: Safari 10 Font Preferences MIA

gwillikers
Sep 21st, 2016, 01:57 AM
Just noticed that Apple has removed the ability to independently adjust minimum font sizing in Safari 10 preferences. It is now just a simple zoom percentage adjustment.
This is absolutely a horrible omission for vision impaired people. Anger is building in the Apple Discussions Forums...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7674863?start=0&tstart=0

They need to change it back to the way it's always been asap.

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-30676381-750905/1145_900.png

CubaMark
Sep 21st, 2016, 11:14 AM
I haven't done the upgrade yet, so cannot check this. Are there any options under System Preferences --> Accessibility that might help?

pm-r
Sep 21st, 2016, 05:21 PM
Any chance that the previous Safari 9.1.3 would install and run in MacOS Sierra???

At least it has the proper option for font size.

heavyall
Sep 21st, 2016, 05:29 PM
There is a reason I'm still using Mavericks. It works how I want it to, and I'm tired of Apple taking away features that I use.

pm-r
Sep 21st, 2016, 06:03 PM
There is a reason I'm still using Mavericks. It works how I want it to, and I'm tired of Apple taking away features that I use.

The other crazy thing after reading some summaries about all the "new macOS features" that once again Apple is flogging, is that unless one has no more than about a two or three year old Mac, 99+% of the new OS's "features" don't even run or work on older Macs.

Bizarre!!! So why bother "updating" in order to loose some features that did work or got changed for no apparent sensible reason.

Oh right, I forgot, 'cause his highness (cough, choke) Sir Jonathan Paul "Jony" Ive said so and things have to be kept streamlined and thin.

macfoto
Sep 24th, 2016, 05:37 PM
I thought maybe one could do something with an alternate style sheet, but I don't know if there is an equivalent. Or does someone else know of setting a minimum font size using css?

pm-r
Sep 24th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Have you checked the apple discussions page which has grown a fair bit in the last few days, and besides all the comments saying to send feedback to Apple, there's some discussion of ccs style sheets and the font size but haven't finished reading or understanding it all, with the info starting about page 4:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7674863?start=0&tstart=0

Anyway, some seems to be having some success with some of the suggestions including using Terminal that seems to be working for many.

Kaeve Kaeve Sep 21, 2016 11:35 PM in response to Egtverchi Level 1 (9 points)
Sep 21, 2016 11:35 PM in response to Egtverchi
I agree that this is annoying and stupid, especially for Apple, who are usually excellent at providing accessibility features for users. Looking online, I found a solution though. Enter the following into terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit 2MinimumFontSize -int 14

Replace the number 14 at the end with whatever you want your minimum font size to be. Then restart safari.

EDIT:
Also now a link there to for basically the same info and maybe more options:
Specify Minimum Font Size in Safari 10.0, macOS Sierra - Ask Different (http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/253665/specify-minimum-font-size-in-safari-10-0-macos-sierra)

I'd still send feedback to Apple unless they fix it soon with some update.
I think I'll just stay with Safari 9.1.3 on my old 2007 MBPro with El Cap'n !!!

- Patrick
=======

eMacMan
Sep 24th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Strikes me that having to use Terminal to adjust minimum font size in the main browser is pretty much the opposite of trying to simplify.:eek:

pm-r
Sep 24th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Strikes me that having to use Terminal to adjust minimum font size in the main browser is pretty much the opposite of trying to simplify.:eek:

Maybe you could ask Apple and maybe get some sort of a reasonable reply. Yeah right!! choke, cough.

But I sure wouldn't hold your breath!!!

Like just too many backward changes in so many things recently that just don't make any sense to a normal thinking user, but it seems to be their "new direction" and almost like they took their own slogan phrase "Think Different" and went the wrong directions.

gwillikers
Sep 25th, 2016, 03:01 AM
You can also use TinkerTool to change the font and font sizes in Safari. A bit easier than using the Terminal. It's a free app and was just updated a few days ago...

TinkerTool: Description (http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html)

pm-r
Sep 25th, 2016, 02:17 PM
You can also use TinkerTool to change the font and font sizes in Safari. A bit easier than using the Terminal. It's a free app and was just updated a few days ago...

TinkerTool: Description (http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html)

Good suggestion.

For some reason I seem to forget good old TinkerTool, but a nice simple solution.

I assume one would need the latest version for that feature or was it always available?

macfoto
Sep 26th, 2016, 06:20 PM
It doesn't look like css can do exactly this. It is strange that Apple left the option out. Terminal is the antithesis of why most people have a Mac and having to download another program isn't ideal either. Sent a message as feedback, hopefully Apple will listen to those responding to this and bring it back.

pm-r
Sep 26th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Well, I gather that pre-Sierra OS users of Safari can at least go back to v. 9.1.3 if they don't like things in the v. 10.0, as I assume it won't run in Sierra.

And it does seem that Terminal is having to be used more and more with Apple's recent OS X releases. Not exactly something that Apple was famous for users having to use so much.

gwillikers
Sep 26th, 2016, 08:12 PM
My friend is having constant crashes with Safari 10. I had him do all the usual things (run Onyx, clear the cache, clear cookies, etc.) but to no avail. I had to suggest he just switch to Chromium or Firefox in the meantime.
I then did a search on the Apple Discussions Forum for "Safari 10 crash". There's a ton of people having problems with this new version of Safari.

I would appear that, once again, Apple is using their golden master releases as a beta test. Which is why more and more people are waiting for several point releases of an OS or major app before jumping onboard.

pm-r
Sep 26th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Which is why more and more people are waiting for several point releases of an OS or major app before jumping onboard.

And the main reason why Mavericks 10.9 5 is still my daily 2011 iMac OS X user and iOS 9.1 on my 2011 iPad 2.

I've allowed El Cap'n to be the boot OS on my little used 2007 MBPro (w/ SDD) , but I'll skip the Safari 10.0 update of now thanks.