsite (Yahoo) that also still runs sponsored ads for MacKeeper.

Decided to place it on the "No way Hosehead list" just below MacKeeper. At least until I hear otherwise.

HowEver
Nov 10th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Even if it was free and did what it says, you'll never need it. Don't waste your time.

Tried to get a bit of independant info on it and came across some sites that claim the software is malware and others that claim the software is legit - ie it cleans up any malware and issues on your Mac.

So which is it?

Any comments on it?

John Clay
Nov 10th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Even if it was free and did what it says, you'll never need it. Don't waste your time.

+1

But it's definitely a scam.

eMacMan
Nov 14th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Meanwhile MacKeeper continues with its Trojan ways.

pm-r
Nov 14th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Meanwhile MacKeeper continues with its Trojan ways.

Are you not using any type of ad blocker??

eMacMan
Nov 14th, 2016, 08:46 PM
It's a sponsored ad, which means it by passes adblocking by being passed along as a news story. My point was that anyone who has installed MacKeeper is certain to have the symptoms described. No wonder so many MacKeeper clients report it.:D