: About the headphone jack or lack thereof

iMatt
Sep 8th, 2016, 12:34 PM
I think most people see this as classic Apple, eliminating a port (or drive) before anyone else, and before many people are ready for it.

So far, it has always worked out fine for both the company and the users despite plenty of initial whingeing.

This time, I wonder. The standard jack is convenient, simple, cheap and ubiquitous. It surely can't take up all that much internal space.

Instead of providing wireless ear buds, they're providing Lightning ones, so the "eliminating wires" philosophy isn't exactly front and centre. And some people will surely be peeved by not being able to charge and listen simultaneously. My own use case: most of my iPhone listening is done in the car, and my car does not have Bluetooth. So typically the phone is simultaneously charging and using an aux cable.

If I had an iPhone 7, I would need a dongle and (depending on the dongle) probably have to swap between charging and listening now and then. Not tragic, but less convenient than it is now.

And Apple's wireless ear buds... well there is zero chance I would ever buy them. I know I'm not the only one who has trouble keeping Apple's crappy-sounding buds in my ears, so these things in addition to almost certainly sounding lousy would get lost in a hurry, barring a third-party lanyard of some kind, which would largely defeat the purpose. I suspect a lot of people who actually want to roll with Bluetooth will be opting for third-party headphones or earbuds.

What do you think?

Is this Apple paving the way for the future again?

Or has Apple eliminated the headphone jack unnecessarily?

monokitty
Sep 8th, 2016, 12:53 PM
They explained why they couldn't incorporate the headphone jack into the 7. And while the jack doesn't take up, subjectively, a huge amount of space, the iPhone 7 is a thin phone and real estate is at a premium when you add up everything else the device has internally.

Honestly, I don't get the uproar. Personally, it isn't a big deal. The same crying happened when the iMac G3 shipped without a floppy, and when the 2012 iMac shipped without an optical drive, and today, almost no one cares about either. The same thing will happen here. There will be a few months, or even a year, of loud vocal opponents and then back to no one caring. That's my prediction.

The reality is that many people aren't comfortable with change. It's not the lack of a jack in and of itself - it's the change to a new standard. Remember the uproar when lightning replaced the 30-pin? Same deal. If the jack has been around for decades, there's a large group of people who don't want to accept change, especially a change they don't deem absolutely necessary (but was in the iPhone 7, especially for the waterproofing).

BReligion
Sep 8th, 2016, 01:27 PM
I don't think it's a big deal. Its a culture shift, nothing more.

The nice thing is they are providing a lightning to 3.5mm jack for free in the packaging with the new headphones. I can see next years model not including the cable (or maybe the phone after that)... Just like the iPods at one time came with docking stations/stands.

If it were an accessory you had to buy like the Lightning to 30 pin dock connector people would loose their minds (more so then they are now). Smart move on Apple's part.

My car doesn't have Bluetooth either but does have an AUX jack (as i am guessing yours does iMatt). I've posted about this before on here, i picked up a Bluetooth Wireless Receiver from Princess auto (Bluetooth Wireless Music Receiver | Princess Auto (http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/bluetooth-wireless-music-receiver/A-p8475865e)) for like $14.99 when it was on sale. A little piece of velcro on the back of it and it's nicely hidden under a lip on my dash. No more fumbling with a retractable cable. It's great! I only have to bring it in the house (or into the office) to charge every few weeks (if even that). I haven't tried yet, but the charger have in the car is dual usb.. i could probably run a micro usb to the bt receiver, but i am not sure if it will charge while in use..... any who, fantastic device, highly recommended!

BReligion

iMatt
Sep 8th, 2016, 01:34 PM
I haven't checked out the explanation, but I'm skeptical that it was truly "necessary" even for water resistance (aren't there water-resistant devices that do have it)? And while it's always good to free up some real estate, I do think this is a risky bit of real estate to target.

In any case, I'm on the fence. I think it probably will work out fine just like it has with every other port or drive that Apple was first to drop. But it will require some progress in wireless headsets before people really embrace it en masse, IMO. I would not even use those Apple wireless buds if they were free, tbh.

iMatt
Sep 8th, 2016, 01:39 PM
I'm aware of that kind of Bluetooth receiver. I think Griffin also has one. So if my current car outlasts my current phone (and it probably will), it is indeed an easy and elegant solution. Hell, maybe I'll just go ahead and get one and ditch the aux cable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not up in arms over this, but a lot of people are. Just curious to see what what's left of the ehMac community has to say about it.

Thank you both for your posts and keep 'em coming!

BReligion
Sep 8th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Hell, maybe I'll just go ahead and get one and ditch the aux cable.

That was exactly my feeling, i have so many Aux Cables (including a Griffin Retractable one that wasn't cheap (by comparison to your average aux cable).
i wasn't about to spend $30 on this... and i was highly skeptical about it. I just happened to see it in the store and it was on sale, said what the heck lets try it..... so glad i did.

If the car i am in ever bites the bullet i am sure i have a stereo receiver that isn't BT in the house this will move to.. Currently again, aux cable just dangling waiting for a device to be plugged into it.

BReligion

kloan
Sep 8th, 2016, 09:52 PM
The only times I use my iPhone for music is in the car and in the gym. In my car, I use an aux port. So the adapter would just stay in the car, no big deal. In the gym I use Jaybird Bluebud X earphones because I got sick of my earphone cables constantly getting snagged on the equipment, yanking them out of my ears. They actually sound pretty good too.

