: non-yahoo apps (can I ask about that here?)

mcoltezo
Sep 7th, 2016, 09:52 AM
HI,

I just got a message about apps I've never heard of. I tried to Google this but that wasn't helpful. This came out of the blue and I'm hoping someone is able to explain it to me. Thanks...oh...and I hope it's okay to ask this here. ....it's on my mac computer.... :)

polywog
Sep 7th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Well, Adium for one may be an example of a non-yahoo app connecting. Or iMessage for that matter. Yahoo may have revamped their security, but old apps may not be using the new protocols. Can't be of more help than that, I haven't used Yahoo in ages :)

mcoltezo
Sep 7th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Thanks for chiming in polywog. I don't use any apps as far as I know. I don't message through Yahoo. The message almost feels like a Spam except it came up overtop of my inbox.

polywog
Sep 7th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Well, if you don't use any there probably is no harm in disabling them. Just means that method of access will be cut off. Win-Win!

mcoltezo
Sep 7th, 2016, 07:11 PM
disable them....I guess so....good idea..... it's odd to get that message and I made it go away....not sure how.....but if it pops up again I'll do that. Thx. 'course I'm not quite sure how but maybe it will be obvious. we'll see.

rgray
Sep 8th, 2016, 12:04 AM
Sounds like a good time to run https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

eMacMan
Sep 8th, 2016, 02:06 AM
Was this when logging into a Yahoo or Yahoo Mail account? Or was it a message or eMail? If the latter I would suspect SPAM or even an attempt to install malware.

mcoltezo
Sep 14th, 2016, 12:48 PM
It only happened when I logged into my email. I don't bother going through the Yahoo main page and have my quick link go to mail log in. It was a message overtop of everything else. I'd never seen it before, nor since.