: Canadian ISP Performance Testing

WCraig
Nov 4th, 2016, 09:03 AM
CRTC has sponsored testing of Canadian ISP's actual performance v. the speeds in their published plans. The tests are conducted by an organization called SamKnows. The latest report is at:

SamKnows Analysis of Broadband Performance in Canada - March & April 2016 (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/reports/rp160929/rp160929.htm)

Overall, Canadians are getting the up and download speeds claimed by the supplier...with some exceptions.

Craig
(I've been participating in this study for a couple of years.)

macintosh doctor
Nov 4th, 2016, 09:54 AM
interesting results - most of the bell and rogers clietns not to mention cogeco are 70% of advertised, when i speak to actual clients..
i guess i would like to know what time of day this test was conducted...

TiltAgain
Nov 5th, 2016, 03:54 AM
Well, the existence of the test and the details of the participants was shared with each ISP. The ISPs were aware as to the tests being conducted and where the Whiteboxes were located.

So, what was to prevent the ISPs from shaping traffic to just those subscribers to show high performance? If these tests were conducted completely without the knowledge of the ISPs, then I would tend to give more credence to the results.

This is like Speedtest.net - every ISP can tell when speed tests are being done, and during those times they make sure they provide full throughput. Does not give a reasonably credible indication of performance on other sites and times.

Cheers

WCraig
Nov 5th, 2016, 10:40 AM
interesting results - most of the bell and rogers clietns not to mention cogeco are 70% of advertised, when i speak to actual clients..
i guess i would like to know what time of day this test was conducted...

The tests are run numerous times per day, 7/24.

Craig

WCraig
Nov 5th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Well, the existence of the test and the details of the participants was shared with each ISP. The ISPs were aware as to the tests being conducted and where the Whiteboxes were located.

So, what was to prevent the ISPs from shaping traffic to just those subscribers to show high performance? If these tests were conducted completely without the knowledge of the ISPs, then I would tend to give more credence to the results.

This is like Speedtest.net - every ISP can tell when speed tests are being done, and during those times they make sure they provide full throughput. Does not give a reasonably credible indication of performance on other sites and times.

I guess you should sign up for the SamKnows project and then your connection will get prioritized too! Seriously, given the sizeable number folks doing SamKnows testing, I don't think it is possible that an ISP can fudge the results for everyone. In my case, I'm pretty sure Cogeco didn't know I was participating until a couple of months after I started. And then only because of overages.

SamKnows uses a lot of data. My wife and kids stream video quite a bit but our usage basically doubled when we went onto SamKnows. (Cogeco waives overage charges because we're in the program.) Note that SamKnows is smart enough not to do measurements while we're using the internet. If I start downloading a software update, or my daughter is watching Netflix, or whatever, any SamKnows test is suspended until the internet connection goes back to idle.

Craig

macintosh doctor
Nov 5th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I guess you should sign up for the SamKnows project and then your connection will get prioritized too! Seriously, given the sizeable number folks doing SamKnows testing, I don't think it is possible that an ISP can fudge the results for everyone. In my case, I'm pretty sure Cogeco didn't know I was participating until a couple of months after I started. And then only because of overages.

SamKnows uses a lot of data. My wife and kids stream video quite a bit but our usage basically doubled when we went onto SamKnows. (Cogeco waives overage charges because we're in the program.) Note that SamKnows is smart enough not to do measurements while we're using the internet. If I start downloading a software update, or my daughter is watching Netflix, or whatever, any SamKnows test is suspended until the internet connection goes back to idle.

Craig
overages? are you kidding me? seriously ?
you are with the wrong provider - see my link in my signature.
unlimited internet - no overages, all you can eat.
i have been with vmedia for years with no overages (https://www.vmedia.ca/cart/default.aspx?partner=5328A0153DBB060CA1372E869A85C 5AF93A760FF4FD0B0), pricing cheap and fair - you need to find a provider who supports you.
My family lives on the NET - so i cant afford any less than unlimited.