I think it's a real shame they made those EarPods wireless. I haven't met a single person who's been able to get a good fit with those stupid things. The least they could have done is made them IEMs. This is one accessory where the price is actually on point, compared to other products on the market (and actually better than quite a few of the wireless BT ones). These are something I definitely would have purchased had they been IEMs. Perhaps there'll be a 3rd party accessory to convert them to IEMs.

rgray
Sep 8th, 2016, 11:57 PM
And for the iPhone 7 wannabes - Apple Plug (http://appleplugs.com)
Upgrade to iPhone 7 with Apple Plug.
This isn't 2009. Your phone doesn't have a floppy drive, and it shouldn't have a headphone connector either. When we made iPhone 6 and 6s, the world wasn't ready for the future. Now, it is. Apple Plug is the perfect solution. Fill in your archaic headphone connector with beautiful aluminium and plug yourself into the future.

http://appleplugs.com/img/animation-1.gif

WCraig
Sep 9th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Interesting article here about how eliminating the headphone jack takes Apple a step past the Amazon Echo:

What Apple has done with its proprietary wireless radio in the AirPods and an ability to easily connect those headphones to any Apple device using iCloud is to put Siri in your ear. Removing the audio jack and replacing it with expensive wireless ear buds is part of a long-term commitment to a better user experience for controlling a world of connected devices. And that UX is built around voice.
(My bold.)
Stacey Knows Things | Apple just one-upped Amazon in voice control (http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/?u=475676e92306092c075e1fbd5&id=5b9f25c20c&e=51cba5435c)

Craig

SINC
Sep 9th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Why not to buy Apple Airpods.

Apple's AirPod Headphones Are Awful Design (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a22747/apple-airpods-are-bad-design/)

heavyall
Sep 9th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Why you should buy Apple EarPods:

Apple's AirPods aren't just wireless earbuds. They're the future of computing. (http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2016/09/apple_s_airpods_aren_t_just_wireless_earbuds_they_ re_the_future_of_computing.html)

On Wednesday, Apple revealed a radically futuristic new gadget that has the potential to rearrange our relationship to technology.

No, not the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, which represent at best a stepwise improvement over their nearly identical-looking predecessors, and at worst a downgrade, depending on how dearly you'll miss the analog headphone jack.

I'm talking about the AirPods, those $159 wireless earpieces that Apple offered as the priciest of several alternatives to the audio dilemma it created for its own users. And no, Iím not joking.

In essence, Apple has launched a new device category in the guise of an overpriced iPhone accessory. The AirPods are the companyís first ear computer.

ldphoto
Sep 9th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Will the AirPods work with the Apple Watch Series 2? Bluetooth earbuds are nice to listed to music stored on the watch without having the phone nearby (I do this while mowing the lawn or other chores). Bluetooth seems more universal in my view.

Not having the wire between the buds has some benefits, considering my cat chewed up the wire on my current set, but I can definitely see myself losing an AirPod pretty easily.

I can't see myself abandoning my Bose QC15 headphones at the office though.

CubaMark
Sep 9th, 2016, 12:10 PM
....some people will surely be peeved by not being able to charge and listen simultaneously. My own use case: most of my iPhone listening is done in the car, and my car does not have Bluetooth. So typically the phone is simultaneously charging and using an aux cable.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--iYeCv86d--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/wrpnzhqe2upnpgblu1xt.jpg

(The Best Way To Charge Your iPhone 7 and Use Wired Headphones Is*a Giant $40 Dongle (http://gizmodo.com/the-best-way-to-charge-your-iphone-7-and-use-wired-head-1786401737))

iMatt
Sep 9th, 2016, 12:13 PM
And for the iPhone 7 wannabes - Apple Plug (http://appleplugs.com)

LOL. Or make your own with an old pair of headphones and a file? And I guess you'd better be sure about it, because getting it out again won't be easy.

iMatt
Sep 9th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Why you should buy Apple EarPods:

There may be very good technology reasons, but the fact that they are apparently the same basic form factor and slippery material as previous Apple ear buds is an immediate deal breaker, at least for me. YMMV.

The Best Way To Charge Your iPhone 7 and Use Wired Headphones Is*a Giant $40 Dongle

Errr, no. A lightning splitter would accomplish absolutely nothing in the car, which has a standard 3/8" jack. This thing is strictly for use with Lightning headphones, like the earbuds supplied by Apple. (Which I assume suck until proven otherwise, like all previous Apple earbuds that I've tried.)

The Bluetooth receivers already mentioned would work, and in fact could get a cable out of my car today, with any iPhone.

ldphoto
Sep 9th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Errr, no. A lightning splitter would accomplish absolutely nothing in the car, which has a standard 3/8" jack. This thing is strictly for use with Lightning headphones, like the earbuds supplied by Apple. (Which I assume suck until proven otherwise, like all previous Apple earbuds that I've tried.)

It would work, but you'd be in a double-dongle world. A lightning-to-3.5mm dongle plugged into one of the sides of the lightning splitter would work, with power connected to the other side of the splitter.

In my case, my car does not have bluetooth audio streaming (phone only on bluetooth), but has a USB port that recognizes iDevices, so I'm OK regardless.

heavyall
Sep 9th, 2016, 11:58 PM
Using a single cable to charge/sync/play is a better option anyway. I plug my iPhone in to my car via lightning now, and always did it by dock connector before that.

CubaMark
Sep 17th, 2016, 01:03 AM
https://i.redd.it/itjbewzmyulx.png

iMatt
Sep 17th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Now that's funny.

BReligion
Sep 17th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Lol, I wonder if that will require a special Apple branded application gel ;)

BReligion