: Tech Support Scam - How to protect the elderly???

jasonwood
Sep 28th, 2016, 08:17 PM
So I got a call from my grandad and found out he had just been on the phone for an hour with "Apple" as a result of getting "Locked Out" of his computer. They tried to extort $700-$800 for an annual support plan or something but sounds like he didn't go for it.

My first instinct was to get the computer OFF because who knows what sort of remote access they could have going on. There was an app called LogMeIn Rescue that was preventing shut down so I guided him to force quit that and then shut down the computer until it could be taken to the Apple Store (or myself). I tried to get the number he called but he couldn't find it.

It's difficult to deal with this over the phone because he doesn't remember the last 30 seconds very well let alone the last hour. I have no idea what they were doing during this hour long phone call. Was it all just discussing support plans and payment options with the goal of extorting $700 or were they digging around in his computer or convincing him to reveal passwords, etc? He's already called his bank to get his accounts frozen.

How do we protect our elderly from these threats???

Kleles
Sep 28th, 2016, 11:33 PM
I’m about to help a senior friend buy and start using an iPad. It will be his first sustained computer experience and I’ve been thinking about a few ground rules to protect him against scams and fraud. Here are some:

1. Don’t speak to anyone WHO CALLS YOU saying they are from Apple, or any other organization you see on your screen (e.g., your bank, your library), or your internet provider. Tell them to send you a paper letter, not e-mail, to your home address. If they don’t have your address, don’t give it to them, say “GOODBYE.”

2. Don’t EVER give anyone WHO CALLS YOU your email address, passwords, your home address, location, what you see on your screen, or any personal information.

3. Don’t respond to e-mail from banks, even your bank. They’ll tell you that your account has to be verified or it will be closed, overdrawn, loans due, investment opportunities, etc. and implore you to “click here” to respond. If you have any concerns, YOU call your bank.

4. There are no Nigerian princes, Hong Kong billionaires, or Austrian counts who want to give you money, help them transfer money, pay reparations, send you an inheritance, etc. They are all “phishing” for your banking and personal information to scam you.

Any suggestions?

SINC
Oct 21st, 2016, 03:30 PM
These days HP Dj3638 printer support (https://123hpprintersupport.com/hp-deskjet-3638-setup.html) is managed by remote support and I would say first we need to give it a try in house by looking at the HP Printer User guide, maximum problem arises only we are not able to download the proper patches or virus in our system. Otherwise it should work

SPAM! Reported.

eMacMan
Nov 6th, 2016, 02:32 PM
One of the issues from the OP, is that user in question seems to be suffering from at least a mild form of dementia.

Not meaning that in a derogatory manner, rather I am trying to say that he is unlikely to retain the rather simple instructions we all need to defend ourselves from aggressive/malicious phishing expeditions.

I guess my best suggestions would be a white-list for eMail, everything else gets auto dumped or forwarded to a dummy address which could be properly monitored by a caring family member. Obviously they would not be able to set that up on their own.

For phone calls a constant reminder that anyone who is not family or friend be immediately referred to a responsible party. Again in severe cases perhaps a white list of phone numbers can be arranged with all other calls being blocked or referred to an alternate number to allow filtering. My cousin had to do this for my uncle over his last two years. I believe the approach was to only allow local area code to dial through.

Hope that was of some help.

EDIT: If I am not misinterpreting the OP, you may want to reconsider banking arrangements. I had to handle my mom's banking via a power of attorney for her last three years. Obviously a solid relationship of trust is required.

WARNING: If the parent is in Canada, no one whom the IRS claims to be an American for tax purposes should be given financial power of attorney. If that person were to fail to timely file various forms with finCEN and/or the IRS, it could result in the IRS attempting to seize or order frozen that persons financial accounts. Since the IRS has a stranglehold over every major banks US assets, a bank may well determine it is safer to violate Canadian law than to stand up to the IRS.